It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political satire: IS this how the world perceives the U.S.?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: captaintyinknots

Of course the US does good. Anyone saying differently doesn't know what's going on it the world. It pales compared to the invasiveness of it's military though.

Fair enough, and I dont disagree at all. My point still stands. If this is a representation of how people view america, it is ignorance and naive.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

Of course the US does good. Anyone saying differently doesn't know what's going on it the world. It pales compared to the invasiveness of it's military though.

Fair enough, and I dont disagree at all. My point still stands. If this is a representation of how people view america, it is ignorance and naive.

It is a satirical cartoon meant in jest, why do you feel this is how the world actually views the U.S.A.?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: Logarock

According to the like/dislike map, your nearest neighbour - Canada - is not impressed.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Well since we are all at it Americans never were impressed at all with Canada beyond some bacon and maple sap er syrup.

Within your response lies the basis of why some Americans are not looked upon favourably.
Its funny....you say this is the reason we are looked upon unfavorably, yet, we are the first ones people countries come to for help. We are the first ones to offer it.

Some of us wont lose sleep because those same people that beg for help in an emergency like to talk trash when things are calm. If that makes you look upon us unfavorably, so be it.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

It is a satirical cartoon meant in jest, why do you feel this is how the world actually views the U.S.A.?
Perhaps you didnt read the op. Or my first response. Or my second one.

Perhaps you ought to go back and try again.

You'll notice, i never once said I think this is how the world views the US.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

According to the like/dislike map, your nearest neighbour - Canada - is not impressed.

Well since we are all at it Americans never were impressed at all with Canada beyond some bacon and maple sap er syrup.

Within your response lies the basis of why some Americans are not looked upon favourably.
Its funny....you say this is the reason we are looked upon unfavorably, yet, we are the first ones people countries come to for help. We are the first ones to offer it.

Some of us wont lose sleep because those same people that beg for help in an emergency like to talk trash when things are calm. If that makes you look upon us unfavorably, so be it.

In military might, sure you reign supreme, but with controlling arrogance, I think there is a great deal of work to do there.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

In military might, sure you reign supreme, but with controlling arrogance, I think there is a great deal of work to do there.
Thats just it: YOU are the only one talking about america reigning supreme. THE ONLY ONE.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

....we are the first ones people countries come to for help.

I don't think the world sees it the same way. It looks more like intervention, not help. Sorry. That's the theme of this thread.

ETA: And who asked? Just wondering.
edit on 4-7-2014 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

In response to the image you posted, I think of all the images you could have picked to explain how people feel about the US, that is the worst possible example.

People who have read their history, and examined politics now, and then, realise that of all the things that happened in the early history of that nation, the BEST of them would be the drafting of the constitution, and much later, the presidency of Abraham Lincoln.

There are, of course, things that people around the world dislike, fairly, about the GOVERNMENT of the USA. However, all generalisations that one might apply to the nation itself are utterly spurious, as are all generalisations applied to any nation and its people. I do not know how other people feel about the USA, but my interactions with Americans on this website have proven to me, that the US is home to some of the nicest folk one could hope to converse with, not just the foam mouthed crazy cases that make the news globally, both politically, and criminally.

The way I see America as an idea, is that it is a great idea, which has taken a lot of tarnish since its brightest moments. I am one of those oddities, a person from outside the US, who believes that the constitution of the US is easily the most well constructed document of its kind, in the world. The fact is that successive governments have done their damnedest to erode the freedoms and rights protected by the constitution, and the effects that those idiotic actions have had on everything from the money in the pocket of US citizens, to the appalling state of foreign affairs policy in the US right now, are plain to see.

That takes nothing away from the fact that there are some damned fine human beings in the US, and in my opinion, that is the only thing that matters a damn about any nation.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

....we are the first ones people countries come to for help.

I don't think the world sees it the same way. It looks more like intervention, not help. Sorry. That's the theme of this thread.

So, aid to africa is intervention? Aid to the areas effected by tsunami is intervention? Sending help to fukishima is intervention?

As I have already said: people will do whatever they can to ignore the GOOD done by this country.

link   

Thats just it: YOU are the only one talking about america reigning supreme. THE ONLY ONE.

On this thread, yes, I am the only one so far. The U.S.A. military technical might, in my opinion, reigns supreme..but then I've been known to be wrong here and there.

link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
I think you are missing the satire of the piece, they are lampooning the far left of United States politics and saying that is how they see the country.

Indeed - it even says as much at the bottom of the cartoon!

Satire is something a lot of people simply don't get though

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Japan, Africa, egypt, israel, indonesia, south korea.....to name a few.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknotsSo, aid to africa is intervention? Aid to the areas effected by tsunami is intervention? Sending help to fukishima is intervention?

As I have already said: people will do whatever they can to ignore the GOOD done by this country.

People love the aid...the strings that come attached...not so much.
2nd.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Well we can certainly toss it out there with the best of them. I am not one that cares about a favorable look from anyone. Your average american like elsewhere is not really concerned with image projection in general.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Did Afghanistan? Iraq? Gotta call you on Korea there. That was 2 superpower pissing in someone else's pool. I'll leave Israel for another day. Too complex. I said "YES" the US does good. It also doesn't.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
I think you are missing the satire of the piece, they are lampooning the far left of United States politics and saying that is how they see the country.

Indeed - it even says as much at the bottom of the cartoon!

Satire is something a lot of people simply don't get though

Then again, there is a saying by William Shakespeare:

"In jest, there is truth".

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Well we can certainly toss it out there with the best of them. I am not one that cares about a favorable look from anyone. Your average american like elsewhere is not really concerned with image projection in general.

Do you speak for all Americans then?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Did Afghanistan? Iraq? Gotta call you on Korea there. That was 2 superpower pissing in someone else's pool. I'll leave Israel for another day. Too complex. I said "YES" the US does good. It also doesn't.
As ive already said, america does a lot wrong. That doesnt mean the good things dont happen. you say "YES" they do, then you turn around and only sit on examples of what is done wrong.

South korea asks for our help almost daily, now, my friend.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Do you speak for all Americans then?

Do you speak for the rest of the world then?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

You do understand that this is Right-Wing/Republican/Conservative satire of Liberals/Progressives right??

It says so at the bottom of the image.

This isn't the world's cartoon... it was done by American's.
edit on 4/7/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join