It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Californians ... Turning In Their Neighbors !!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   

So, faced with apparent indifference to stern warnings from state leaders and media alarms, cities across California have encouraged residents to tattle on their neighbors for wasting water — and the residents have responded in droves.

Sacramento, for instance, has received more than 6,000 reports of water waste this year, up twentyfold from last year.

Californians Keep Up With Joneses’ Water Use

PLUS

The situation is as bad as you can imagine. It's just going to be screwed. And relatively quickly. Unless it can find a way to get more water from somewhere Las Vegas is out of business.

Yet they're still building, which is stupid.

Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix and other cities headed for imminent water supply collapse; wave of drought refugees now inevitable

AND ... THIS MAY EXPLAIN:

Why Does the NSA Want to Keep Its Water Usage a Secret?

Early planning documents estimated that the NSA’s data center, which opened last year, would guzzle about 1.7 million gallons of water per day.

NOTE: 1,700,000 Gallons of Water per Day equates to enough water for over 17,000 people per day.

-
OPINION:

ALL Air-Evaporative-Cooling-Systems should be REPLACED with Closed-In-Underground-Cooling-Systems.

(i.e. stop throwing away water ... into the air )

FOR EXAMPLE: Tapping the Earth for Heating and Cooling

( AND for another "BIG" Bonus ... ROI-JOBS )

edit on 5-7-2014 by FarleyWayne because: ROI = Return-On-Investment

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I pay for my water I'll use I'll I want!

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
but the point is, will your grand kids have the same luxury......
a reply to: 3u40r15m

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: FarleyWayne

People worry far too much. The US and most likely the northern hemisphere are just going through the inevitable dry spell of an El Nino system. Dry summers, low rain, it comes and goes.

In the southern hemisphere we are just receding from the La Nina event, the opposite where it is very wet and cyclone prone weather in the northern summers, cool and mild summers in the south. In the last year we had a very mild summer by comparison in the north, with probably half the rainfall of previous years. The south had very hot and dry conditions, and so far we've been having a mild but cool winter here. The same will eventually happen in the US. Flashback to around 2000 here and some of the dams were as low as 8%, Three years ago they overflowed and flooded major capitals.

My take is the events are shifting again going on the recurring summers over the last few years, I would suspect within a year or two the US will go back to La Nina and get the rain it needs.

What most people forget is most of the south western US is desert, tamed and made green by the spread of cities and populace. Given half a chance it will return to it's natural state. We went through almost 7 years of El Nino here, it just teaches people to be smarter with water.

As for people dobbing people in, the media always hypes up water shortages to make them seem worse than what they are. Add to that the 'name and shame' fad that's all over the internet right now, it's now surprise people are out doing everything they can to get their five minutes of facebook fame by snapping shots of water wastage and dobbing everyone and everyone else in. It's just become a sad hallmark of the society we live in.

edit on 5/7/2014 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: scubagravy

I hope so. If they divide te state up and do it right. And a little rain might help...

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3u40r15m
I hope so. If they divide te state up and do it right. And a little rain might help...

The "Divided States of America"?

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: scubagravy

Absolutely not they won't, because this is the same train of thought that leads to other such statements.

It's my yard I can dump my used oil out back if I want...
It's just a little waste water, pipe it out back to the stream...
F- that McD's bag the street sweeper will pick it up..
I make enough money to pay the bills, I can leave the A.C. on while I'm gone.
Screw pickin them weeds, squirt some roundup on it.

I could probably elaborate, but won't. It's people and their statements like this that make me sick.

@ 74Templar~ Most of these big cities in the southwest had water tables that were just beneath the surface a hundred years ago. Now they are hundreds of feet below if present at all, so La~nina isn't going to replenish anything. Sentiments like 3u40 will stop any solutions from happening and these places will become ghost towns. Another thing you don't hear about is how fast these cities are sinking into the desert because of the water displacement due to the table disappearing.
edit on 5-7-2014 by Quauhtli because: Had to squirt some roundup on it...

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   

The tattling on your neighbor thing is nothing new in Cali... Especially for water consumption and waste dumping. My father works for a large city in Northern CA as an environmental control officer but mostly deals with water/ waste water. We've had more years of drought than not so there are always water restriction concerns. The media is just sensationalizing things. It's just like there are people online saying that the Central Valley isn't receiving irrigation to farm land. Of course these fools don't live here and have no idea. I actually live here, in the middle of an ag area and even receive irrigation for my property. I took pics and video of the irrigation and fools still didn't believe we were getting irrigation water, basically calling me a liar and I guess I was faking my evidence lol. My property isn't even essential ag land and we're receiving regular irrigation. If they haven't cut us off then it's not completely dire yet but try telling that to the chicken littles of the interwebz :/

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   

@ 74Templar~ Most of these big cities in the southwest had water tables that were just beneath the surface a hundred years ago. Now they are hundreds of feet below if present at all, so La~nina isn't going to replenish anything. Sentiments like 3u40 will stop any solutions from happening and these places will become ghost towns. Another thing you don't hear about is how fast these cities are sinking into the desert because of the water displacement due to the table disappearing.

While I agree that being silly with water in any desert climate regardless is just outright irresponsibility (I come from a country which is about 80% desert), the answer is just to be smarter with water.

During the worst of it here we were only allowed to water on odd days of the week, and only at dusk. Car washing was just not allowed. People began to use grey water and re-use the water from toilets and showers for stuff like that, so it can be re-used. As I said it's all about being smarter with what you have rather than just wasting it outright. Mind you, given the state of the US right now, I wouldn't even be surprised to find the water stocks being deliberately depleted to control the people more. Let's face it, no water will subdue a populace, particularly some of the larger populations very quickly.

Things get pretty dry depending on where in the country you live every year regardless, but if you follow the cycles of weather the northern hemisphere is due within 1-2 years to shift back to wetter seasons whcih will no doubt ease the burdens, if only temporarily.

I just hope the US doesn't have the kneejerk reaction they had in South Australia and spend an overblown budget on a desalination plant that is all but useless and will eventually wipe out all marine life off the coast there.

At the core of the argument though, you are 100% right, people need to start being smarter with their water consumption regardless. Our children will be the ones that suffer ultimately from this current world attitude of waste and want we seem to take for granted across the world.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Quauhtli

I'll give EVERYONE (regardless) ... a BONUS:

-
For the last 3 months, I've manually turned the 220V-Breaker ON-n-OFF to our ... WATER-HEATER.

ON 1-Hour in the Morning and ON 2-Hours in the Evening ...
( all other times it's OFF ).

"Morning" ... covers showers and dishwashing.

"Evening" ... covers baths and clothes-washing.

This SAVES us approx 400 Kwh per month.

OR

12 cents per Kwh X 400 = $48.00 savings per month.

-
NEXT STEP:

Automatic-Timer and ROI approximately 3 months.

edit on 5-7-2014 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

H20 is a $600 billion business, but it will grow to a $1 trillion by over the next six years according to a research report by Bank of America Merrill Lynch which cites dozens of companies that it thinks should benefit from water related themes and have global exposure to the water business.

The report breaks the global water market into four distinct categories. For water treatment the list includes firms like Stericycle (SRCL). For water management, companies like Monsanto (MON) fit the bill. When it comes to water infrastructure & supply the list includes companies like American Water Works (AWK). The final group contains water-friendly energy companies that provide wind, solar and geothermal opportunities like NRG Energy (NRG).

Linky

This has not been a surprice to big investors and land in areas where there are a water source or a nearby water source which could be put in use by fracking has been bought. In a least than ten years big companies owns a water sources which should be a human right and prices go high. And actually they wish you use your water sources dry so they can sell their water to you ( propably with some added chemicals )..

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

originally posted by: 3u40r15m

The "Divided States of America"?

laugh now It's gpnna happen,,

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: FarleyWayne
NOTE: 1,700,000 Gallons of Water per Day equates to enough water for over 17,000 people per day.

A third of water is used for cooling and is returned the river, it is not permanently consumed.
edit on 5-7-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Looking at the NSA's data centre in size it's going to need a lot of cooling as i'd assume they're going for as higher density of servers as possible which doesn't half generate heat which even with the power off to them it will take possibly several hours to cool down the room safely

but i'd imagine that most of the water being pulled in would be more for drinking/toilets etc (thousands of NSA spooks needing the potty = lots of flushes a day ) as the water for the cooling system wouldn't need much daily input as it could be ran in a sealed system and I remember IBM has one system where they were using it to heat up water for heating the rest of the building just using the excess heat

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Hard to feel sorry for people who choose to build in swamps (ie NO,LA), deserts, where the ground is unstable, where wildfires are a real risk, etc. I'm all for being intrepid, but don't complain when your intrepidness leaves you feeling thirsty. Live in the desert and know what you're doing and know there's risks or find another place to live. The lack of water in the desert is fairly common knowledge. Oh and don't plant huge lawns and gardens there that will use up all of your water.

I know it's an odd way of looking at this situation, but really, how else can we look at it? In the end, this will cost us all a lot of money to fix. Why should someone's desire to live where the conditions aren't ideally suited for that, cost me or anyone else with the sense to not do what is requiring a big fix?

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Good suggestion. We got a "suitcase" tankless water heater. It snaps on only when we draw water through it with the hot water tap. Provides continuous stream of hot water when needed. When not needed, the water heater is "off". You'll be able to relate when I tell you why we got this water heater. Several years ago, electric rates went up considerably where we live. I don't sleep well and on numerous occasions, at 1:00 or 2:00 in the a.m. I'd hear that blasted electric water heater come on. Thougth to myself, "what a waste". So...we ditched it for the tankless.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The water is used for cooling and is returned the river, it is not permanently consumed.

Utah Data Center Layout - ( Notice 12 Cooling Towers )

AND

Actual Photo of Half (6-of-12) of the
HUGE Cooling-Towers and Chillers

-
KEYWORDS: "Water" and "Evaporation"

OPINION: Lots of ... THEM.

( i.e. POOF! ... and gone )

edit on 5-7-2014 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

That's funny, they jump at turning their neighbors in for using too much water, but they're tight lipped when a crime has been committed in their neighborhood.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
This is dumb. Residential areas only use a small percentage of overall water consumption within a municipality. There's a lack of some resources out there, but water really isn't one of them. Plenty of water in the oceans. We just need to be implementing water desalination plants, if this were truly a crisis worthy of paying attention to.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Warka Water Towers

Perhaps a few million of those would be beneficial.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join