It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political satire: IS this how the world perceives the U.S.?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Sometimes...I wonder. This was the cover photo at Rense.com the last week. I think we need to keep a perspective. Whereas a lot of good is in our country...we are perceived differently by others.Think about it. God Bless America!!

*courtesy of rense.com/
ThePeoplesCube.com

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If you REALLY want to know here's an article from Macleans(Canadian) from a couple of months ago:

www.macleans.ca...

It's not a flattering piece.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

edit on 4-7-2014 by Cohort because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
If thats how the world sees us, well, they are idiots.

There is a lot wrong with america. To say that all the worlds problems wince its formation are america's fault is downright stupid.

Frankly, much of the world would be in shambles without the U.S.

Fact.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

People have always and will continue to always be ignorant haters.

Nothing new here.

Oh, and pretending you understand the viewpoint of everyone around the world is beyond ignorant. We might have to make up a different word for that incredible lack of logic and reasoning you seem to be so proud of.

+22 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
Frankly, much of the world would be in shambles without the U.S.

Fact.

Frankly much of the shambles the world is in right now is BECAUSE of America.

Another fact.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I think you are missing the satire of the piece, they are lampooning the far left of United States politics and saying that is how they see the country.

edit on 4-7-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

You're absolutely correct. But, again, to blame all of the world's problems on the U. S. is ignorant and stupid. Blaming all the world wars on the U.S. is ignorant and stupid.

Its funny (and Id like to point out, i am not a rah-rah america type), people like to blame so many problems on the united states. But no one likes to mention the millions of people that are not starving to death today because of the U.S.

Or the millions who have access to meds and clean water, again, because of the U.S.

Its easy to harp on the negatives and the problems. Viewing the whole picture, the good with the bad, and looking at solutions is the hard part.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
If you REALLY want to know here's an article from Macleans(Canadian) from a couple of months ago:

www.macleans.ca...

That's an interesting read, thanks very much!

link   
The only ones who think America is number 1 are probably Americans. Name one thing, other than the strongest military, that America is still number 1 at.

Other countries haven't had a great opinion of America for pretty much my whole life. I think Americans just didn't listen or want to listen or just didn't care. Chalked it up to jealousy or something.

Anyway...yeah. That's how other countries perceive us...and worse. Bet some even consider us terrorists.

link   

Such as?

When giving examples give unbiased credible links, not just your opinion. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I think your missing the satire of the piece, they are lampooning the far left of United States politics and saying that is how they see the country.

Exactly... it says it right at the bottom of the image.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
According to the like/dislike map, your nearest neighbour - Canada - is not impressed.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

www.macleans.ca...

Thats not exactly an objective piece of reporting.

More than 15 per cent of the population has no health insurance whatsoever. Yet efforts to fill that gaping hole via the Affordable Health Care Act—a.k.a. Obamacare—remain distinctly unpopular

Notice theres no mention of WHY people are opposed to it, ya know, like the fact that it is a poorly written, politically usurped law?

Nonsensical myths about the government’s “real” intentions have found so much traction that 30 per cent still believe that there will be official “death panels” to make decisions on end-of-life care.
30% huh? Thats a pretty arbitrary statistic to state without any citation....

Not saying the article doesnt make some good points, but its pretty obvious that it was written from a biased standpoint.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I don't see that color in the map legend. It appears they were not polled.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Euphem

The grey color is midrange on the legend...starts at point -10 (unfavourable) I believe and Russians and Mexicans like the U.S.A. better than Canadian...I wonder why that is?
edit on 4-7-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Euphem

They're grey in colour which is -10% to 10% view them favourably
edit on 4/7/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Or the millions who have access to meds and clean water, again, because of the U.S.

The U.S. is just one contributor amongst many others, both countries and organisations. Here is one example:-

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I object to that being the progressive revisionist version.

it's too simplistic, it's a strawman to make the right-wing feel good about it's sometimes rabid nationalism.

Progressives generally see the founding fathers as ignorant/hypocritical at worse, they generally recognize they were not perfect people, but ones with complex motivations, that morals at the time were quite different than those of the present. that the cause for independence was initially fueled by ideological/economic reasons, some of which have sound justification. And that this independence had a profound cultural impact.

I think it's highly important to note though, the US did a lot of highly immoral things over the course of it's first centennial. It committed mass genocide on the indigenous population, invaded countries on false or flimsy pretexts, tolerated barbaric institutions, and hypocritically ranted against every wave of immigrants with the "dey terk er jerbs"-routine.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

The U.S. is just one contributor amongst many others, both countries and organisations. Here is one example:-
en.wikipedia.org...
And? You're clearly missing my point.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join