It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My new knife came today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It's a morakniv bushcraft black. First mora i've ever had.
I wasn't really impressed with the factory edge but with some care its now scary sharp, cuts my beard whiskers way too easily.
Went outside and put it through some simple chores and i think i'll be leaving my old knife home from now on. The only gripe i have is this cheap plastic twisty clip on belt attachment with the sheath. Youtube doesn't have any really striking fixes, anyone have any suggestions?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I've got a green mora with rubber inserts. The green plastic sheath has a belt clip that is split in the middle. It's designed to go on a button. It will fall off of your belt. I put the sheath on then put a rubber band on it from the bottom around the clip to hold it on. It worked but eventually I sewed a button on all my hunting clothes. They are outstanding knives.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

If you take and present a picture of your knife, it might be easier for people to make suggestions for a fix. If you have looked for a fix and not found one, it might be necessary to go off the reservation for an answer, if you catch my drift.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I get you. here are some pics

here is the sheath and belt attachments

here is the whole kaboom, notice the belt clip-on isn't split

here is how they attach

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: echo4echo

i may have to toy around with your button idea.
Its seems like it may work for me

EDIT: No go, i have no buttons handy
edit on 7/3/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
As a temporary fix, i have some 550 cord looped through the hole where the attachment button goes, but without the button in there the knife is a little loose in the sheath and will slip out if turned upside down and shaken.
A more substantial fix will be needed

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I see. Yeah yours is vastly different. The clip on mine is molded onto the sheath. I got mine years back. If your worried about the sheath rotating maybe you could knot one end of your 550 cord and run it through the inside and out the drain hole. The knot will hold the cord in and you could use it as a leg tie to stabilize the knife. Not sure if that helps ( or even the problem u want solved). Good luck and let us know if u solve the problem.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: echo4echo

I have a fix that might last.
What i've done is, with the solid belt loop attachment i put it on then rotated it down until it is in line with the sheath then i wrapped it to the sheath itself with 550 cord going through the belt hole. I'll let you guys know if it still holds in a few weeks

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Hmm... The design of the sheaths attachment system really does not leave you with many options, between putting up with it, and making a permanent alteration to the system.

If it was mine, and I had the money to potentially ruin the sheath without crapping a brick over the expense, I might be tempted to figure out which attachment component is the best for my purposes, and try and permanently marry the sheath to the belt clip, using some high powered glue of some sort.

The other option, I suppose, would be to get a suitable material, and stitch together a basic sheath, around the plastic one, with a regular belt loop on it. That would offer you the same advantages in terms of weather protection for your blade, a clear bonus of owning the the sheath you have what with its tough looking outer surface, but also allow you to belt up like normal, which would do away with all that messing about with the janky assed system on the back of it.

It's a damned fine looking blade, but it's a shame that the sheath has that strange set up, rather than something which provides a little more assurance that if you take a tumble, you retain your blade.

ETA: you fixed it! Please disregard this message!
edit on 3-7-2014 by TrueBrit because: Added detail.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I've had one for quite some time and personally love the sheath...

Worn it on many an excursion into the deepest parts of the Great Smoky Mountains...

It clips on my belt very securely and has never indicated it may fall off; not even climbing and rappelling...

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

I don't know, man. I have a hard time trusting the plastic locking tab on this. I suppose if this rig doesn't snap off, i'll give it a shot to hold on of its own power. Its a hell of a blade and i would be sad to lose it

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Make a leather sheath.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Alright guys, i didn't like the 550 cord wrap. So, what i did is secure everything in position with Ranger bands.
They hold everything in place pretty darn well.

Fargoth:
If i had the leather, one wouldv'e already been made, but i like the way you think.
edit on 7/3/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Yeah I just like to use tools and make nice things, or use found junk nad make useful things Heck for awhile I carried a discarded kitchen knife in a sheath I made of duct tape and cardboard.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

make your own sheath with some old leather around the house.

I had a knife in inherited from my dad. he had it made from a dumptruck spring. The metal is somewhat soft on the edge, so i sharpen it after each outing. But i made my own sheath for it using some upholstery sewing gear and some rivets.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Redneck ingenuity at its finest.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis
I've had one for quite some time and personally love the sheath...

Worn it on many an excursion into the deepest parts of the Great Smoky Mountains...

It clips on my belt very securely and has never indicated it may fall off; not even climbing and rappelling...

Dude... can you rappel semper?

Really?

EDIT: I'm not even talking about climbing, mind you...
edit on 3-7-2014 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Temper the blade it's quick n easy.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I took the knife fishing with me today which means for me, trudging through thick brush.
Ranger bands held tight and i was happy with how the knife cleans fish.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: FraternitasSaturni

I'm a Rappel Master... Or at least I used to be back when I did a lot of climbing and such

top topics

<<   2 >>

join