It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky Baptist church schedules first gay wedding only hours after ban ends

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: manna2
Actually it comes from psalms 14:3. But you are right, it is paul quoting scripture here. I think the verse before, in Romans 13:9 answers every question for both sides in this "debate". Dont you agree?a reply to: Gryphon66

Since you asked, allow me to clarify that I think the Bible is nothing more than the archaic superstitions of desert herdsmen that got overlaid with Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Greek and Roman philosophy, which has for most of the last two millennia been used as a political document to deprive people of their individual thought, desires and freedom. That's for me. In my world, there is no YHVH or Jesus or Satan or ... what have you. To me, it's like someone reading a comic book and taking it seriously.

However, I can acknowledge the beliefs of others so long as they don't try to enforce them upon society at large or, most, importantly, upon me. I congratulate those Christians, like the Baptists in the OP and others who have managed to leave behind, as FlyersFan puts it, a Bronze Age mentality, and come into the 21st century with the rest of us.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Of course he had the authority to change and perfect the laws. Matthew chapter 28 verse 18, Jesus said this, "All authority is given unto Me in heaven and in earth." He backed up his claim to have all authority from God by his miracles.

When it comes down to it, he didn't want to abolish the old laws. He elaborated on them, Same law, different interpretation. This is clearly shown in the Bible..

Others have claimed authorities or visions ... like Muhammad ... but they never backed up those claims. Jesus backed his claim to 'all authority' by the miracles he performed, miracles which included raising the dead.

So what.. it doesn't change the fact that Jesus was sent to fulfil prophecy, not change the laws of the prophets before him.

"You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment'" (Matthew 5:21).

"You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery'" (Matthew 5:27).

"'Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.'" (Matthew 5:33)

Referencing the Old teachings... What does he go on to say about these? He doesn't abolish them, he toughens up on them and adds his own commentary about the issues. He was never here to do away with the Old Laws as much as you think he was. If he came to abolish the Old teachings, he wouldn't be a prophet to any of the religions.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

A homosexual telling me about credibility and religion? Next.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I would think, personally, that I'd rather have an honest homosexual telling anybody anything than to listen to a bigot spew lies and hatred ... but that's just me.

Just a general statement made generally not directed at anyone in particular ...

... unless the jackboot fits of course. Your mileage may vary

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

There are bigger issues to me than Homosexuals and Religion.. I'm just showing that Religion (regardless of which one) condemns homosexuality. That is an undeniable fact and bad luck for you or anyone else who wants to argue that matter. It's an open and shut case which ever way you decide to approach it.

Homosexuality falls under Lust and Sexual Immorality which are both mentioned amongst the acts of unrighteousness. According to the Bible, Homosexuality is a behaviour, not a condition.

1 Corinthians 5:9–11
I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people—not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. (ESV)

1 Timothy 1:8-10
Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine ... (ESV)

See that, Homosexuality is contrary to the teachings of Christianity and the very law was written for those types of people.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: DarknStormy

Wow just because I think gay people should have the same rights as everyone else Iam gay?.
Iam not gay not that it bothers me.
You just keep on proving to me you are a bigot.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   
How would you know?a reply to: BuzzyWigs

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Wow just because I think gay people should have the same rights as everyone else Iam gay?.
Iam not gay not that it bothers me.
You just keep on proving to me you are a bigot.

one all, sorry about that, that squares up the Muslim thing.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: manna2

I happen to know quite a bit about lots of religions. I've studied them. *eyeroll*

I'm also educated. Because I'm not AFRAID of hearing other ideas and ideologies, or studying history and anthropology. You should try it!

You'd be surprised to know that most non-religious people interested in the topic from an anthropological perspective know MORE about your Bible than many of you who are allowed to wave it around and bash other people with it.

edit on 7/7/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarknStormy
he didn't want to abolish the old laws. He elaborated on them, Same law, different interpretation. This is clearly shown in the Bible..

Yes ... he PERFECTED THEM. He taught the SPIRIT of the law, not the legalities that people heaped upon them. And it is clearly shown in scripture, like I already posted. So you are admitting you are (yet again) wrong? Jesus did indeed perfect the law.

edit on 7/7/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Who cares what your belief is? Why do you think anyone here wants read post after post?

If you think homosexuality is a sin, then, don't do homosexual things. It's really simple.

But your locus of control ends at the edge of your skin. You have nothing to say to anyone else except continually bleating the same thing. Okay, we get it. You think homosexuality is a sin and homosexuals are sinners.

Bully.

Obviously, these folks in KY don't share your backward opinion. Nor does the Presbyterian Church, nor about 30 or so more Christian denominations world-wide. The common opinion of the people of the United States is also, obviously, shifting against your belief.

So, in short, enjoy your beliefs; not many share them. Next?

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
You do realize that those anti-homosexual laws were written by humans thousands of years ago, right? It was part of their culture not to like homosexual behavior so they claimed that it was against what God wanted as well. They assumed to know what God wanted and they did the talking for God ... which is a no-no. There is no proof that God wrote those laws, but there is plenty of proof that humans did.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
But you started a thread asking if you are a Christian and everyone that knew scripture and practiced Christianity told you, using scripture, you were not. Then you tried to force the issue by stating you did all these things that gave you some whacko idea you weremore "christian" than those that actually walked the walk. You thought, and still do, that some superficialregistration for a church bake sale qualified youas beleiver, yet you dont believ. Butinyour mind you have more works qualifying you for a nonworks based ideal. An ideal by all standards, except yourown, leaves you confused. Yet you still want to claim you know more than actually do study. But you are quick to show us your ignorance while youpractice back slapping with thebackridden pretending to educate your betters with circle logic and apostate clarity.

NO, NO, NO, you know nothing. All the study inthe world could not get you tounderstand what the Holy Spirit has blocked from your view and understanding. Without the Holy Spirit assistance you could not glean the slightest in knowledge from that supernatural body from scripture. You instead are left with "study" as you say of a works that equates to understanding that could just as easily come from years of studyingthe funny papers in hopes that others will call you a comic. Well, but....you are kinda funny the way you are trying to pull it off. I guessyouthink we are going to bowto your authoritah

No, you are not Biblicly knowledgeable, in theleast. No, you are not a Christian, and no, nobody thinks otherwise but you.....and some backslapping cheerleading types. So when you attemptto reprove your betters using a faux understanding of the things you despise, it comes across to those that actually do the due diligence, as just another poser anti-christ. A low level one at that. a reply to: BuzzyWigs

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: manna2

No, you are not Biblicly knowledgeable, in theleast. No, you are not a Christian, and no, nobody thinks otherwise but you.....and some backslapping cheerleading types. So when you attemptto reprove your betters using a faux understanding of the things you despise, it comes across to those that actually do the due diligence, as just another poser anti-christ. A low level one at that

Wow.

Feel better now? Your blood pressure falling?

I NEVER SAID I WAS A CHRISTIAN. I DON'T THINK I AM A CHRISTIAN.
I am also not an asshole.

and YOU are NOT MY BETTER.

Dry up, manna. I'm done with you.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
www.rawstory.com...

Highland Baptist Church Pastor Joe Phelps said on Wednesday that his church would marry Bannister and Carr in its first same-sex wedding ceremony next May.

“It takes courage to step out into the unknown,” Phelps pointed out to The Courier-Journal. “It’s taking us courage to be one of the first churches to do this.”

Well isn't this interesting? A Baptist church marrying two gay guys!

I predict this will set off a firestorm of protest and condemnation from the far right Christian community, the likes of which, we have never seen.

Courage indeed pastor Phelps!!

Meh...their church, their rules. As long as they were not coerced into doing it, I don't care.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Definitely no "manna from heaven" in this thread, eh Buzzy?

First of all, as a member of this community, may I apologize to you personally on the behalf of posters who have gone way beyond any discussion of the issues at hand into personal attacks against you. The prideful arrogance not to mention spitefulness being routinely put on display here belies any claim to authority of any kind whatsoever.

I know you obviously have it in perspective for the basically meaningless prattle that it is, but still, you're an excellent contributor to this community and don't deserved to be addressed that way ... by anyone.

Best,

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Yes ... he PERFECTED THEM. He taught the SPIRIT of the law, not the legalities that people heaped upon them. And it is clearly shown in scripture, like I already posted. So you are admitting you are (yet again) wrong? Jesus did indeed perfect the law.

Yet again wrong? If you were to be judged by that Book tomorrow, you would be heading down south.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarknStormy
a reply to: Gryphon66

There are bigger issues to me than Homosexuals and Religion.. I'm just showing that Religion (regardless of which one) condemns homosexuality. That is an undeniable fact and bad luck for you or anyone else who wants to argue that matter. It's an open and shut case which ever way you decide to approach it.

You keep saying things like this and that homosexuality has been condemned throughout history but it's simply not true. Maybe the Abrahamic religions condemn it, but they are by no means the only religions to have ever existed in the past.

History of homosexuality

Societal attitudes towards same-sex relationships have varied over time and place, from expecting all males to engage in same-sex relationships, to casual integration, through acceptance, to seeing the practice as a minor sin, repressing it through law enforcement and judicial mechanisms, and to proscribing it under penalty of death.

First paragraph of the wiki article literally contradicts your claims, but let's continue.

Among indigenous peoples of the Americas prior to European colonization, a common form of same-sex sexuality centered around the figure of the Two-Spirit individual.

Homosexuality in Japan, variously known as shudo or nanshoku, has been documented for over one thousand years and had some connections to the Buddhist monastic life and the samurai tradition. This same-sex love culture gave rise to strong traditions of painting and literature documenting and celebrating such relationships.

In Persia homosexuality and homoerotic expressions were tolerated in numerous public places, from monasteries and seminaries to taverns, military camps, bathhouses, and coffee houses. In the early Safavid era (1501–1723), male houses of prostitution (amrad khane) were legally recognized and paid taxes. Persian poets, such as Sa’di (d. 1291), Hafiz (d. 1389), and Jami (d. 1492), wrote poems replete with homoerotic allusions. The two most commonly documented forms were commercial sex with transgender young males or males enacting transgender roles exemplified by the köçeks and the bacchás, and Sufi spiritual practices in which the practitioner admired the form of a beautiful boy in order to enter ecstatic states and glimpse the beauty of god.

The Laws of Manu, the foundational work of Hindu law, mentions a "third sex", members of which may engage in nontraditional gender expression and homosexual activities.[28]

If you'll notice each of those quotes from the wiki article mentions how homosexuality was not only tolerated but also INTEGRATED into the religions of those people. So STOP saying that religions throughout history denounce homosexuality. It's really only the Abrahamic ones that are intolerant about it. This of course says MUCH about those 3 religions and the hypocrisy they spew on a regular basis.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No it's not hypocrisy, if you don't like what is taught in the 3 monotheistic religions then don't practice or proclaim to be part of either one of them. It's as simple as that. Go take up Shinto or some other Philosophy that doesn't condemn or is tolerant of Homosexuality.

Your right though, I am speaking about the 3 major monotheistic religions and I will stop using the word religion as representing only them 3.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

The hypocrisy that I speak of is where all three religions preach love and acceptance yet condemn other humans for things like being gay.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join