It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My incredible shrinking brain, MRI report back and it is not good!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Hi everyone, I have been having really bad headaches that nothing seems to relieves and also noticed numbness in my hands and slurred speech when I am tired so I went to my Dr. and told her all about it. I had been dragging my right leg too, since I have a back injury I figured some of this was due to that but not all of it, she agreed and ordered MRI's and when I got the results I was shocked to learn I have brain atrophy way beyond my age group. Unfortunately that does not mean I use my brain more just that mine is aging faster and apparently getting smaller. I have an appointment soon with a nuerosurgeon concerning all this, my back is worse too but the brain atrophy is what is scary. I have decided to wait and see what the dr. says but would like to know more about it so as to know what to ask. Is anyone here knowledgeable about brain atrophy or know some good websites on it or know anyone with brain atrophy? TIA

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Okay, please don't take this the wrong way, but do you by chance use any sort of recreational drugs?

I'm only asking because one of my friends had this happen to them, but they weren't sure if it was natural, or due to the ecstacy...

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   
No I don't use recreational drugs and very little alcohol and it is a reasonable question and I understand you asking. I did take redux and recall reading that some people who had also taken it were complaining of memory loss. Maybe that is a link to why but not sure if anyone ever followed up on it or did any research as to phen-fen or redux causing it.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Perhaps is genetic, probably they will want to test close member of your family to see if it genetic.

Sometimes rare health problems are often transmitted in the family, but hopefully if everybody in your family is ok and have the same problem you will be ok also, and for the head ache is a lot of neural inhibitors that will help with that.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing about your condition. I did some research and learned that everyone's brain shrinks as we age.

However I'm sure you're alarmed and so would I be. I recommend you obtain an evaluation by a neurologist.

The doctorslounge.net is an excellent website where real doctors answer your questions about health problems and they may be able to direct you as to sources of information to learn about your condition.

I also recommend the following:

The Neurology Forum:

www.medhelp.org...

Wrong Diagnosis Dot Com:

www.wrongdiagnosis.com...

myweb.lsbu.ac.uk...

OBESITY IN WOMEN CONNECTION:

A recent study has found that obesity in women can contribute to brain atrophy. Read article here:

www.azcentral.com...

A CHINESE HERBAL REMEDY:

www.damo-qigong.net...

herb.damo-qigong.net...

LINK TO SOY CONSUMPTION:

Soy consumption has been linked to brain atrophy:

www.rense.com...

Brain atrophy occurs early with Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease, Alzheimers Disease, Dementia,

ALCOHOL USE ASSOCIATION:

Even moderate alcohol use causes brain atrophy:

www.come-over.to...

ONE MEDICAL TREATMENT:

1 FN beta-1a treatment for brain atrophy:

www.scienceblog.com...

THE MAYO CLINIC:

www.mayoclinic.org...

CLINICAL TRIALS:

You may be interested in signing up for clinical trials for your condition:

www.clinicaltrials.gov...

www.centerwatch.com...