It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's official! I'm an Electrician!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
hard to get a job when you have a background. but alas, i got a job I hated, then a job i loved, now i'm on my way to a career. hooray!

just thought we could use another job thread. that is all.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: FinalAccount2008

Congrats breddah! Gainful employment is hard to come by these days. I have been searching for FOUR YEARS, looking for anything at all. No luck.

Life and times, breddah, life and times.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Yay! Congratulations!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
As a fellow electrician for many years, congrats!

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Congrats. My fiance(only chick journeyman around) is a journeyman electrician here too, just got hired on union.(I'm undecided on if that's a good thing or not). Good opportunities for electrical.
edit on 3-7-2014 by drivers1492 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Congrats. It's always good to be an electrician, isn't there always a lot of demand? Me, i wish i could be but electricity freaks me the hell out.

But they make the mucho dough i hear.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Congrats! Even though I am a female, I was always interested in being an electrician from the years I spent with my DIY grandfather who taught me. However you can't get a job with just some knowledge you licked up as a kid. Try as I might, I could never figure out how to get into the business. I got laughed at when I called different businesses which was very discouraging. Your thread inspires me to try again. Any one have any advice on how to get into the business as a woman and actually be taken seriously?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Congratulations . Well done .. good to see things picking up for you

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Congrats man. A career is always better than a job.

26 years as a union sheet metal worker and I have to say the sparkys have it made.

Good luck and stay safe and remember...always cut the blue wire, not the red wire...lol

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Congrats, for learning a new way, but there is a lot more too it. Good Luck!

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
Congrats! Even though I am a female, I was always interested in being an electrician from the years I spent with my DIY grandfather who taught me. However you can't get a job with just some knowledge you licked up as a kid. Try as I might, I could never figure out how to get into the business. I got laughed at when I called different businesses which was very discouraging. Your thread inspires me to try again. Any one have any advice on how to get into the business as a woman and actually be taken seriously?

My fiance went to 2 years of tech for industrial electricity and was hired 2 days after graduation. It did take a while for the guys to realize she know what the heck is up when it comes to the field. Her father was a master electrician and she worked with him as a kid so that helped alot.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

I did the same thing, I called every electrician in town and left messages, and one called me back. That's who I'm going to work for. If you want it (and you do), keep trying and make it happen. there are definitely female electricians out there killin it.

(and it's badass to see a female trade worker)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Most technical trade schools have job placement programs. But you will graduate with loans to repay. A Union training program will pay you while you go to school.

I took an unorthodox route, my electrical training came through the Air Force. I would not discourage anyone from that path.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinalAccount2008
If you want it (and you do), keep trying and make it happen.

Hell yah!!! So many people currently are more interested in complaining about how bad the world is or how bad life is vs actually going all in on making life successful good.

Congrats, may it be a long career!

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

I must admit, over the last year i've done alot of complaining about having a background and situations i've put myself in and thought my life would never change, but it has, and I don't feel like complaining anymore.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: FinalAccount2008 I'll keep trying as there is no trade school locally, and unfortunately I am much too old, and have too many physical problems for the military.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Pah Pow! Good for you!

It is true that if you do what you love, the money will come.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Good luck and keep your head up! There are always shops that are bound to be looking for help. Having an apprentice card will help your chances. It's generally just a matter submitting paper work to the governing body. Unfortunately, that varies by state and municipality.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

just express your interest, and stay on them like a dog until they give you a job. that's how i've gotten every good job i've had, including my current job and my electrician job that's about to start.

new topics

top topics

join