It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do gay people as a group choose to be linked to the colour pink?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Why do gay people choose to associate themselves with the colour pink as a group: whenever gay people are linked with anything at all it is called pink something, for example the pink pound,.. I found a few online such as pink list, pink rights..?
I am just saying just because some [snip] decided to give you all pink triangles does not means you have to be linked to it for all [snip] time. Just for christ sake choose another colour or something.

edit on 3-7-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: MOD Note: Please Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Ever seen the rainbow flags, or the purple triangles? Gay people use those as well. Pink isn't some kind of universal "gay thing".

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Really in the UK on the news when they mention gay people it is always the pink~~~~~. But OK purple is ok. But doesnt rainbow flag stuff supposed to be about rainbow nation # of africa: which is #e because all the countries are almost completely one race.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: werewolf99

Has to do with the pink triangle of concentration camps.

It's a take and spin on something that stood for persecution and death.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 3-7-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Yes I know but why brand yourself for all time because of one, one nutted arsehole: technically adolf was an intersexual person and so millions of people were exterminated by a transexual or intersexual person.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Google "Gay pride parade" and look at all the rainbow flags...

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

But rainbow flags were to do with Africa: everyone can't be rainbow flags. Think of something new to use.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

It started as a protest symbol.

It's not about being associated with something negative but rather protesting something negative and turning it into something positive(change and fight for equality).

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: werewolf99
Why do gay people choose to associate themselves with the colour pink as a group (?)

It comes from the Nazi concentration camp 'insignia' for homosexuals and other 'degenerates'. Never mind the inordinate number of apparent homosexuals amongst the Nazi elite. It has been reclaimed by the Gay community, much the same as the word Queer...or the 'N-word" by Blacks.

As to your problem with it...can't help you there.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
They can't own the rainbow. I like rainbows. I'm taking it back.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

But still using it is being branded by someone hateful. Would it not be more empowering to use something new. Something new like a yellow banana on a flag.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Why do gay people choose to associate themselves with the colour pink as a group: whenever gay people are linked with anything at all it is called pink something, for example the pink pound,.. I found a few online such as pink list, pink rights..?
I am just saying just because somefu#ker decided to give you all pink triangles does not means you have to be linked to it for all F#CKING time. Just for christ sake choose another colour or something.

Nazi Germany, concentration camps identified groups with different symbols. Jews wore the Star of David, gays were assigned the Pink Triangle. Look here for a list of symbols used by the Nazi's for prisoner identification.

en.wikipedia.org...

As for why we use the symbol now? We took something that was used in a negative way and turned it into our own point of identifying our acceptance and 'pride' .

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
But that's like a singer having the picture of the album that got the singers record thrown off number one on a t shirt, and wearing it everywhere. It really isnt empowering at all. Empowering would be to get a record and get another number one.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

But rainbow flags were to do with Africa: everyone can't be rainbow flags. Think of something new to use.

Rainbow flags originated in Bolivia, nothing to do with Africa. The LGBT started using the Rainbow Flag in the seventies to represent the diversity of the LGBT. The Bolivians were not to happy about this. Don't forget every nationality on the planet has gay people and as such the flag represents this.

en.m.wikipedia.org...(LGBT_movement)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

Accountancy has people of every race on the planet, they don't use it as an emblem.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

But still using it is being branded by someone hateful. Would it not be more empowering to use something new. Something new like a yellow banana on a flag.

They come up with something new every few years. I think it comes from different conferences or campaigns, and some catch on more than others. The pink triangle was already explained. The color lavendar is supposed to be a mix of blue and pink, so blurring gender lines. The rainbow is supposed to be about inclusivity (for everyone who toes the party line at least). There is also a lambda symbol you see sometimes that some activist co-opted because they heard it stood for energy and they wanted to energize people. There are some other symbols that combine the typical male and female symbols in some way. They evolve like that.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I don't think it's just a gay thing, I've seen lots of women that like the color pink.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Accountancy is a profession not a victimised community where in some countries you can be put to death for loving someone. So not a good example on your part IMO.

As already mentioned the Pink comes from Hitlers gay holocaust. The Rainbow flag comes from Bolivia and I do believe that most folk who have responded to you have answered your question.

Perhaps you could tell us all why you are so sensitive about this?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Why does it bother you so much what they use? The folks here have explained it pretty clearly, yet you seem to have an issue with the whole "why?" Of it. Does it put you out that they use pink or fly rainbow flags? Were you planning something huge using a rainbow flag yourself or the color pink, and now feel as though you can't share it?

I mean seriously... It seems to have ruffled your feathers a bit more than it probably should.

Nobody owns pink or rainbows. You can use it just as much as they do if you so desire.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I am just saying just because somefu#ker decided to give you all pink triangles does not means you have to be linked to it for all F#CKING time. Just for christ sake choose another colour or something.

Why does that bother so much though??? I mean pink is also used for other Women's Groups too. Like pink ribbons for Breast Cancer. What's interesting to me is that you seem to be upset over a color a bit more than is normal, for lack of a better word. It reminds me of when you see a couple who's just sick of each other and they complain about how the other one "Eats food like a jerk", or "Can't stand the way they breath all the time like that".

You obviously have some other issue regarding Gay's that I don't think has anything to do with the color pink. I don't know what it is either, but you may want to figure it out so you can rid yourself of all that stress.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join