It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six months after marijuana legalization: Colorado tax revenue skyrockets as crime falls

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   
if anything marijuana is a wonder crop and is effectively a license to print money !
I hope if Scotland becomes independent we can change our legislation and bolster our economy with marijauna sales

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Considering how authoriarian the SNP is I wouldn't count on getting weed before the rest of the UK.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Tax money, and fat, dumb and happy people who don't care about what they do afterward.

This is certainly not true in all cases.. I'd venture to say most, but not sure of that.

Personally I don't care for the stuff, but back in my old days it was fun for awhile, though over time it made me feel increasingly paranoid and overly concerned with even the smallest of details ; So I stopped at 19 yrs of age and only did partake in only a few occasions since.

However.. I know a person very close to me who has very different reaction. So much so that even though I have no use for it, am always glad whenever he does. It lifts his mood and motivates him to do things that he would otherwise put off.. or not do at all, and by that I mean good things. It makes him a happier person in many ways; And he's not overweight at all. I like it for him.

I have several medical issues and wish that I felt different about MM for myself, as I would rather that treatment than the several medications that I need (and that mostly carry stigma). I'm sure that there are pros and cons, but I hope the benefits outweigh the risks for those who need/want it for themselves, for whatever reason.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: crazyewok

Surely a centralised goverment banning a plant is about as bad as that goverment giving out for free?

Well if it has the 'right' to ban guns then it has the 'right' to ban plants.

Which way is it ?

It's funny as I read the post of this thread, many many of the same things can be said and applied to guns the same way. Specially the one about parents responsibility. I also find it interesting that day after day we question government motives on everything. Yet when its free pot for the poor, the only question seems to be how fast can we do it. I wonder.. if the government started to dispense happy pills would people line up to take them the next day without question.

As a society are we really ready to take another mind numbing chemical wholesale, further dumbing ourselves down in mass relinquishing control of our ability to make proper judgements about the things in life so critical to the nations well being. Why is no one screaming from the high heavens your government wants to supply yet another chemical to people without responsibility for their actions. Would it be the same if it was alcohol, free booze to lower income people "we made it acceptable on you EBT card".

There is a drone about things company's and corporations put in our food, our water, in the air we breath. But silence about marijuana, nothing about secondhand smoke, dosage control, controls for miss use, penalties for irresponsible use. It looks pretty rosy right now, but I will take a wait and see. I want to see if they attack secondhand smoke for Marijuana like cigarettes, I believe they call it a contact high. I don't know for sure I tried pot at a young age and didn't like being out of control.

Lets see if government liberals want some sort of controlled lockable storage system for this as they do guns to make children safe. You already know if it was guns that killed those two kids already the MSM would be touting the evils of firearms and our see we told you so mentality. Yeah i'll do the wait and see, our old friend hypocrisy should be around any moment now.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

You have a point.

Which is exactly why doctors tend to tell basketball smugglers to not be doing things like drinking smoking using drugs while hosting a parasite.

Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: FraternitasSaturni
well I'm all pro- this... its natural right? It just grows. Nature provided it right? Grow it... smoke it, take care of it, sleep with it, speak with it, pet it, name it, call it names, watch tv with it, eat it, wear it, whatever... if nature provided it to you, just make the best of it.

So yea, it turns out if you burn it it gives you some effects... hey... but fire is natural and the plant is natural so...

I'm just not a fan of those effects but by all means, enjoy what nature gives you man! I'm sure theres something out there for me

EDIT: oh yea... there is... is called alcohol. Its has some processing to it, but hey... we've been enjoying those effects for quite some ... thousand years now... lol

Lets see how well you do with something as common as Oleander. Found road sides and homes with pretty little flowers. One leaf is all it takes. When you have your tomatoes, stay away from the leaves. One of my favorite sayings was "well if God put it here it must be ok for you". I always thought they were already high after they said it.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
I was being an ass, I don't think GMO should be banned but properly labelled, so those that wish to avoid it can do so. Pot should be 100% legal, able to grow it yourself and evreything, but information should be available. Not the crap they came up with during the antipot propaganda era, but real information, rooted in real science. Then allow people to make their own choices, like we do in most cases, alcohol, tobacco, sugar, coffee etc etc.

Looks to me like they already genetically modify marijuana, wonder what the long term effects of that are. Never mind mutation breeding for higher THC, and great tasting flavors. Time will tell.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: monkofmimir

originally posted by: crazyewok

Nick Clegg and the lib dems want a review.

A review, woop-de-doo. With flip-flop policies like that I'm sure it'll be legal in no time

As I said its Nick Clegg so no one will listen to him anyway.

Camrons and Osborne are likely beating him up now and sticking his head down the toilet and flushing for daring to speak out of line

edit on 4-7-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you did.

As it happens, I agree with you. There is so much that we don't know about the very long term effects.

Anything that effects brain function will have, to some degree or other, repercussions. Short term and long term.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

Hemlock is natural. You wouldn't want to have a Socrates Cocktail, for instance.

No but if one chooses to take one id view it as there choice. If not a very stupid one

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Okay.

I'm going to pee on everyone's parade.

Cannabis is a teratogenic substance.

Define Teratogen at Dictionary.com. teratogen. teratogen. a drug or other substance capable of interfering with the development of a fetus, causing birth defects.

We may not see the results now.

But we will be paying the price for this soon.

But party on. The bill won't be in the mail until your child is born deformed.

Alcohol is the same though.

Like booze dont do pot when pregnant.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
From the opening article -

Six months on, Colorado’s marijuana shops are mushrooming,

Sorry, but that made me chuckle ....

Seriously ... legalize it, regulate it, tax it.
There is no reason not to.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZeroReady
Hate to play devils advocate, as I am all for legalization, but what about Kids that find their parents edibles and end up in the hospital?

I know, there's only been 9 kids admitted for too much THC, and while the effects aren't really life threatening, they shouldn't be eating their parents meds, the parents shouldn't leave their meds laying around, and they stuff probably shouldn't be made to look so appealing to kids.

Same goes for any Rx med, firearms, chemicals, power tools. The question is, is it now the responsibility of the state to try to keep edibles out of kids hands, or do parents need to be educated and we just have to hope that not too many kids eat their parents weed, just like we hope not too many kids find their parents oxy's or booze or pistols and harm themselves.

You can legislate for legalisation, decriminalisation, bans etc, you can't legislate for human stupidity

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

....sshhhhttt..... be quiet.... this only can be a conspiracy theory...

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Let's do this thing!

This is great news. The effect is about the same as if they'd legalize gay marriage. More revenue, more freedom. No ill effects.

Lol kinda a far reach isn't it? what kind of tax money do you think the state will get if they legalize gay marriage? 11M a year in tax? gay marriage has nothing to do with or in common with this issue.

It is great news though. few days ago i read they are working on taking marijuana off the class 1 drug list. witch is a well needed move. allot of people don't know this but we are upto i think 22 states that have legalized it for medical use. If we can get Florida and Ohio to pass even for medical issue that is when you will see the entire country go legal. But they are the 2 states we need to help get it to pass. Big issue for Ohio is the fact that the big pharma co's has a very tight grip in Ohio on our politicians. Big pharma knows this will hurt there income. who will buy them perkasets at 60$ a pill then later need a liver or kidney transplant because the pain killers destroy your kidneys and liver? big pharma looses alot of money if this gets legal

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Seems Colorado did it right, but in the northwest, it seems things might not be quite as rosy.

Legal Weed in Washington State Has Been Completely Screwed Up

Guess Washington state should take a few lessons from Colorado.

And which state do you think the people against legalization are going to hold up as the example?

The jury might still be out.
edit on 7/4/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ZeroReady

Good point...but there is still level of responsibility that parents are no longer required to have. It isnt the states job. And this is just hospitalizations. Worse things happen that we will never hear about.

Its the parents responsibility. When one person #s their pants you dont make a law requiring everyone to wear diapers

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

What is sure to happen is those who were dealing in Marijuana will move onto dealing in other drugs far more deadly and addictive like Cyrstal Meth & Heroin.

Thats where the problems lie..

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

We would have generations, millions of kids, all screwed up because of this and it hasn't happened. I've NEVER heard of a case where this has happened. I say this is bullspit. It's been around for thousands of years, where are all the deformed kids from pot throughout history?

Nope, I just can't buy that one.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: monkofmimir

well SNP have to get voted in first ! quite alot of YES crowd are pushing for the green party at the moment
well in my circle of friends and extended friends

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join