It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind Control Scientists Claim Ability To Turn Off Consciousness

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I am not really impressed with drilling holes in a person's skull and inserting wires into a living person. Unfortunately with our present state of technology it appears it is the only way to do these types of experiments. The woman in the article had epilepsy, so deep brain electrodes to record signals from different brain regions were being used to map her seizures. One electrode was next to the claustrum which when stimulated the woman basically just shut down all consciousness. She regained consciousness with no memory of the event when the electrical stimuli was removed. . I tend to be interested in that sort of stuff due to knowing people who have suffered brain injuries and have never really been the same since.

Despite all this, some have stressed that the brain is not consciousness; therefore, there is always a built-in protection that the aware mind can erect to thwart outside attacks. Neuroscientists, however, are now claiming for the first time to have found absolute proof that consciousness is completely dependent on brain structure. In fact, it can be identified as a literal on/off switch that can be physically tripped by electrical stimulation, thus closing down all awareness in an instant.

www.activistpost.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
A half a fifth of the liquor of your choice will turn that switch off.
Why do we need to pay scientists to find some other way?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

In essence, it looks like they've found the Wizard of Oz that orchestrates everything from a tiny space within our brains.

For example, parts of the brain are telling us something is blue and another part telling us it's the sky and another part is telling us how it smells...

All of that barrage of sensory information and ceaseless chatter of our own thoughts is coordinated into something we call reality by the Wizard in the back room.

Neuroscientists, however, are now claiming for the first time to have found absolute proof that consciousness is completely dependent on brain structure.

Wasn't it always heading that direction with logic and clinical examples pointing the way for decades? Obvious truth is obvious. Nevertheless, there will still be a discussion about consciousness and, to be honest, I enjoy the speculations on non-local consciousness etc.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Bah, I don't buy it. Sorry OP nothing on you and I have nothing on your source - I actually think it is pretty interesting what they think they found. However, I just cannot allow myself to believe consciousness is that simple. I mean, from personal experience I KNOW it can not be simple as an "on/off" switch structure.

One thing I can say, if this truly is the seat of consciousness in the brain how on Earth was it only found now by mistake?

I'll see what others have to say

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

I have been saying for many years that this is a virtual reality system that uses the expression of point tensors to create the illusion. The brain is a complex data acquisition and control "computer" interfacing with non-local consciousness and we are simply riding in "avatars" that we think are meat puppets, with no free will. I expect when we have considerably more consensus on what we really are, this system will implode and start all over again.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I think that paragraph is flawed.

They are shutting down the . . . how to put it . . .

registration of awareness

and/or

the reporting out of the registration of awareness.

They still do not know what's

"in the 'black box' of conscious awareness."

For example . . . it MAY be, that they have found a switch that shuts down conscious awareness in a living person, period.

However, it MAY ALSO BE that they have merely shut down the capacity to report on consciousness. Will such cases--when sufficient numbers are around--begin to report EXTRA-CRANIAL awareness, observations etc. a la NDE experiences?

It just seems to early for them to be so smugly proud and pontifical about their findings when there are several other aspects that could muddy the picture they are looking at, quite considerably.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

Why are they so giddy at the "discovery"? Are they so naive as to believe this knowledge will not inevitably used for nefarious purposes?

Probably not. I think their enthusiasm stems from the subtext of the article: (perceived) validation of positivism/materialism (i.e., "God is dead", that whole thing). The language they use is a dead giveaway:

Neuroscientists, however, are now claiming for the first time to have found absolute proof that consciousness is completely dependent on brain structure.

Emphasis added. No room for the immaterial or transcendent.

This doesn't prove anything. Absence of memory does not equal absence of consciousness. Ask any blackout drunk.

...well, ask his friends instead--he probably doesn't remember what a jackass he can be sometimes. Belligerence is a crude form of low-consciousness.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I love how doctors trying to find the source of a woman's massive epileptic seizures, somehow became mind control scientists because they discovered this component of brain membrane?
edit on 7-4-14 by okamitengu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
They are shutting down the . . . how to put it . . .

registration of awareness

and/or

the reporting out of the registration of awareness.

Exactly what I was thinking. Seems like they just shut off the valve that allows consciousness to pour through

If you have a garden hose and turn off the faucet, you can't claim the water is coming from the hose itself; it just passes through coming from another source (if you'll allow the metaphor.)

edit on 4-7-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
If this was true then basicallly all thw beliefs i have are proven to be wrong and impossible, like life after death and absolutely everything along them lines. I think a hell of alot more research needs to be done in to what they are assuming before it can be taken as a proper scientific theory they cant take one single epileptic womans experience as proof thats absurd, and boy that would be scary if true & that tech got in too the wrong hands..

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
A rather small supply of 191 proof Everclear "turns my consciousness off" but the next day I am still here, dealing with the things I did while "consciously" shut down.

I would think disabling our conscious, even for a minuscule period of time, would cause one to cease to be ourselves. I don't think the conscience is something that can come or go (until death). You're not "conscious" while you are sleeping, but when you wake, there are (sometimes) memories of your dreams. There are only a few species known to be self aware, ie dolphins, primates, elephants, to name some.

Side thought; how do consciousness and self-awareness relate to each other? ...off to check this out.

S&F for giving me more to think about.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Well ya this makes sense, how do you think aliens do it? sometimes it doesn't work out and hypnotic regression recovers lost memories, but of course there's a blackout button, I've pressed it and had mine pressed. I think this is more along the lines of anti religious propaganda. previous posters sentiment seemed spot on, just because you can turn off the water, doesn't answer what the hell the water is.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Oh good... More alien abductions here we come.

The ultimate Manchurian candidate?
A cure for PTSD?
The perfect spy.

Science can get down right scary at times.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   

No half measures. You make it to the worm or else you are a sissy.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

No half measures. You make it to the worm or else you are a sissy.

You should be a doctor. That is the most sensible thing I've heard lately

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Interesting article.

I had to go do some educational reading on the claustrum (grey matter) to get a better understanding of what they were doing to the woman's brain.

There are lateral and medial tracts connecting the claustrum to many parts of the cortex and perhaps to the hippocampus, the amygdala, and the caudate nucleus (connections with subcortical centers are a matter of debate).

Francis Crick and Christof Koch have compared the claustrum to the conductor of an orchestra. The different parts of the cortex must play in harmony or else the result is a cacophony of sounds instead of a beautiful symphony. The claustrum may be involved in widespread coordination of the cerebral cortex, using synchronization to achieve a seamless timescale between both the two cortical hemispheres and between cortical regions within the same hemisphere, resulting in the seamless quality of conscious experience.

The Claustrum

Not certain what I believe they have achieved, but I do find this type of research fascinating so thanks for sharing.

leolady

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

I'm sure the military will get their hands into this. Anything to control or shutdown an uprising using mind control would be beneficial for them. This find will probably do more harm than good.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Makes sense. What's the brain for if it is not indeed to convey consciousness? Why would we need a brain?

I'm not quite sure what it is the scientists are concluding, but their experiment is completely without any shock value.

Take a knock on the head, you lose consciousness; everyone these days has, at some point, undergone general anaesthesia.

Am I missing something?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
So certain mind CONTROL scientists are turning off people's brains by electrocuting certain parts of the brain. I'm of the opinion that certain scientists should be banned from practicing "medicine" or "science".

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Nothing new here. Go back and see the television mini series "THE EVENT". Again SyFy distributing known tech for what purpose?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join