It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Arthur poised to be a category two making landfall.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Can this be moved to the breaking news section, I was not able to post this there, but I feel its relevant breaking news for the users in the northeast USA.

I am surprised this has not been posted about earlier. This hurricane has kind of sprouted up from nowhere. Now I have not been around that long, but in my memory I don't remember seeing a hurricane sprout to that strength in this area, this early in hurricane season.

I keep seeing that it is moving further and further to the west, which would bring it right on top of me.

If there are any folks on here who are meteorological inclined, let me know this thing is going to blow off eastward.

CNN

Wundermap
edit on 07pm57000000071188 by magnum1188 because: Missing info

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Breaking on CNN that 7,200 have lost power so far in North Carolina.

Link with pics

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Aye, obviously we haven't had much coverage of it over here, I've seen one short item on the news about it. But it does seem to have "popped up" relatively fast...

Still there's nothing you can really do apart from minimise the risks as much as realistically possible, and hope it passes without too much SHTF.

Stay safe people!

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: RichAwake

Will. I was curious if anyone has the knowledge to explain how they determine the tracks they place these things on. Most of the time they seem incorrect, especially recently with things such as Sandy.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I basically live on the OBX of NC, and Hurricane Arthur is headed straight for us.

I was born and raised here, and I've seen my fair share of tropical storms and hurricanes, and normally I don't give much thought to anything that's below a category 3, but hurricane Irene a few years ago changed that; The path Irene took brought it practically right over where I live, and it was a very slow moving storm. Didn't bring much rain and the wind wasn't that strong, it was either a weak 2 or a strong 1 when it hit us, but it traveled through the sound, and carried the water with it.

Nobody in this area has ever before, nor since, seen the flooding that Irene brought upon us. Houses that have never been close to water before got flooded, peoples' cars, lawn-mowers, etc got ruined. Some people have barely had their house repairs finished for a year after Irene.

My house almost got flooded with Irene. Well, actually I live in a trailer. It was just under my sub-floor. It washed out all the insulation from underneath the trailer, and actually did get a small portion of the flooring wet which gradually softened in my bedroom to make a nice big hole around the vent. Last year I started a major repair project. I have torn the trailer off it's frame and rebuilt my entire house, with some minor changes in floor plan. This project is still ongoing as I ran out of money before I finished, and I'm trying to get caught back up on loans and everything right now before I continue, but nevermind that, one of the things I didn't have the time or money to complete yet was anchoring the trailer back down in the ground. The trailer is much, much heavier than it was previously, but it's still just sitting on that little 12ft wide frame underneath with no tension holding it down to the ground. This could be a problem if it comes along with 100MPH winds, and could trash the entire project leaving me with nothing but debt on my hands.

I only have myself to blame for not making that a priority, but I also have never expected a full-blown hurricane this early in the season. When I first heard of it they were saying tropical storm and I thought nothing of it. Usually storms weaken right before they hit anyway, but this one continues getting gradually stronger.

Then there's the flooding; if it gets in my house this time I'm screwed, period. I will have more repairs to do, and a lot of back-tracking. It is taking the same track as Irene by the looks of it, but it is also travelling faster, and I'm hoping that it won't linger around long enough to bring the massive tidal flooding that Irene accomplished.

Sorry for the long-winded (err... worded, rather) rambling over my worries, but I just had to get it off my chest here. To anyone else who has been or may be affected by the storm, be safe, I wish the best for you and your family, and if a dolphin hits your home, DO NOT GO OUT TO SEE IF THE DOLPHIN IS OK; that's how a hurricane tricks you into coming outside!

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

I am sorry that you had to go through that. I have been to Rodanthe once for a week and I could not imagine being anywhere on the OBX when a storm would come running through there.

Do you live on the OBX or on mainland NC?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Lol, sprouted up from nowhere? It'd been slowly brewing up off the east coast of FL practically stationary for days before it finally started going NE. The problem isn't that it suddenly popped up out of nowhere, the problem is no news outlets took it seriously, so no one did much reporting to alert the masses. The old false sense of security at it's finest, it's been a while since a 'cane hit this early in the season.

FWIW, I've been following Dr Masters' weather blog on Wunderground about it since it first rolled off the SC coast as a low back around June 27/28. The comment section of his entries are always full of good links from people, though the posters can be quite arrogant at times.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: magnum1188

I am sorry that you had to go through that. I have been to Rodanthe once for a week and I could not imagine being anywhere on the OBX when a storm would come running through there.

Do you live on the OBX or on mainland NC?

I live on the mainland side of things, but still soundfront!

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: magnum1188

The Cone Of Uncertainty

The cone represents the probable track of the center of a tropical cyclone, and is formed by enclosing the area swept out by a set of circles (not shown) along the forecast track (at 12, 24, 36 hours, etc). The size of each circle is set so that two-thirds of historical official forecast errors over a 5-year sample fall within the circle.

National Hurricane Center

Arthur didn't just "sprout" out of no where...lol. They have been watching it for days now as a Tropical Storm as it dilly dallied along ever so slowly. It was upgraded to a Category 1 yesterday as they watched and waited to see which way it would head on the projected Cone mapping. The longer a storm creeps on the ocean, the stronger it will become. Now that it is a Category 2, it looks as if its going to hit the OBX with a powerful punch.
Ick !

leolady

edit on 3-7-2014 by leolady because: fixes

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

With any luck, that front will keep nudging it further out away from land & the impact won't be quite so bad. The oscillating wobble it keeps doing has got to be frustrating for everyone up there, it's literally that little sliver of distance difference that is going to be a breath of relief, or a good battering.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
If this storm is named Arthur, doesn't that make it a Himacane?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DonVoigt
If this storm is named Arthur, doesn't that make it a Himacane?

Nah, for some reason they started naming tropical storms. I think The Weather Channel is behind that: for extra hype purposes.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

With any luck, that front will keep nudging it further out away from land & the impact won't be quite so bad. The oscillating wobble it keeps doing has got to be frustrating for everyone up there, it's literally that little sliver of distance difference that is going to be a breath of relief, or a good battering.

We can only hope.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: magnum1188

I am ready, got the generator fired up, food is stocked, cars are out from under trees, and it was starting to get very dark at about 6pm here in Williamsburg, Va. I think it is just going to blow like hell and rain buckets for a while for us.
Usually the power goes out for a while but no worries like I say I am ready.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I'm glad I don't live in an area prone to earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Volcanic activity, Flooding, rattlesnakes, sinkholes, black widow spiders, so on so forth. We just get lots of snow and cold half the year. We do have plenty of mosquitoes and bears and now cougars and wolves. I shouldn't forget the skunks. Even though this place isn't as economically good as other places, I think it is a good place to live.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I live in Va. and have been watching this thing move up the coast for days, so I am not sure it "just popped up". We have been getting the outer bands of this on and off about all day. The wind has picked up, the lights are flickering, and we are ready for it.

I wish my neighbors to the south of me good luck as it will be hitting you all much harder than it is us at the moment. Stay safe and do what you gotta do. I'll have my fingers crossed for a safe outcome for life, limb, and your homes.
edit on 7/3/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
I live in Va. and have been watching this thing move up the coast for days, so I am not sure it "just popped up". We have been getting the outer bands of this on and off about all day. The wind has picked up, the lights are flickering, and we are ready for it.

I wish my neighbors to the south of me good luck as it will be hitting you all much harder than it is us at the moment. Stay safe and do what you gotta do. I'll have my fingers crossed for a safe outcome for life, limb, and your homes.

Your lights are flickering up there? Jeez, the wind is hardly blowing here yet (at least for an incoming hurricane kind of wind). It's been cloudy for a long time though, no rain yet, not the slightest flicker with lights though and we're usually the first out and the last back on where I live.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Here's the local weather for eastern NC, 9:00 update
www.witn.com...
Sitting on the sound side in Carteret County. Not so much rain right now, but lights are flickering.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa

Your lights are flickering up there? Jeez, the wind is hardly blowing here yet (at least for an incoming hurricane kind of wind). It's been cloudy for a long time though, no rain yet, not the slightest flicker with lights though and we're usually the first out and the last back on where I live.

We've had a few pretty strong thunderstorms spawned off of it that have the lights flickering. Not just wind. It's picked up, but the storms that are coming with it are what will put us in the dark.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa

We've had a few pretty strong thunderstorms spawned off of it that have the lights flickering. Not just wind. It's picked up, but the storms that are coming with it are what will put us in the dark.

It must have thrown that thunderstorm right past us then, I haven't heard any thunder and like I said it hasn't started raining yet. Watching the radar, it's coming. Soon.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join