It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressional Hearing On The Search For Extraterrestrial Life [May 21, 2014]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
"As we discover more planets around the stars in our own galaxy; it is natural to wonder if we are finally on the brink of answering the question: Are we alone in the universe."

Hello ATS, thought I would drop this little congressional hearing for those who would be interested in.
I assumed this was some oddly timed hearing from today, but it turns out it is actually from May 21, 2014. Thanks for clearing that up.
Never the less it is a very interesting video if you haven't seen it yet.

Half way through and I am pretty impressed, surprised this somehow slipped passed me. Puts into perspective as to how unlikely it is that we are alone in the universe. Thought provoking material here, "TV shows and other broadcasts have already gone passed 10,000 stars. If we're broadcasting, maybe they are too."
edit on 4-7-2014 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ThinkingCap

Is this new or is it the Congressional hearing on search for extraterrestrial life that happened at the end of last year ?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Within the first 2 minutes, the video says it is from May 21, 2014.
I am going to go back and watch it to see if there is anything new.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Yeah it says it on the screen grab too ...Ooops

I have an aversion to long videos.

On Wednesday, the U.S. House of Representatives Science, Space and Technology Committee held a hearing on astrobiology and to discuss questions related to extraterrestrial life. The Committee heard testimony from Dr. Seth Shostak, the senior astronomer at the SETI Institute, and Dr. Dan Werthimer, the director of SETI research at the University of California Berkeley. The two men discussed the search for extraterrestrial intelligence and fielded questions from the assembled representatives that ranged from thoughtful to ignorant.
The big news out of the hearing—and the part that made headlines—was Shostak’s and Werthimer’s assertion that there is a 99.99% chance that life exists elsewhere in the universe. This might have been news to the media, but it has been a well-supported scientific view for decades.

Rep. Bill Posey (R-FL) asked the two their thoughts on Project Bluebook, which as a high U.S. government official Posey would presumably be in a better position to know about than two scientists from California. Shostak told Posey that he is skeptical about alien contact but noted that a large and steady percentage, about one third, of Americans have believed in alien visitation since the 1960s. Nevertheless, he pointed to the fact that nearly seven decades after the so-called Roswell incident there remains not a single shred of proof aliens came to earth.
www.jasoncolavito.com...

edit on 4-7-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Watching this now; the SETI head is very skeptical about current alien visitation, which I can understand, but who knows....

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Whew, made it through the whole hour. I was surprised at some of the questions asked. Mainly the fact that many of them had nothing to do with SETI or their projects, but should have been addressed more so to NASA. It was entertaining to hear their responses towards project blue book and ancient aliens. I would have to disagree with Shostak's example regarding the indigenous people in America all knowing that Spaniards had arrived. Personally, it was a good example, just I think that in the past that the situation would have been the same as today. Two thirds would not believe it is possible until they see it for themselves.

Also, did find Werthimer's little story about the difference between genders interesting. Let's hope if we do find similiar ex terrestrial life that the females are our first contactees!

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Oh sure Cyn, spread feminism to the ETs...
Would rather First Contact to be this:

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC
I had never seeN that commercial, but would totally agree! I am not sure if you noticed, but the gullible men grabbed only one beer before entering an alien ship. The women remaining in the end were celebrating with whole cases of beer. I must say...you proved my point.

edit on 7 4 2014 by CynConcepts because: Spelling

top topics

join