It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Grounds F-35 Fleet After Runway Fire

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth
Just came back from riat today, I was satisfied but no way was it like the air shows 10-15 years ago. Gutting not to see the f35 as I never got a chance to see the raptor either. However I would like to send the f35 at some point so fingers crossed

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

You may find out tomorrow if they're coming.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Excessive blade rub between the turbine blades and cowl appears to be the cause, but it does NOT appear to be endemic to the fleet. But they're still trying to figure out why it happened here.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
It's up to the SIB now of they get approval. It will take up to 48 hours to launch if they get it.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Cheers for the updates Zaph .. I can only think that the Royal Navy made a mistake moth balling the harriers before the f35 was even close to being finished. Would I be right or moth balling the harriers was a plan that had to be done when it did

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

You're right from an Ops stand point, unfortunately Ops doesn't determine the budget.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Think I'd rather lose a few warships than aircraft for a carrier when it comes down to budget cuts
edit on 14-7-2014 by ThePeaceMaker because: Changed text

edit on 14-7-2014 by ThePeaceMaker because: 1am in the morning typing

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

IIRC all your carriers were derated for aircraft before they retired them though, and went to all helicopters.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Don't the ruskies have a few STOVLs that are operational?

As far as I know the Marine Corps is still flying the harrier, if they are I can't imagine there are many left. They do have the reputation for being a flying coffin.
edit on 14-7-2014 by jrod because: always something

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

They had the Forger, but I think they're all gone now. The Marines will keep flying the Harrier until the early 20s at least.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I am amazed they are still operational, obviously STOVL is crucial to the Marine Corps capability. I have heard a few stories years ago from a Staff Sergeant who was in a Harrier squad early in his career. The fact they are expected to be operational for another decade, perhaps longer says a lot about their squadron's maintenance team.

I was under the impression the F-35 had some success with sea trials on the USS Wasp. I can imagine the top brass is more than a little frustrated by the constant setbacks the F-35 faces.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Every pilot that has flown it in sea trials has raved about how easy it is to operate off deck.

The Marines got a number of former UK Harriers when they were retired. That helped somewhat.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Good news, bad news UK fans.

The aircraft have been cleared to return to flight.

On an engine inspection, limited envelope basis. That does NOT include a long over water flight. Yet.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Good news, bad news UK fans.

The aircraft have been cleared to return to flight.

On an engine inspection, limited envelope basis. That does NOT include a long over water flight. Yet.

F-35 fleet cleared to fly after June engine fire prompted grounding
www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
By the looks of it the decision has been made and won't attend farnborough

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Right now nothing is official. In fact they seemed pretty optimistic earlier, with the return to flight.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Oh ok it's just a few things popped up on twitter. There this
mobile.twitter.com...
But then there is this
mobile.twitter.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

No, what the Pentagon guy said was that safety is the priority, and they couldn't say immediately about going.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Some more info on the engine failure and Farnborough:

defensetech.org...

edit on 15-7-2014 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Looks like they have officially canceled now. Just a few hours ago Admiral Kirby said they wouldn't make it, due to continued inspections.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join