It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Colorado Mary Jane Facade

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Touchie are You?

Media? I was Asking if I could See them, you say none, Cool! Wait?

Chill Bro! Black Market will just switch to something else anyways. War on Drugs would have been over in a year, cost little, problem solved!

Make all drugs legal, just have to buy it from the State. Did hear something about crime going down, dig out my old Peace shirts; Cronic The Hemp Hog lol I bet Vintage Tee Shirts are making bank! Have 4-6, Cat in the Hat Stove pipe hats.

Let me know!

Peace

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

Hip hop/rap is a niche. A segment of the music industry.
a reply to: rockintitz

It's not, it's a direct result of the CIA involvement in distributing drugs to poor black neighborhoods in the 50's which resulted in the gang wars in L.A. (crypts and bloods), which then spread like wildfire throughout the U.S. Later, "hiphop" became something based on a large community of people who lived in this new culture, spawned by the CIA. It's not just a music genre or "niche", it's an entire culture.

Anyway, that's a different thread. At least we agree that MJ isn't a "niche".

Lol, I know, I don't wanna derail this thread and get into economics.
I will just say I respect your point of view. And now I'm going to bed.
edit on 5-7-2014 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: infoseeker26754

Touchie are You?

A little, yes. I'm just a little tired of the myths that some groups make up about this choice people made in my state. Sorry if I seem hostile. I'm not hostile, just passionate.

People voted for this. I'm just tired of all the BS and lies. It's time people realize that this is what the people chose, and if you don't like it then don't live here.

edit on 5-7-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Not to put a damper in your thread, OP. But - Forbes is full of # quite frankly. Seriously, I LIVE in Colorado, I have lived here all my life and I have partook in the Colorado MJ scene for a very long time now. First of all, in the past 5 years weed prices overall whether from a shop or a dealer have came down dramatically. I would go as far as to say the good stuff costs 50% of what it used to here in CO.

Also, no. You cannot get the same quality of stuff from a dealer for half the price. You just cannot. First - let's face it most dealers are simply people with their medical card who are buying it from shops and selling it for slightly more to make profit. Second - the dealers who have grow operations just do not produce the same quality you can get from a shop. All of the good and smart grow operations can simply direct to the shops, why would they need to sell to dealers for less money?

Really the only black market arguably created is the tiny gap between the medicinal marijuana prices and the recreational prices due to the additional taxes. I really do not think this is helping the weed trade though.

Let me tell you a first hand example - 9/10 I know who partakes in MJ, used to have to buy it from a dealer. Now 9/10 people buy it from a shop recreational or otherwise. Many people have their friends with Red Cards go to the clinic for them which technically may be illegal but this is between friends and really is not creating an illegal market. Sorry - I just do not buy what this article is selling whatsoever.

Also, (you have got to love being a Coloradoan) ANY Colorado adult can legally posses up to 3 marijuana plants. Why on Earth would anybody risk going to dealer if they could not afford to fork it over to the shops? Just grow it then. Duh.

ETA: I really hope this is not against the T&C if so Mods please snip this portion.

I will give you all some REAL numbers. Not Forbes magical '50% higher' number.

You can get 1/8th of MMJ from a clinic for anywhere from 20$ to 40$ depending on quality.
At a recreational shop - the price is more like 30$ - $50 an 1/8th dollars depending on quality.

It really indeed is not as regulated as some are making it out to be - not even the recreational. Also, I do not think they are even taxing concentrates, edibles, and the like yet - at least is some areas. The Springs (Colorado's second biggest city) was not taxing what so ever until this year and the MMJ thing was around here forever tax free.

Buying weed from a dealer in Colorado - pft, yeah right! Those in repressed states do not realize how easy it is here, why do it illegally. That is like buying alcohol from some guy in an alley behind the liquor store when you are 21+....I don't think so.
edit on 5-7-2014 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

Many people have their friends with Red Cards go to the clinic for them which technically may be illegal but this is between friends and really is not creating an illegal market.

This is exactly what I've been trying to point out. You worded it better. Kudos. (star, good post)

I didn't even mention the part about growing it legally. 3 plants per adult. I think the whole premise of this thread stinks because it's trying to say that the black market still has influence here, which is total mis-info and bunk BS.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

It's not Your State, It's Mine!

Born and raised there 38yrs, off to KS since I had only 1 Strike left. Still! It should not be used in a work place! Wake and Baked should not be before Work!

LOL

Would just hate to see something go Boom! Just Joking!

Peace

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: infoseeker26754

It's not Your State, It's Mine!

Born and raised there 38yrs, off to KS since I had only 1 Strike left. Still! It should not be used in a work place! Wake and Baked should not be before Work!

LOL

Would just hate to see something go Boom! Just Joking!

No no, this is MY state, rest assured! Heh, j/k.

Seriously though, nothing has changed as far as workplace requirements and drug tests etc. Just because it's legal here, doesn't mean employers are required to allow people to be high on the job. It's no different than companies not allowing people to be drunk on the job. It's STILL up to the employers to decide what is and isn't allowed at the workplace.

So I guess I just have to ask. What's the problem? How does legalization affect YOU directly?

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Haha not that I would know or anything.

Thanks.

Exactly - the 3 plants per adult thing is pretty much the icing on the cake for the black market here IMO. Imagine if people could grow alcohol in their backyard. Hell the taxes may rise over time on MJ as taxes do but really I could see the price of the MJ itself falling even more over time due to over abundance.

These articles will continue for a while. After another year or so and the numbers are solid nobody will question what Colorado did was overall a good thing IMO.

Also, you must hand it to the Colorado state gov. They are pretty much the only place in the world with such a regulated market and the legislators had to figure it all out in pretty much no time at all. California has had medical for decades. Colorado barely had it and then decided to go all out - even surpassing Amsterdam in legality/availability. I will always be proud of what CO did and how fast as well. Now other states can follow and build even better models upon learning how it is going in CO and WA. I however pray it is never federally legalized recreationally. I would support federally decriminalized all day - but that is all.

The Fed Gov has demonized this plant for so long they should NEVER see a cent of tax money come from it.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

Thanks, and I agree. I think the biggest hurdle now is determining how much THC should be legally allowed when driving. Like drinking and driving, I DO think that "smoking" and driving should be regulated. The problem so far, has been determining a way to discern how much THC is immediately present vs, how their current method does it, which has trace amounts being detected for up to over a month back. That part needs ironing out.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
It's not just about generating tons of revenue but I think it will.

There's a program for medicinal users who can't afford market prices or grow for themselves. They're assigned a caregiver who grows for them at no charge or at cost. I'm not sure how it works but I've heard it mentioned as an affordable alternative.

Imo people will pay to purchase it legally. For some the varieties/quality is worth the price similar to wine/cigars. Knowledgeable staff fine tuning the experience/medicinal need of their clients is another great incentive. Edibles attract people who would never buy such a thing on the black market. Purchasing it legally gives a sense of security.

If people don't want to pay for the convenience/expertise offered by the legal market, they can grow it themselves tax free.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: ABNARTY

It simply looks like some have decided to get taxed to death in lieu of the alternative. They are simply paying a state fee of 30% for the consideration. Some real free birds out there.

So, instead of the state spending money to prosecute offenders, they will make a heck of a lot more money that they ever did by fines and confiscating property?
Is Colorado a 'test state' to see how great the government profit margin will be?

It seems like the government is well qualified to sniff out easy money, and more than happy to relieve the 'common folk' of any and all funds they can.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

Looks like there is certainly going to be some convenience with being able to select a grade of product that meets the consumers needs but there has always been high quality product out there. As far as edibles they have been around for a long while as well.

As far a the medical use, this could have all been taken care of without a big state rollout. Its really a separate issue.

The convenience and lack of criminality associated with it will certainly make more consumers of the product.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

Haha not that I would know or anything.

Thanks.

Exactly - the 3 plants per adult thing is pretty much the icing on the cake for the black market here IMO. Imagine if people could grow alcohol in their backyard. Hell the taxes may rise over time on MJ as taxes do but really I could see the price of the MJ itself falling even more over time due to over abundance.

Alcohol is just a bit to complicated for most folks. Beside in most places folks have been making their own wine and beer at home for a good while.....a long time. Its really apples and oranges.

As far as growing at home putting the free market out of business that's probably not going to happen because there are high quality cultivars available produced by skilled growers. These products are still going to be available at much less the cost that produced by approved growers and better than what most can grow at home.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Nope, not really. MJ is MJ whether grown at home or in a lab. In fact, many people who used to buy from the "streets" didn't very much appreciate the additives and chemicals that were often added to make it more of an opening to other non-natural drugs. (laced MJ) Nothing needs to be added to the natural state of the plant to give the universally known effects of it.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
Not to put a damper in your thread, OP. But - Forbes is full of # quite frankly. Seriously, I LIVE in Colorado, I have lived here all my life and I have partook in the Colorado MJ scene for a very long time now. First of all, in the past 5 years weed prices overall whether from a shop or a dealer have came down dramatically. I would go as far as to say the good stuff costs 50% of what it used to here in CO.

Also, no. You cannot get the same quality of stuff from a dealer for half the price. You just cannot. First - let's face it most dealers are simply people with their medical card who are buying it from shops and selling it for slightly more to make profit. Second - the dealers who have grow operations just do not produce the same quality you can get from a shop. All of the good and smart grow operations can simply direct to the shops, why would they need to sell to dealers for less money?

What do you mean "in the past 5 years" shop prices have fallen? You mean from folks with medical cards becoming small time dealers? Because the public shops just opened.

As far as prices and production......the more the price goes up at the state stores the harder it will be to control the free market. HA ha, ok "black market". You say you cant get the same quality? If you had the taste and the means you could always get high quality.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Not everyone has been getting their smoke from the street. That's always been the cheep stuff.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Correct, but your argument is that home grown (legal and dirt cheap in Colorado) can't be as good as otherwise produced MJ. Sure it can, it just requires TLC.

The premise of your thread is flawed because you're trying to make a point that "black market" MJ is still marketable in Colorado. You are very wrong and mis-lead, and so is your sourced article.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   

a reply to: rockintitz

What about the Alcohol model after prohibition? What about the tobacco model? If the entire nation has access to it legally, they will pay for it legally. Most people don't want to break the law. If they outlawed tobacco and alcohol, people would buy it from the black market illegally as a result. If it can be bought legally, most people will buy it legally. You are assuming the worst in people, which just isn't the reality.

Folks never stopped making moonshine after prohibition was lifted. Whats more is that good moonshine is better that just about anything you can get at the state stores.

Growing MJ is another game altogether. The very good high quality strains of MJ for years were all grown out in the country and up in the hills. Then came the indoor growers producing very high quality product.

One area where alcohol and the cultivars are the same is that folks will always be able to produce good product and folks will always buy it.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Oh boy, talk about apples and oranges. What part of MJ is MJ do you not get? If you can grow a pot plant, you got all the goods you need. This is not comparable to moonshine, but you keep on thinking that!

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Correct, but your argument is that home grown (legal and dirt cheap in Colorado) can't be as good as otherwise produced MJ. Sure it can, it just requires TLC.

I never really said that. But yes home grown will probably spike up and maybe not. And if good homegrown is so cheep why pay state store prices anyway?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join