It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky Baptist church schedules first gay wedding only hours after ban ends

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: DarknStormy

The hypocrisy that I speak of is where all three religions preach love and acceptance yet condemn other humans for things like being gay.

On the other hand, many churches preach that one can condemn the sin without condemning the sinner. One does not have to accept what one considers a sin without necessarily hating the person involved.

I deal with religious hypocrisy very easily--I don't belong to one. Getting back to Jefferson--"If it neither breaks my leg or picks my pocket."

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

The hypocrisy that I speak of is where all three religions preach love and acceptance yet condemn other humans for things like being gay.

Honestly, if the various sects of Christianity, Islam and Judaism cannot even tolerate their own internal factions how could they possibly preach 'love and acceptance' at all?

The most ironic of all violence is when two of these cretins are banging each other in the head with rocks and proclaiming their flavor of God should be the only one at Baskin Robbins.

edit on 7-7-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Well it depends how you look at the situation. We are taught in todays world that people are born gay and they cannot change that about themselves. Religion disagrees with that suggestion, religion sees Homosexuality as a Behavior that can be changed.

What must be understood is that there are different perspectives on this issue. Being born gay is one but isn't set in stone either. Maybe the people who gave us the religious texts went through these issues back in the day and seen what they ended up like, I don't know. Homosexuality is condemned in these 3 particular religions. We can scream the house down, condemn the religions, even burn a Bible to show our distaste but it's not going to change a thing. When it comes down to it, Homosexuality is still condemned in these religions.

It doesn't say go out and persecute Homosexuals, you would have to persecute drunks and boasters and the many other examples used for unrighteousness also. It just condemns Homosexuality amongst other issues also. Turn your back on them, do anything that isn't going to get you in trouble and isn't going to affect your faith. If people cannot uphold the teachings, then don't call yourself a Christian, A Muslim or a Jew. Faith is based around upholding what was taught, not making up your own version which would be a counterfeit.

That is the entire problem with Christianity these days. No-one can reach a common ground because they all have different opinions and views that conflict. One says this is OK, the other condemns it, another says this is wrong, the other disagrees, it's actually a frigging joke to be honest with you. The faith is being destroyed by it's very own followers if it hasn't been destroyed already of course.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

That is the entire problem with Christianity these days. No-one can reach a common ground because they all have different opinions and views that conflict. One says this is OK, the other condemns it, another says this is wrong, the other disagrees, it's actually a frigging joke to be honest with you. The faith is being destroyed by it's very own followers if it hasn't been destroyed already of course.

Right!
lol!

You are quite an enigma DnS. But no matter how delightful and evasive your posts/attitude - you are wrong about it being merely a "choice" and a "sin."

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
It is simply not true that all of the "3 monotheistic religions" do not accept homosexuals.

There are over 30 Christian denominations in North America alone and nearly 100 worldwide that openly accept gays and lesbians, including some of the most numerous.

Both Reconstructionalist Judaism and Reform Judaism accept homosexuals.

More than 164 Rabbis have signed the 2008 Declaration of Principals by the Israeli Hod ("Religious Homosexuals") organization which states that there is nothing forbidden in a homosexual orientation, and further that homosexuals should not be excluded from the religious community.

While Islam officially condemns homosexual behavior, it has always been accepted in various forms. Several modern states have no laws against homosexuals, and Albania is actually considering same sex marriage. The Ottoman Empire officially decriminalized homosexuality in 1858. Some Islamic scholars have noted that sexual orientation is not a sin.

SO, in short, no "all three monotheistic religions" do not uniformly nor universally condemn LGBTQ, etc.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarknStormy
Yet again wrong?

No. I'm correct. You are wrong.

If you were to be judged by that Book tomorrow, you would be heading down south.

You don't know what the the bible really says .... and so you are in no position to play pretend judge with anyone's soul.

Bottom line .. no one can prove that God ever said homosexuality sends someone to hell ... and science shows that homosexuality has a physical element (i.e. not a choice). Kudos to the Baptists for realizing this.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Well it depends how you look at the situation. We are taught in todays world that people are born gay and they cannot change that about themselves. Religion disagrees with that suggestion, religion sees Homosexuality as a Behavior that can be changed.

What must be understood is that there are different perspectives on this issue. Being born gay is one but isn't set in stone either. Maybe the people who gave us the religious texts went through these issues back in the day and seen what they ended up like, I don't know. Homosexuality is condemned in these 3 particular religions. We can scream the house down, condemn the religions, even burn a Bible to show our distaste but it's not going to change a thing. When it comes down to it, Homosexuality is still condemned in these religions.

Yea and? That doesn't change my point that the religions are being hypocritical.

It doesn't say go out and persecute Homosexuals, you would have to persecute drunks and boasters and the many other examples used for unrighteousness also. It just condemns Homosexuality amongst other issues also. Turn your back on them, do anything that isn't going to get you in trouble and isn't going to affect your faith. If people cannot uphold the teachings, then don't call yourself a Christian, A Muslim or a Jew. Faith is based around upholding what was taught, not making up your own version which would be a counterfeit.

You mean like these two gems?
Deuteronomy 21:18-21 18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Leviticus 20:9 "'Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death. Because they have cursed their father or mother, their blood will be on their own head.

So, according to you, you aren't a good Christian unless you stone your rebellious child to death all because that was in the teachings.

This is probably the truest thing you've said.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Tis true, I just wish that was more true of every Christian instead of a percentage of the whole.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Ok Atheist Christian, what ever you say. By the sounds of it, you haven't read the entire New Testament.

edit on 7-7-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Still waiting for someone to prove that GOD wrote the Abrahamic laws against homosexuality. That means they'd have to prove that God wrote all that Leviticus nonsense about 'not eating bacon' and 'don't plant your garden with mixed seeds' and 'don't shave your beard a certain way'. That means they'd have to prove that Muhammad actually was a real prophet and not just some guy faking visions in order to gain power.

Still waiting ... all these pages and no one has proven it at all.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

but... the bible proves the bible because it says so...

Thought we covered that...

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Still waiting for someone to prove that GOD wrote the Abrahamic laws against homosexuality. That means they'd have to prove that God wrote all that Leviticus nonsense about 'not eating bacon' and 'don't plant your garden with mixed seeds' and 'don't shave your beard a certain way'. That means they'd have to prove that Muhammad actually was a real prophet and not just some guy faking visions in order to gain power.

You Atheists are always looking for proof, if only you knew these religions are based off faith, not scientific proof.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Knock it off. I'm not an atheist.
Get on topic. And I'm not it.

Again ... to anyone out there ... prove that God said homosexuality is a sin. Go ahead. Prove it. And if you can, then we'll all change our entire way of life and start condemning all the homosexuals to hell. But unless you can prove that God hates homosexuality, then what you are doing is just pushing bronze age NONSENSE that was invented by uneducated peasants.

Welcome to 2014. We don't just take anyones word for it when they claim God spoke to them.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
but... the bible proves the bible because it says so...

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Prove that Jesus Existed?

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

You Atheists are always looking for proof, if only you knew these religions are based off faith, not scientific proof.

I'm not an atheist but I'm not so arrogant as to think I know the mind of God. Having FAITH that you do is a trecherous path.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
So since obviously no one can prove that GOD actually said 'homosexuality is wrong', then we shouldn't have laws based on Him supposedly saying that. (otherwise, people who do that are guilty of putting words into God's mouth ... that's something fake 'prophets' do) Therefore, the Baptists are evolved and showing great understanding about the REAL Christian law as put down by Jesus Himself - Love God and Love Neighbor.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Prove that Jesus Existed?

Sure...

Now im certainly not a fan of Paul, but he has his uses...

For example... Unlike the gospels we do have letters that were signed by Paul, so we know he existed as an historical figure...

In Galatians he wrote this...

18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.

19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.

Now we know Paul never met Jesus... but from this we can know that Paul met James who was the brother of Jesus...

So we can logically produce proof from the letters of history that Jesus was in fact an historical figure...

Plus we also have the first letter from peter... which most scholars believe was in fact dictated by peter the closest follower of Jesus...

And lets not forget most of these people died for their beliefs in him... People don't surrender their lives for someone who did not exist...

edit on 7-7-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
There's evidence for anything that exists.

Using conceptual evidence to prove ideas or facts actually exist is hardly the unique perspective of science or atheism but exists in philosophy, theology, psychology, mathematics, etc. .

To claim otherwise is merely a cop-out to avoid that something does not in fact exist .

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

But some say that the accounts are 2nd and 3rd (maybe even 4th) hand which means they didn't come from the apostles but people later on in history. How do we know they are accurate when they could of been fabricated by those people down the track?

One of the Oldest Christian texts from James in a Greek Orthodox Church in Palestine refutes most of what is written in the New Testament, does this mean that the Bible isn't telling the truth about Jesus and it was fabricated after the death of Jesus? Maybe Jesus is not the Son of God either as there is no reference to him being the Son of God in that book either.

It's funny we are having this discussion because Islam paints a very clear picture of what's happened and funnily enough, it is an undeniable fact which I guess you could say is still being practiced today.

If only the people of the Book (The Bible) had believed and been righteous, we should indeed have blotted out their iniquities and admitted them to Gardens of Bliss (Paradise). If only they had stood fast by the Law, the Gospel, and all the revelation that was sent to them from their Lord, they would of enjoyed happiness from every side. There is from among them a party on the right course: but many of them follow a course that is evil - Al Maidah 5:65

I guess we now know why the Qu'ran was sent in the first place... Because the Bible was fabricated by the sounds of it... Isn't it funny that it's the only one out of the three religions that doesn't fit in let alone make any sense most of the time?

edit on 7-7-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join