It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could it be true?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Jihad Unspun is considered, at least at ATS, to be an unreliable source of information but I have often wondered where they get their so called facts from. Admittedly some of the news articles they come up with seem to be pretty far fetched at the best of times, but I believe that I have tracked down their source.

There is an un-embedded and independent reporter operating out of Iraq by the name of Dahr Jamail. What suprised me was that he is actually an American citizen who was born in Houston, Texas and attended college at Texas A&M University where he majored in Speech Communications. After graduating, he moved to Washington State where he studied on a Masters in English Literature.

In his own words,

from linked article
One of the largest influences on me was a job I took in the climbing off-season which was working as a personal assistant for my dear friend Duane French, who experiences quadriplegia. I saw the efforts he went to just to exist, and how government policy directly affected his life. Here I was awakened politically. Our daily discussions of policy and political parties got my wheels turning, pulling me out of the classic American comfort-zone of apathy and ignorance.

Then of course watching the stealing of the presidency in 2000 by the Bush regime shocked me further into action, followed by the military response to 9/11, then of course the selling of the Iraq invasion. During the media sell job, I could take no more and knew that this was an information war. I had done some freelance writing for various magazines and continued this by writing in our alternative weekly rag in Anchorage.

We did a good job showing the alternative view after the events of 9/11, showing the US support of bin Laden, who the Reagan administration funded and trained them, etc. Shortly thereafter our editor was fired, so the entire staff left in protest within one month.

So I started saving my money and came to the front lines to start telling the truth from Iraq in November, 2003.

source - this article is a must read.

Apparently his greatest concerns are not being kidnapped/beheaded or blown up by car bombs but in fact the possible reprisals from government and millitary operators for reporting the information that President Bush want's kept under wraps. He claims "the Bush regime like to refer to anyone who does not support their ideology and plans for global domination as a “terrorist.”

As Dahr Jamail is not embedded he is not restricted by the "millitary media censorship" and currently writes for Inter Press Service, The NewStandard and many other outlets. His reports have also been published with The Nation, The Sunday Herald and Islam Online, to name just a few. Dahr's dispatches and hard news stories have been translated into Polish, German, Dutch, Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese and Arabic. On the radio, Dahr is a special correspondent for Flashpoints and reports for the BBC, Democracy Now!, and numerous other stations around the globe.

Now I'm not saying that the information he presents is true, but I didn't say it's false either. I think you should go and take a look at this mans site and make your own descisions. From what I can tell, he is on a one man mission to Deny Ignorance. CLICK HERE to visit his site. You'll find the site links at the top of the page.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Calling it "an alternative view of a situation", sounds alot like a politician saying "trust me". Do You? -I don't.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Yes, this guy definitely talks too moderately for having lived through the hell and his assessments are rather stereotypical.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Not only does his syntax suck, but he also omits key information such as pointing out that the Reagan administration had the CIA train bin Ladens bunch but fails to remind anyone that it was because the USSR had attaacked and was occupying Afghanistan.

top topics

join