It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky Baptist church schedules first gay wedding only hours after ban ends

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
I see the heretic is at it again.

Did somebody call me?

This is very interesting news. I attended mostly Baptist churches while growing up and the ones in my day would not do this. It's good to see the church coming around.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DarknStormy

Really? Top three religions? Please point out the Hindu texts that condemn homosexuality.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarknStormy

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Judges on high horses...
Iam way out of this thread it has sickened me.

People can make opinions when it comes to what is taught in the Bible or even the Qu'ran. I am not judging anyone personally, what I am saying comes from the religious texts, it actually says in the New Testament that Homosexuals are deserving of death. So if that is the case, Homosexuality is a very big insult to religion.

Quote the verse from the New Testament that consigns homosexuals to death. If not admit you don't know what your'e talking about.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Don't discriminate against homosexuals, just keep it away from places of worship.

Um... that's discrimination.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Practicing homosexuals can't be practicing Christians anymore than practicing murderers, or practicing liars, or practicing heretics.

So... Practicing Christians NEVER lie?

link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Who here speaks for God?

All three of these religions also have aspects that teach that love and forgiveness are qualities to be emulated and striven for here on earth. Caring for one another, doing good to each other.

Why not let God/Allah/Yahweh decide who belongs to Him and who doesn't, and keep the hateful opinions to yourselves?

Because there has never been a more divisive or subtle tool than religion. Behold its work.

Oh, I know full well that most if not all religions are more consumed with hatred and societal control, not to mention archaic, barbaric, self-contradictory, and abusive.

If they're going to "talk the talk" though, they should at least follow what the Book actually says and not make it up as they go along. That's just pure BS.

I was trying to be a bit more gentle than usual ... LOL.

link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Judges on high horses...
Iam way out of this thread it has sickened me.

People can make opinions when it comes to what is taught in the Bible or even the Qu'ran. I am not judging anyone personally, what I am saying comes from the religious texts, it actually says in the New Testament that Homosexuals are deserving of death. So if that is the case, Homosexuality is a very big insult to religion.

Quote the verse from the New Testament that consigns homosexuals to death. If not admit you don't know what your'e talking about.

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminates [malakoi], nor homosexuals [arsenokoitai], nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God (1 Cor 6:9-10).
The words translated as “effeminates” and “homosexuals” are often omitted in modern Bible translations and replaced with the single word “perverts,” even though two separate words appear in the Greek text of Paul’s First Epistle to the Corinthians.

Lest there be any doubt about the identity of arsenokoitai with homosexuals, let us turn to the Greek Septuagint version of Leviticus 20:13, which reads, “If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death.” While the Old Testament death penalty for homosexuality was abolished by Christ, this passage undoubtedly refers to homosexual practice and confirms that Paul’s use of the Greek word arsenokoitai prohibits the same behavior described in Leviticus 20:13—men having relations with men.

I'm not arguing against gay marriage (I would be very happy to see my parents finally married), I'm curious to see how you will refute these scriptures as they are explained here.
edit on 3-7-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Don't discriminate against homosexuals, just keep it away from places of worship.

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

LOL

Oh the irony.... I'm sure they didn't even get it either BH
edit on 3/7/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

Who here speaks for God?

All three of these religions also have aspects that teach that love and forgiveness are qualities to be emulated and striven for here on earth. Caring for one another, doing good to each other.

Why not let God/Allah/Yahweh decide who belongs to Him and who doesn't, and keep the hateful opinions to yourselves?

Because there has never been a more divisive or subtle tool than religion. Behold its work.

Oh, I know full well that most if not all religions are more consumed with hatred and societal control, not to mention archaic, barbaric, self-contradictory, and abusive.

If they're going to "talk the talk" though, they should at least follow what the Book actually says and not make it up as they go along. That's just pure BS.

I was trying to be a bit more gentle than usual ... LOL.

That was me being gentle.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Practicing homosexuals can't be practicing Christians anymore than practicing murderers, or practicing liars, or practicing heretics.

So... Practicing Christians NEVER lie?

Actually, I'm not practicing anymore ... I've gotten pretty good at it after all these years.

Most of these so-called Christians on this board though ... their behavior suggests they need to go back and start with the fundamentals.

IMHO.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

"Arsenokoitai" means "abusers of themselves with mankind" (WTF does that mean?)

Source

Some say it means "sodomites". If that's the case, there are many gay people who aren't in trouble at all (lesbians and gay men who don't practice sodomy) and lots of straight couples fit that description.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

"Arsenokoitai" means "abusers of themselves with mankind" (WTF does that mean?)

Source

Some say it means "sodomites". If that's the case, there are many gay people who aren't in trouble at all (lesbians and gay men who don't practice sodomy) and lots of straight couples fit that description.

But the inclination to, the desire to, is just as bad as the act, right? Just like wanting to rape someone, wanting to murder someone, wanting to steal from someone are all bad things to feel. The urge is just as bad as the deed, for the urge indicates a capacity for that deed. It's the devil knocking on your door. You haven't opened it, but that doesn't mean you're safe.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

There's good scholarship that suggests that the words used translated variously homosexual, effeminate, were intended to demonstrate temple prostitutes -- those of lesser social standing who were usually the, er, passive partner.

These passages have been debated for years as you clearly understand from your references.

However, there is no requirement in the New Testament that even the arsenokotai be put to death, that's strictly OT. In fact, Paul specifically says that God will be the judge of these individuals.

Curiously, in this context, there's been a lot of theorizing that the Apostle Paul was a celebate homosexual, thus all his references to the "thorn in the flesh" and his repeatedly stated hatred of all intercourse and rather blatant misogyny.

Also, jumping back from Paul to Jesus, there's a pretty clear interpretation of the healing of the Centurion's "servant" (Matthew 8, Luke 7) that says that all present knew that the word "pais" in this context meant that the boy was either a male concubine or favored lover.

Jesus didn't have a problem with it.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

No worries, I have it cited just for instances like this...

Romans 1:24-32

24 Therefore God also gave them over to the lusts of their own hearts for uncleanness, to contaminate their own bodies between themselves, 25 who changed the truth of God into a lie and worshipped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed for all ages. Amen.
26 For this cause God gave them up unto shameful affections, for even their women changed the natural use into that which is against nature;

27 and likewise also the males, leaving the natural use of the females, burned in their lust one toward another, males with males committing nefarious works and receiving in themselves the recompense that proceeded from their error. 28And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a perverse understanding, to do those things which are not convenient, 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30 backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, without mercy. 32 Who having understood the righteousness of God, they did not understand that those who do such things are worthy of death, not only those that do the same, but even those who encourage those that do them.

Nah, I don't know what I'm talking about.... But here's some more.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10

9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither Fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor Homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the Kingdom of God.

The Bible is pretty straight forward about transgressors.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

1 Corinthians 6:9-10

9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither Fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor Homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the Kingdom of God.

Is there anyone left?
Gonna be a pretty empty place...

*sigh*
edit on 3/7/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

This is the same person who said women should be silent in church, and their only real use is to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen...

Why trust a Pharisee?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Neither Romans nor Corinthians gives instruction to kill homosexuals.

Just out of curiosity, since you, as a non-believer, have these verses saved in your special place ... do you also find threads talking about sexual swingers, sexually active teenagers, burglars, drunks, et. al. and point your verse out? Or is it just the gays that get under your skin?

You're mistaken. You've proven you're mistaken with the verses you quote. There is no instruction, injunction, direction, etc. to kill gays in the NT. Period.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Sorry, I stuffed up there.. What I'm saying is that Gay's should have the freedom to marry but at the same time they should respect religious institutions if they are denied marriage in churches knowing full well of the religious stance concerning homosexuality.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

The Bible is pretty straight forward about transgressors.

Yeah, it's a good thing the translations from the original are so freaking accurate, huh? What? You say there was no word for "homosexuals" in biblical times? That doesn't matter, though. The gays are worthy of death!

LOL You guys slay me! LOL

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

This is the same person who said women should be silent in church, and their only real use is to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen...

Why trust a Pharisee?

ESPECIALLY one that was apparently never married, never had children, in a culture where those were dictated for all males but PARTICULARLY those who studied the Torah as a Pharisee.

But, /shrug, maybe Paul was just hopelessly impotent ... there are a lot of possibilities when you try to make sense of fairy tales.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join