It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six months after marijuana legalization: Colorado tax revenue skyrockets as crime falls

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
Useless dopehead propaganda. Dopeheads will say anything to push their agenda so they can say how harmless the drug is. I use to be one of the people that said the same stuff. Having smoked the stuff for years and having known people that smoked it it is far from harmless.

It like Alcohol.

If you use it heavily and regularly it will harm.

I know those that use it irregularly and it doesn't harm them.

It about how you use it not if you use it.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Useless dopehead propaganda. Dopeheads will say anything to push their agenda so they can say how harmless the drug is. I use to be one of the people that said the same stuff. Having smoked the stuff for years and having known people that smoked it it is far from harmless.

Yes and opinions, without facts are just as useful as a rock.

Too much of anything isn't good. I don't see how cold hard facts, could be used as 'propaganda' but I guess people see what they want to see.

If you are going to make declarative statements about something, do us all a favor and provide some reasoning.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Can I just say how nice it is to able to have a grown up discussion on this subject on ATS. I have always respected Skeptic Overlord (pbuh) holding a firm zero tolerance stance on marijuana threads but personally wished that it could be a topic for discussion but I have seeen how it descends often into crap on other sites and it needs judicial and intelligent moderation and rational debate.
Time was, a mere mention of anything weed related on ATS got both barrells of a 404, so I hope that more discussions can take place in the future on this interesting topic. Marijuana is part of life for so many and is a perfect example of corporate influence on government and a criminal waste of resources trying to stamp it out.

Like King Canute on the shoreline, the tide will come in regardless!
So the sensible thing is to discuss, learn, educate and deny ignorance.

So to quote the late ((better late than never!) great 'Country Dick Montana'
"I'm gonna roll another number....for the road"
edit on 7/4/14 by HumansEh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
How will our society change as a result of legalization---if true legalization ever happens?
Not much would my guess...considering that those who don't smoke presently probably won't be starting in droves. But the Reefer Madness folks would have us believe that the entire population is going to suddenly be stoned out of their minds---just like the Anti-Alcohol Leagues touted Demon Rum as the downfall of society early in the last century.
I had a giggle when I read in one post that someone didn't want their doc smoking MJ then working on them....little do we know just what those docs are doing. I'd be far more afraid of them being on some Big Pharma product personally but that's just my bias from having been associated with that racket many years ago. I know that at least two of the docs I see are smokers---not while practicing but rather than drink alcohol to relax they "burn one" in the evening when they are off duty.
I've been an activist for more years than I really like to remember, for complete legalization of the weed whether you call it hemp or marijuana. I should be able to grow this natural plant in my garden just as I grow tomatoes. The farmer who tends my land should be able to grow acres of hemp without having a background check and signing multitudes of documents to register with government agencies.
When the plant was banned it was at the direction of the Petro-Chemical Complex who feared their new synthetic fibers would never gain traction against a natural product that farmers could easily grow in any soil without the use of the newly introduced fertilizers. Now the interests of Big Pharma are being challenged because of the medicinal properties found in this plant. Just take a look or a listen to the advertising campaigns on every market media, TV, radio and magazines. Add up what that advertising costs and you'll get an idea of the power of those companies. Mainstream media is mostly supported by the Petro-Chemical Complex so it should come as no surprise that you won't hear them broadcasting the positive side of something that will substantially cut into their profits---a medicine that you can grow in your garden, a healthy food that you can consume and feed to livestock, a fiber that is grown without environment-killing pesticides and herbicides.
Over the past 40 years I've spoken with multitudes of legislators on this subject. In all that time I've never met one who didn't say privately that they agreed with me but they saw the issue as political suicide. Even those who opposed the use of the plant for medical or recreation would say that hemp should be legal. And even those who were against it would say that nobody should be put in jail for it but they didn't have the guts to stand up in public and say so. The home of the free and the brave indeed!

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

It like Alcohol.

If you use it heavily and regularly it will harm.

I know those that use it irregularly and it doesn't harm them.

It about how you use it not if you use it.

@ you and mostly wantsome. Yeeeeeeea no. It does nothing if used years and years and years. I know this from experience. It may do a little to your lungs but not much else. If you actually had experience like you claim, you wouldn't even post such nonsense. It's highly ironic everyone b**** about a plant that has grown and has the right to grow on our planet, yet we still call ourselves civilized and attempt to ban a plant that has a natural right to be here.... not only that, but I'm fairly certain we're harming ourselves to a much LARGER degree with the crap we shove down our throats that we call 'food.' But no one outlaws that crap and nom nom nom with smiles.
edit on 4-7-2014 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
A popular product, safer than basically any other drug out there, generating a lot of tax revenue? While at the same time notorious for mellowing people out and relaxing them? I could have sworn people were going to go crazy from refer madness and start hanging people from the gallows by the thousands, while chanting "Hail Satan!" as loudly as possible.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

More or less so than tobacco though? And if you believe in freedom and merica being the land of the free where a free individual can do what they want as long as they dont hurt others, what say you on this topic under that light?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Here her her, what do you know legalaization and branching outside our dictated norm can actually cause increase in goodness and profit in our states! Maybe all of america should try to have a more open mind. hmm!!

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Well, same thing could be said about alcohol and prescription drugs (with both being WAY more harmful) but I don't see you questioning that.... Weed IS harmless, it's ONLY dangerous for incompetent idiots who abuse it.... Like anything in life, with abuse, comes consequences... For many Tylenol isn't harmful (when taking a couple pills), but if I take a whole bottle I'm turning that drug into something very harmful.. I could come up with examples similar to that for Alcohol, prescription drugs, cigarettes, even driving a car can be harmful if not careful....

Actually, lets try this... You find me cases on Google of people who've died from marijuana and I will search for those who've died from alcohol and prescription drugs... I'm sure our totals will be very similar, right?

Please take no offense to this, but people like you are the reason why it's such a struggle to legalize a plant nowadays...

I smoke today because it helps with the treatment of my Crohn's disease. Smoking weed has added to my quality of life and to see you sit here calling others "dopeheads" and pushing "agendas" is ridiculous.... Educate yourself on the subject before talking, it will help you greatly on these discussion boards.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: KyoZero

originally posted by: beezzer
Okay.

I'm going to pee on everyone's parade.

Cannabis is a teratogenic substance.

Define Teratogen at Dictionary.com. teratogen. teratogen. a drug or other substance capable of interfering with the development of a fetus, causing birth defects.

We may not see the results now.

But we will be paying the price for this soon.

But party on. The bill won't be in the mail until your child is born deformed.

yup...so let's go ahead and make alcohol and cigarettes illegal...let's make products of big pharma illegal because all of those can cause terrible effects on fetuses

or wait...perhaps I have a better idea.

Why not make it legal like all those other more dangerous substances and perhaps let big grown ups be responsible. You shouldn't smoke anything while pregnant...period

Unfortunately people can't seen to be responsible I have a friend who's wife is a nurse and has stories about drug addicted babies that make you cry. Just as everyone who claims contraception has to be provided because its nature that makes women have sex its out of their control, then so it must be taking drugs while they are pregnant. If we could act responsible as adults we wouldn't need laws at all. Wouldn't that be great.

People need to be educated and make their choices. I am a late gen x'er myself...mom smoked pot for quite some time before she became pregnant with me...no ill effects here other than crap I caused on myself

I am not saying it doesn't happen...but that's an ill-argument

Personally I think it's a fantasy to think mothers are going to not smoke pot, drink, or act 100% responsible during pregnancy. I am not saying they are all this way but there are many thousands one born per hour. And that just opiates.

OTC's and prescriptions cause birth defects...still legal
alcohol causes severe birth defects...still legal and women STILL drink while pregnant
coc aine and meth...seriously dangerous to babies and the people who smoke it...illegal...still done daily by millions

not saying we need to legalize meth or anything but weed was made illegal because big industry and government lied...period. People have seen the signs and knew the truth for ages but oh no we can't shake up the status-quo can we?

The status quo is 8544 babies a year are addicted to opiate drugs add to that illegal drugs and I don't think the numbers are really known.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

What exactly are the harmful effects you've witnessed?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

It sounds like you see the positives here and that is fine. I do not hold that against you. I'm simply saying this is a long term social adjustment which will need time to sift itself out. If recent US history is any mirror, I am skeptical for the future.

It's fine with me if this is all legal now. Not my thing but less suffocation now-a-days is refreshing.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: hk00107

Prohibition was long term and a long time ago. We have the opportunity to study the effects. What is going on in Colorado is brand new. To claim all is puppy dogs and high cotton right out of the gate sound more emotional than subjective.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY
a reply to: hk00107

Prohibition was long term and a long time ago. We have the opportunity to study the effects. What is going on in Colorado is brand new. To claim all is puppy dogs and high cotton right out of the gate sound more emotional than subjective.

Would you admit that Marijuana might be less physically harmful to an individual than tobacco?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Here in Maryland it's been decriminalized.Hopefully in the future we'll follow CO,WA,in legalizing it..Maybe I can go,and open up a small business.;]..For all the reefer madness throwbacks,you should be worried about your kids getting a hold of your Scrips.i.e your pain meds,or your liquor..Those two I just mentioned are the leading causes of your kiddies overdosing,or ending up in a casket..It's not Maryjane..Imo Alcohol is a gateway drug,so ban that.Oh wait we tried that already..Heh,heh.Face it each year state,by state will be turning "greener"..
edit on 4-7-2014 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: greydaze
Here in Maryland it's been decriminalized.Hopefully in the future we'll follow CO,WA,in legalizing it..Maybe I can go,and open up a small business.;]..For all the reefer madness throwbacks,you should be worried about your kids getting a hold of your Scrips.i.e your pain meds,or your liquor..Those two I just mentioned are the leading causes of your kiddies overdosing,or ending up in a casket..It's not Maryjane..Imo Alcohol is a gateway drug,so ban that.Oh wait we tried that already..Heh,heh.Face it each year state,by state will be turning "greener"..

Its probably a natural, determined activity that will also democratically introduce 'greener' technologies, maybe. In that sense, a majority of the conservative view point is the wall between now and a better future.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace
snip

Right...and as I said...keeping it illegal changes absolutely nothing. You talk about Opiates and addicted babies and your facts well and good but coc aine is illegal and there are still crack-addicted babies.

While I am not saying coc aine should be legal, THC has health benefits...meanwhile we are ok with cigarettes and alcohol being legal even though they have devastating effects on baby and mom alike. at the very least THC has been shown to do good things. Alcohol gets you drunk and kills thousands all the time. Cigarettes kills hundreds of thousands and effect others. And when you do one or both of those during pregnancy...good goddess can that devastate babies...yet still legal

So yes many mothers will NOT be responsible...but that either means that you have to make all dangerous substances (alcohol and cigarettes) illegal as well or need to maybe relax your stance on something that actually DOES have health benefits to it

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: KyoZero

originally posted by: MarlinGrace
snip

Right...and as I said...keeping it illegal changes absolutely nothing. You talk about Opiates and addicted babies and your facts well and good but coc aine is illegal and there are still crack-addicted babies.

While I am not saying coc aine should be legal, THC has health benefits...meanwhile we are ok with cigarettes and alcohol being legal even though they have devastating effects on baby and mom alike. at the very least THC has been shown to do good things. Alcohol gets you drunk and kills thousands all the time. Cigarettes kills hundreds of thousands and effect others. And when you do one or both of those during pregnancy...good goddess can that devastate babies...yet still legal

So yes many mothers will NOT be responsible...but that either means that you have to make all dangerous substances (alcohol and cigarettes) illegal as well or need to maybe relax your stance on something that actually DOES have health benefits to it

Oh I am not saying for anyone to play favorites with the chemical of choice, while banning others. I don't use mood altering chemicals at all. Anything that changes your perception, your ability to function. etc. Should be illegal I am all for it. Unless of course if it prescribed by a doctor and that includes MJ. But recreational use like alcohol makes you a danger while doing something like driving or working, and should be stopped.

My issue has always been the same, someone driving down the frwy. big smile, steering wheel in one hand and a joint in the other, and everyone pulling along side wondering wtf. And I only say this because people can't be responsible, its your body I could care less, but when it affects me then no thats not fair. For me its the same with anything like that alcohol included.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero
Don't be knocking alcohol as having no benefits. Beer is one of the things that kept me sane when the work schedule was totally insane. Nothing better on a saturday night after busting your ass all week, back screaming in pain, than drinking some beer on the porch enjoying the breeze. Dulls the backpain, and shuts up my overactive brain for a while.

Getting older, the hangovers get worse though lol. My trick of drinking a huge glass of water before bed isn't working anymore for some reason. For the record, I would probably prefer pot, no hangover with that, but it triggers full-blown severe panic attacks in me now, so it's not an option anymore. Sometimes even just smelling it will set me off, no clue why.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join