It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Driver's Licenses to Illegals Overwhelms DMV

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Colorado passed a law last year that will allow illegal immigrants to get a drivers license as long as they can prove they actually live in Colorado.

The law takes effect August 1st, and Colorado has an appointment schedule set up on their website.

Well wouldn't ya know they had around 60,000 hits to the website in a one hour time span on July 1st !!

Ironic how an "undocumented" immigrant could show proof of residence.

The Mercury News reports that the DMV's "website for appointments had 60,000 hits in less than an hour on [July 1]."

The process is configured so that illegal immigrants make an appointment, then show up and get a license "if they can prove they live in Colorado."

The "cost of the license for noncitizens [is] $50.50." That represents the regular license price--$21--plus a $29.50 fee.

2nd opinion;
Democrat Law Giving Colorado Driver's Licenses to Illegals Overwhelms DMV

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The OP's ... "2nd opinion" LINK:

According to Vote Smart,

SB 251 passed the Colorado Senate on May 7, 2013, with 100 percent of Democrats voting "yea" and 100 percent of Republicans voting "nay."

In the state House, every Democrat but three voted for it. Every Republican voted against it.

-
OBSERVATION: What's the I.Q. of ... An "Average" Democrat ???

edit on 4-7-2014 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

The "cost of the license for noncitizens [is] $50.50." That represents the regular license price--$21--plus a $29.50 fee.

Sounds like they are getting taxed for it as well, paying more than twice the normal cost?
Isn't that a good thing? Everyone gets mad that they are not paying into the system, now when they are, still getting mad?
1.7 million in extra revenue from the 60k alone? Sounds good to me
edit on thFri, 04 Jul 2014 14:09:56 -0500America/Chicago720145680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

The government will need it to pay for the added "costs".

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I agree, so sounds like all the states should do this, let them get a license and charge them double or triple for it.
Seems they have no problem with it if 60k have already made an appt and even more will walk in.
Talking millions of revenue here, what is the problem?
And when they have a license they will drive more which means they have to pay for gas which is more taxes and more of their money going back into the economy.
And if they are willing to get a drivers license I see that as them being inclined to register and get insurance on their cars, you will disagree with me I am sure, but that is the way I see it.

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

The problem is that we have lost so many lives because of illegal drunken drivers, many with previous arrests and deportations. How many of these illegals know English and can read road signs?

If you are illegal, you shouldn't be given the same rights and privileges as a citizen. It is only rewarding bad behavior.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I think it's horse sh8t that I was born in this country had to provide my original birth certificate with raised seal, social security card and proof of address. Meanwhile this jacko just needs any old mailer with his name on it.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

That's BS. They should have to provide every single certified document we, as American Citizens, have to provide to just renew our existing DL.

Per the Real ID Act, I had to give legal *certified* documents chronicling every marriage, divorce, birth certificate, and proof I own my home with copy of property taxes paid to county I live in. Just to prove who I am.

Total Bullsnip they get away with not having to comply with the same laws I have to. Total BULLSNIP...

Des

edit on 4-7-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

The problem is that we have lost so many lives because of illegal drunken drivers, many with previous arrests and deportations. How many of these illegals know English and can read road signs?

If you are illegal, you shouldn't be given the same rights and privileges as a citizen. It is only rewarding bad behavior.

And we lose lives from American citizens that are drunk with a past record... what's your point outside of an appeal to emotion?
This is documenting them and forcing them to pay a tax, more the double what a citizen will pay.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
M'eh. Nothing new:

Nationwide, 11 states allow immigrants here illegally to obtain some form of driver’s licenses, and eight of those, plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, passed the measures over the past year, according to the National Immigration Law Center, a Los Angeles nonprofit that tracks such legislation. Two New England states, Vermont and Connecticut, are among those that passed the measures.

www.bostonglobe.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Surplus revenue from legalized marijuana should cover any additional costs without overburdening taxpayers.

I imagine the DMV will have to hire more workers/open previously closed offices. The DMV in our little town was closed a few years ago. It's a hassle driving 70 miles away, dedicating the whole day for something we used to do right here in town. It added considerable costs for rural people who typically earn lower wages.

Just because CO is choosing to do things a bit differently doesn't mean we're going about it blindly. You're welcome to join in/hate us or sit back watch/learn but leave us to it. We don't need other states coming in trying to save us from ourselves. We are Coloradans whether it's popular or not we decide what's right for Colorado.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

And we lose lives from American citizens that are drunk with a past record... what's your point outside of an appeal to emotion?
This is documenting them and forcing them to pay a tax, more the double what a citizen will pay.

So because we have citizens that do it and it's wrong, it's ok to add illegals and have even more? That makes no sense. I'm sure the families who have lost loved ones due to an illegal being here and our laws not being enforced don't care how much an illegal pays as it will not bring their family member back.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Isn't the DMV pretty much always overwhelmed?

Would you rather have them driving on our roads WITHOUT a license?

The problem is that we have lost so many lives because of illegal drunken drivers

How many? And how many lives have we lost because of legal citizen drunk drivers? I mean, to make the point, you'd have to compare the two, right?

How many of these illegals know English and can read road signs?

They'll have to pass a test. Last time I took it, it included road signs...

The licenses would be labeled to say they are not valid for federal identification and can't be used to vote, obtain public benefits or board a plane.
In Colorado, immigrants pass a driver's license test and prove they're paying state and federal taxes. They also must show an identification card from their country of origin.

Source

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Never said it was ok, just that it happens even without the illegals.
Get them documented and and get them paying taxes right? Well this is a start
edit on thFri, 04 Jul 2014 14:07:36 -0500America/Chicago720143680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Unless the licenses expire every month, and another $50 is required to renew the license, it doesn't offset anything when taking into consideration how much tax money is burnt without putting any in. I'm also curious as to how many of these new drivers will be insured and even paying for registrations.

On a side note, if immigration laws were enforced, it would be a great way to find those in the country illegally.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

The licenses would be labeled to say they are not valid for federal identification and can't be used to vote, obtain public benefits or board a plane.

Now add also that they are only valid in Colorado and not all states.........

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: mwood

It's up to the other states whether or not they recognize the licenses from Colorado. Many states are issuing them, so I would suppose many also recognize them.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

How many? And how many lives have we lost because of legal citizen drunk drivers? I mean, to make the point, you'd have to compare the two, right?

Legal citizens are here. Illegals are here but are not supposed to be. These are preventable deaths. Had our laws been enforced and the illegal drunken driver wasn't here, the citizen he killed would still be alive today. As for exact numbers, if it were one of your family members that were killed, it would be one too many.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Citizens go to prison, illegals get a free pass!

Seriously, do you even believe what you write on here?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

They do not get a free pass if they kill someone...
And yes I believe what I write.

edit on thFri, 04 Jul 2014 15:20:09 -0500America/Chicago720140980 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join