Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

My solution to Islam (from a western POV)

page: 20
<< 17  18  19   >>

join

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: demus

have you read one, yourself?

if not, how could you possibly know?

did somebody tell you?

what if they were wrong?

wouldn't it be fair to know that what you're going to criticize, whatever that might be?

I own a Bible, a Quran, The Dhammapada, Tao Te Ching, and several ancient mythologies. I also have books by Alister Crowley and different atheist authors. Not to mention different books written by scholars of those religions, and non religious philosophies as well. I actively seek out different views to challenge myself.

Do you ever challenge your faith? or is the threat from your god preventing it?

Can you dispute the Quran has order to kill?
edit on 07pm06pm312014-07-14T18:18:55-05:0006America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I think Islam lost its potential to be truely peaceful as soon as it lost its path away from the sufis. Your ideas are only theory and no way to know how that would really go.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aural
I think Islam lost its potential to be truely peaceful as soon as it lost its path away from the sufis. Your ideas are only theory and no way to know how that would really go.

Every religion has different sects you cant base actions of one group on another. As far as religion its interpretation that often causes the problem people always find justification for their acrions.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Sufi is not even a sect anymore and is a minority its an outside religion that is both part of islam and its own entity. I make no claims of one group over another really but am focusing on more negative aspects of the main sects. What i was saying was the sufi mystics seem very peaceful and open to people beleiving whatever religion or number of gods they want. Sufi was one of the possible paths islam could have taken but a different person took over so a different set of ideas ruled and that developed into what we have today. Of course there are other factors besides religion but the OP already sort of pointing that out saying Islam is a political force although not entirely true in some areas it does tie in with laws. Sorry for lack of detail i am pulling this from memory on history of sufis in islam i have read somewhere like a year ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19   >>

join