It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

150 Mummies of Ancient Unknown Civilisation Discovered in Atacama Desert

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

This isn't the same sort of loading that you would have in someone's arm that used a heavy hammer all day.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: Hanslune

This isn't the same sort of loading that you would have in someone's arm that used a heavy hammer all day.

It is my understanding that the bone reacts to the pressure caused by the binding. Bones react to loading or stress to it that is continuous or repetitive. Which would be what the binding and boards do.

Do you have another idea on how it might happen?

Ah its late here, tomorrow then, bye
edit on 4/7/14 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I also would want to ask "now why would a culture think or want to manipulate the skull into that shape"? Could it be that they were visited by a strange alien people.?a reply to: DonVoigt

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
That pic of the fella looks nuts! I've never seen a pic of what a living person looks like with shape

But a couple of q's as not really clued up on the subject

What happens to the brain after the manipulation?

Would it Change shape as we'll? Making the person disabled in anyway

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

ha maybe they cover there heads from " Aliens " like we wear tinfoil on our heads ahha!

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Old ATS Thread

All roads lead to Sumer.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DonVoigt
a reply to: FreshKale

Even a physical picture from the early 1900s that your talking about would satisfy my curiosity about it. All I'm saying is, is there any physical proof that it is possible to do this to a normal human skull. written word from ancient Greece is about as valid as saying it's in the Bible or the Koran, or any other text, even a drawing wouldn't satisfy my curiosity about it, a valid and verified picture would.

History is filled with examples of humans deforming their bodies in the name of beauty or culture. The Japanese custom of binding women's feet,(no longer practiced ) the stretching of lips or necks. A custom of inserting rocks under the skin heck even today's tattoo craze. Why is this particular sort of custom so hard for you to accept when the custom of ahem customization has been in our culture for ever.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: FreshKale
a reply to: DonVoigt

My understanding (and I should add the caveat that I am not an anthropologist by profession nor hobby) is that the practice died out as late as the early twentieth century in Tolouse. There are also contemporary reports of it being practiced from various other periods in history all the way back to the Greeks - as early as Hippocrates recording it circa 400 BCE or so.

It's certainly not a novelty of modern scientific handwaving of evidence, as your attitude seemed to have implied, though I seriously doubt you'd find a living exemplar, as I'm sure you'd agree that putting your child through the process would be abusive behaviour, by any reasonable definition.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Even a physical picture from the early 1900s that your talking about would satisfy my curiosity about it. All I'm saying is, is there any physical proof that it is possible to do this to a normal human skull. written word from ancient Greece is about as valid as saying it's in the Bible or the Koran, or any other text, even a drawing wouldn't satisfy my curiosity about it, a valid and verified picture would.
but the elongated skulls being from an alien species is way more likely than them being the product of an ancient head binding ritual?.....show me one real verified picture of an alien with an elongated skull smiling in front of a camera and then maybe.....but just maybe, I would believe it

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Old ATS Thread

All roads lead to Sumer.

I think that is a very true quote. I bet we have NO idea who these conhead beings are. We can only speculate.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

History is filled with examples of humans deforming their bodies in the name of beauty or culture. The Japanese custom of binding women's feet,(no longer practiced ) the stretching of lips or necks. A custom of inserting rocks under the skin heck even today's tattoo craze. Why is this particular sort of custom so hard for you to accept when the custom of ahem customization has been in our culture for ever.

Because the fact of there head is shaped in that manner does not ALWAYS conclude it comes from head wrapping. Headwrapping often leaves evidence of headwrapping, and the skulls of headwrapped people look much different than this coneheaded person. The headwrapped method you can see where the cranium begins to grow and change into a cone, in this case the whole head looks like it, not sign that it was ever round on top like a 'human' skull is.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
a reply to: dollukka
Wow! Toward the last days we will probably get our answers!

I think about that all the time.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
If this really is true about the Elongated skulls I have a lot more reading to do.

It's funny how we pretend to know where we came from and what other species of humanoids existed. When in reality we almost know nothing about the history of the planet.

I don't think people could fathom a more intelligent (maybe) species of humanoid then us that went extinct.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revelations29
If this really is true about the Elongated skulls I have a lot more reading to do.

It's funny how we pretend to know where we came from and what other species of humanoids existed. When in reality we almost know nothing about the history of the planet.

True, there are a lot of gaps in our knowledge of the past. What anthropologist "claim" to know is what we have evidence for that can pass the muster of peer review. We can postulate and hypothesize all day long but when it comes down to it, its disingenuous and not good science to make claims without anything to support and back those claims up.

I don't think people could fathom a more intelligent (maybe) species of humanoid then us that went extinct.

Why not? The notion isn't outside the bounds of reality, there simply isn't anything to suggest that its the case. Nobody lost their mind over Gobekli Tepe and that pushed things back a few thousand years. People readily accepted Denisovans once the genetic analysis came back and that was a huge surprise.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I don't even know why I posted that. After looking at the Cranial Binding photos in that link above a few posts, it's obviously just that right?

It only seems logical but then again I am not well read on anthropology at all.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Yep, it started when they found Sumer which was an unknown civilization then then, before that they found the Inca and Aztecs and a host of other cultures, we survived that, we also survived finding the Classical Mayan, Olmec, Tolmecs, and the Khymer, Harappa, Han and of course our cousins the Neanderthal, Hobbits and now the Denisovians, etc, etc.

We are very adaptable and accepting of newness in Human History.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revelations29

Its hard to gauge how much we know versus how much we don't however comparing what we know about our prehistory now compared to say two hundred years ago our level of knowledge appears immense.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
God forbid I should mention Brien Foerster again, but while cranial deformation can substantially change the shape of the head, it CANNOT increase the cranial capacity; these skulls are sometimes a full 1/3 or more larger internally than present human skulls are, and it's not from hydrocephaly, which leaves no vein or brain imprint on the inside of the skulls, which these have. Headbinding also doesn't account for the structural differences. Some of these are huge!:

skull pics
edit on 545417amSaturdayf54Sat, 05 Jul 2014 01:54:54 -0500America/Chicago by signalfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Click on the link and then down to the one that says 'this is possibly the largest skull ever found'

wow

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
The way specially the elongated mummy is buried somehow reminds me of mimbres culture and their burial ways

Tho i dont see these buried inside pottery but the pose is quite similar.

Ditto for early Australian Aborigines.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join