It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Arthur poised to be a category two making landfall.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
Yesterday evening, last night, and all day today were the worst. It's been hot and humid for about a month now, but the past couple of days are some of the hottest I've ever felt. My shirt stayed soaking wet all day from sweat. I'm ready for some rain and wind (nothing too bad), still pretty calm right now though, no rain yet.

We might not be sharing the same thunderstorms coming in off of this... But it sure sounds like we have been sharing the weather lately.

My mom and I have been driving to NC every other day to see my dad in the rehab hospital down there and the trip down and back Wednesday was horrid to say the least. Even the air conditioner in the car felt warm. My heat pump can't even keep up. It sits on 70 and the last few days we have reached 76 INSIDE with the heat pump running as hard as it could.

Hotter than blazes would probably be an understatement. Add in the humidity and it's enough to make you physically I'll if you are out in it for any amount of time.

I thought it was just me, our heat pump doesn't quite seems to keep up either. My sweetheart has a broken thermostat she is always hot and keeps the setting at 68, the lowest we could get it yesterday was 74. It's 12:30 no rain yet but I always stay up to keep an eye out on the trees. We have a bunch. They are beautiful, for an ex california boy this place is gorgeous.

Stay safe out there.

I had no idea you were in the neighborhood! It is nice to know neither of us are alone with the heat pump not keeping up. My husband has become OCD about wondering whether it is running right, if it has enough gas, etc. Everyday he has to ask me "How hot did it get in here?". So I can now let him know that we aren't the only ones.

We do have very beautiful trees and mountains. There's not a lot more to offer than that around here (at least in my case). I truly don't think I would live anywhere else though.

I put on roughly a 1000 to 1500 miles a week in Los Angeles, where the only thing to see was concrete, housing, and commercial buildings. This place is a blessing, and when you go somewhere and they ask how you are, they really mean it. They want to know. I love this place.

My mom and brother keep asking when I am coming back for a visit, I tell them I will pay for there plane ticket when they are ready to come see me. Just say when you can make it, and it will cost nothing. I don't want to go back, the thought seriously makes me ill. I have business people, family, friends, etc. I probably will never see again.

The only problem I have with Virginia is, she didn't call me when I was younger. I had to wait for the right woman to get me out here.

Ahhh... The south has left it's impression firmly in place I see. We may have many short falls, but hospitality generally is not one of them. I don't notice the trees or mountains often but I sure can notice when they are gone. Traveling to places like Myrtle Beach draws your attention to the VERY noticeable lack of anything but flat ground. It's my understanding that folks come from all over the US to see the Blue Ridge Mountains and I sometimes forget that I can drive out to the main road and see them all day every day.

The pace here is more relaxed and I could never imagine going anywhere else. I was born not even 15 minutes away from where I live now. This area is all I've known for 37 years. The thought of the crowded places in places like you left, leave me feeling kind of sick. I'm not fond of crowds and people rushing to and fro constantly. People here don't generally invade your personal space since there is enough room for everybody regardless of where you go. I look out my front door and see nothing but fields, donkeys, horses, wild turkeys, deer, and cows. Not 20 story buildings, cell towers, crowds, McD's etc.

While that does leave the area with little to offer as far as shopping, theme parks, restaurants, and more... I still wouldn't trade it.

I am glad you met your someone and get to enjoy all of this with them.

edit on 7/4/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
It is looking nasty. Hopefully mariners headed the warnings. The sound is not a good place to be right now.

Most storms are a lot of hype and little bite This one had little hype and is unleashing some fury near the OBX. While I do not watch tv, I do not think there was much hype to this storm.

Tomorrow will be a day of clean-up.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Kratos40

I have no idea where to look for archived data. Current data, heck yeah, but older stuff I'm not sure. Some of the links in the 2014 Atlantic Hurricane thread might yield something useful if they're linked to archives for last year's season.
If you happen to have a Wunderground account (I don't) then you could just ask in Jeff Masters' current blog's comment section, you're very likely to have someone dig up that info in a snap.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
a reply to: Kratos40

I have no idea where to look for archived data. Current data, heck yeah, but older stuff I'm not sure. Some of the links in the 2014 Atlantic Hurricane thread might yield something useful if they're linked to archives for last year's season.
If you happen to have a Wunderground account (I don't) then you could just ask in Jeff Masters' current blog's comment section, you're very likely to have someone dig up that info in a snap.

I will check the NOAA website for some data. Just the way it 'bubbled" up out of nowhere and just spawned and spiraled. I wish I could have saved the sequence of satellite images. People living in or near Miami should have felt this flux in the air.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
Yesterday evening, last night, and all day today were the worst. It's been hot and humid for about a month now, but the past couple of days are some of the hottest I've ever felt. My shirt stayed soaking wet all day from sweat. I'm ready for some rain and wind (nothing too bad), still pretty calm right now though, no rain yet.

We might not be sharing the same thunderstorms coming in off of this... But it sure sounds like we have been sharing the weather lately.

My mom and I have been driving to NC every other day to see my dad in the rehab hospital down there and the trip down and back Wednesday was horrid to say the least. Even the air conditioner in the car felt warm. My heat pump can't even keep up. It sits on 70 and the last few days we have reached 76 INSIDE with the heat pump running as hard as it could.

Hotter than blazes would probably be an understatement. Add in the humidity and it's enough to make you physically I'll if you are out in it for any amount of time.

I thought it was just me, our heat pump doesn't quite seems to keep up either. My sweetheart has a broken thermostat she is always hot and keeps the setting at 68, the lowest we could get it yesterday was 74. It's 12:30 no rain yet but I always stay up to keep an eye out on the trees. We have a bunch. They are beautiful, for an ex california boy this place is gorgeous.

Stay safe out there.

I had no idea you were in the neighborhood! It is nice to know neither of us are alone with the heat pump not keeping up. My husband has become OCD about wondering whether it is running right, if it has enough gas, etc. Everyday he has to ask me "How hot did it get in here?". So I can now let him know that we aren't the only ones.

We do have very beautiful trees and mountains. There's not a lot more to offer than that around here (at least in my case). I truly don't think I would live anywhere else though.

I put on roughly a 1000 to 1500 miles a week in Los Angeles, where the only thing to see was concrete, housing, and commercial buildings. This place is a blessing, and when you go somewhere and they ask how you are, they really mean it. They want to know. I love this place.

My mom and brother keep asking when I am coming back for a visit, I tell them I will pay for there plane ticket when they are ready to come see me. Just say when you can make it, and it will cost nothing. I don't want to go back, the thought seriously makes me ill. I have business people, family, friends, etc. I probably will never see again.

The only problem I have with Virginia is, she didn't call me when I was younger. I had to wait for the right woman to get me out here.

Ahhh... The south has left it's impression firmly in place I see. We may have many short falls, but hospitality generally is not one of them. I don't notice the trees or mountains often but I sure can notice when they are gone. Traveling to places like Myrtle Beach draws your attention to the VERY noticeable lack of anything but flat ground. It's my understanding that folks come from all over the US to see the Blue Ridge Mountains and I sometimes forget that I can drive out to the main road and see them all day every day.

The pace here is more relaxed and I could never imagine going anywhere else. I was born not even 15 minutes away from where I live now. This area is all I've known for 37 years. The thought of the crowded places in places like you left, leave me feeling kind of sick. I'm not fond of crowds and people rushing to and fro constantly. People here don't generally invade your personal space since there is enough room for everybody regardless of where you go. I look out my front door and see nothing but fields, donkeys, horses, wild turkeys, deer, and cows. Not 20 story buildings, cell towers, crowds, McD's etc.

While that does leave the area with little to offer as far as shopping, theme parks, restaurants, and more... I still wouldn't trade it.

I am glad you met your someone and get to enjoy all of this with them.

It is said the best things in life aren't things. I see you have a firm grasp on what's important. I am learning. It has already been an education. The only things I miss are a couple of ethnic foods. Friends and family of course but besides those nothing else.

The only thing I haven't really come to grips with, has been my sense of urgency, in CA its always a rush to get things done. It seems everyones get up and go got up and went, not the actual work part but the getting started part. It makes me nuts, I am the only one in a hurry. This I struggle with.

My grandfather told me as a child, if someone calls you a jackass pay no attention, if 5 people call you a jackass you better buy a saddle. I am trying to shed myself of the urgent saddle weekly. You have a great state and I am very happy to be here.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Goodbye Arthur. Hasta La Vista ...

As you move on your journey Arthur... we will reflect upon your message

It is going to be a beautiful week ahead for those of you who rode out the storm

leolady

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: leolady

Goodbye Arthur. Hasta La Vista ...

As you move on your journey Arthur... we will reflect upon your message

It is going to be a beautiful week ahead for those of you who rode out the storm

leolady

Still pretty breezy here but starting to look very nice. Sun is out we survived no problem.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I survived. The eye of the storm passed directly over us around 4AM. It didn't seem too strong though, minor damge, no damage to my trailer, but my camper didn't survive. Very little tidal flooding.

I give this hurricane a 4/5, would sleep through it again.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Eastern MA (Boston here) tons of rain resulting in flooding/flash flooding... Not much wind but the Cape and the Islands did get quite a bit of wind. Arthur hit us as a cat 1. Crazy to get a storm like this in the beginning of July.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
The steering mechanisms of a hurricane can be way off in the long run. Other weather systems that surround the storm have a hugh influence on where a storm will go. High pressure systems turn in a clockwise direction. Low pressure turns counterclockwise. Depending on where it is located and the strength of these other systems will determine where a storm goes. Hurricanes do seem to just pop up. The Caribbean sea is very warm now. The storms that form off the coast of Africa give us a much longer time to watch and track because they have to travel across the Atlantic to get to us but it's much more common this early on for storms to form closer to the states in the gulf of Mexico or the Caribbean sea. S reply to: magnum1188

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join