It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Grounds F-35 Fleet After Runway Fire

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Matt1951

Where are you getting those numbers, because you aren't even in the ballpark with the F-16. The F-16C runs $22,514 an hour to operate. The F-35 isn't that far off of any of the current fleet, and is still cheaper than the Raptor.

Once again, of course they detected stealth aircraft. They weren't using their full up systems to hide. A stealth actively trying to hide won't be seen.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
I pulled it off a chart promoting the Gripen E. I accept your number as correct.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
You mean if they are jamming. Which is key to survival.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Matt1951

No, they don't have to jam. There are a number of classified systems that are only used in actual combat. All US aircraft have at least a few on board.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Even the F-22 could be spotted even with its stealth. That's why they will be flying with F-15s so they don't have to use their radar. The F-15s will be using full radar relaying targeting info to the raptor who will be in full stealth mode for an ambush.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

Well once they get the whole datalink thing worked out. Which is one of the huge advantages the F-35 has. They can datalink without it being detected.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Fascinating!

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Looks like the F-35 did make it to the UK.

F-35 II Lightning Jet Fighter Pilot Interview
The Lockheed Martin F-35 II at RAF Fairford, Fairford, Gloucestershire

www.liveleak.com...

EDITED TO ADD: and maybe not....
Noticed here, with what I thought was an F-35, until I read this caption:
Lockheed Martin Test Pilot Billie Flynn sat in the cockpit of the F-35 life sized model on the pan at RAF Fairford pre RIAT.
www.demotix.com...
edit on 9-7-2014 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: FosterVS

It looks like they will probably miss RIATT, but they're still hopeful about Farnborough.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
So apparently Pratt is having turbine manufacturing issues. Interestingly, the problem with the geared turbofan that grounded the CSeries was also apparently a third stage problem.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: FosterVS

I was at RIAT yesterday and it wasn't there, nor today. It was a good show none the less.

However it is scheduled for appearing at Farnborough airshow this week though might not appear there either.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

The three Marine aircraft, and flying spare are waiting the go/no go decision. Lockheed is doing everything they can to get them there.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make it though. The engine that failed did major damage to that aircraft. They could be looking at an almost total aft fuselage rebuild.
edit on 7/13/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Apparently the flight directive update is expected before the 16th.
edit on 13-7-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

They need to make it in a big way, to give the program a boost. I'm hoping they get there, even if it's late.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

They certainly do need a boost, as does their PR, there isn't much confidence in the F35 from certain opinions and the fact the product scheduled for purchase as our new 'top class stealth' was having too many issues to get here really didn't help.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

The good news is that they've learned their lesson from this mess of a program, and the new bomber and ISR platform are coming along pretty smoothly. Not that that helps the F-35 any.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
There will be a media briefing tomorrow at Farnborough that should have more details about the incident.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: FosterVS
Looks like the F-35 did make it to the UK.

F-35 II Lightning Jet Fighter Pilot Interview
The Lockheed Martin F-35 II at RAF Fairford, Fairford, Gloucestershire

www.liveleak.com...

EDITED TO ADD: and maybe not....
Noticed here, with what I thought was an F-35, until I read this caption:
Lockheed Martin Test Pilot Billie Flynn sat in the cockpit of the F-35 life sized model on the pan at RAF Fairford pre RIAT.
www.demotix.com...

impressive presentation by the test pilot....one thing I recognized...you can't have average IQ guys flying the F-35...no more seat-of-your-pants, you definitely have to have your uhmm...s**t together, so to speak

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
There will be a media briefing tomorrow at Farnborough that should have more details about the incident.

hey zap...you've probably answered this before...but...do pilots of the F-35 talk about "info over-load"?....or is the training designed to keep that to a minimum? and if so...do the top brass actually listen to the pilots if they bring up the old adage of "KISS"....Keep It Simple Stupid....

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

It's bad at first from what I hear, especially for transitioning pilots. It doesn't take long to get it under control though.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join