It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karawang Farmers Defend Land From Corporate Eviction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Karawang Farmers Defend Land From Corporate Eviction

About 1200 peasant farmers of the village of Karawang, Indonesia prepared to defend 350 hectares of farm lands that they have tended and survived off of for generations. The land in dispute has been designated by local Indonesian government for the expansion of a factory owned by Agung Podomoro and the people of Karawang seem to have no recourse except to resist.

On Tuesday the 24th, about 7000 fully equipped riot police forces descended on the village with two water cannon vehicles to enforce the land ruling. The local residents had prepared tire barricades and hand weapons yet tried first to non-violently resist the encroaching forces.

I feel for these people. They should be able to keep their farmland and not have to resort to a protest to show their government that what the government is doing is unfair. How much money are the farmers loosing vs the money the company owned by Agung Podomoro is getting?

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

I saw this video last night just before I fell asleep. So much power being unleashed against its own people. I've known people who have had their homes expropriated and though it really devastated them, they were able to keep on. In this case however, it is not only their way of life that's being obliterated, but also their livelihood. How sad that the government acts to destroy that, and probably destroys them too in the process. It makes me angry that alternative solutions have not been applied to create a win-win situation.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Did no one tell these folks they can just get another job!? Hell, why dont they just work for the factory owner taking all of their land!?

Gotta love corporatism! I'll have a fresh squeeze of that please!
These farmers will be fine, just like cats, always land on their feet, no need to worry people, corporatism is good for you. Look at how many jobs were creating. Look at how were improving everyone's lives by organizing the workforce!

Yup, you need us! Now give me your land. Its MINE.
edit on 7-7-2014 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

new topics

join