It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Kentucky Baptist church schedules first gay wedding only hours after ban ends

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:36 PM

originally posted by: FlyersFan
a reply to: manna2
Correct. It's well established that there are physical elements and that orientation isn't a 'decision'. A case can be made that SOME homosexual orientations are the result of life events. But even in those cases, it's still not a 'choice' decision. So Darknstormy is wrong.

Major studies disagree with your view and some of them are by homosexuals.

No evidence

At best, the evidence for a genetic and/or biological basis to homosexual orientation is inconclusive. In fact, since the early 1990s, numerous studies attempting to establish a genetic cause for homosexuality have not proven to be valid or repeatable – two important requirements for study results to become accepted as fact in the scientific community.

Because of this, the current thinking in the scientific community is that homosexuality is likely caused by a complex interaction of psychosocial, environmental and possible biological factors. And the two leading national psychiatric and psychological professional groups agree that, so far, there are no conclusive studies supporting any specific biological or genetic cause for homosexuality. (1)

In sum, there is no scientific or DNA test to tell us if a person is homosexual, bisexual or even heterosexual for that matter. And since nobody is “born gay,” it’s clear that sexual orientation is, at its core, a matter of how one defines oneself – not a matter of biology or genes.

People are not born gay and their is no evidence to suggest that they are either. The Next quotes are from Homosexual scientists.

From the 1991 Hypothalamus (Brain) Study, Simon LeVay, who self-identifies as gay, said: “It’s important to stress what I didn’t find. I did not prove that homosexuality is genetic, or find a genetic cause for being gay. I didn’t show that gay men are born that way, the most common mistake people make in interpreting my work. Nor did I locate a gay center in the brain.”

• And from the 1991 Twins Study, Richard Pillard – also a gay man – admits: “Although male and female homosexuality appear to be at least somewhat heritable, environment must also be of considerable importance in their origins.”

• And from the 1993 X Chromosome Study, Dean Hamer – also a gay man – said: “…environmental factors play a role. There is not a single master gene that makes people gay…I don’t think we will ever be able to predict who will be gay.”

And more proof that people choose to be or not to be.

Even in the secular cultural arena we see evidence of well-known people who have clearly changed their sexual orientation. Examples of formerly gay-identified celebrities who reportedly have become involved in relationships with people of the opposite gender include actors Anne Heche and Julie Cypher. Apparently, the reality that people can change their sexual identity isn’t just a right-wing Christian thing.

Clearly, pro-homosexual advocates and their allies aren’t dealing with all the evidence in their insistence that people are “born gay” and cannot change.

I think your wrong.
edit on 4-7-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:48 PM
a reply to: DarknStormy

Once again we have a thread on homosexuality where I need to explain the basics of behavior genetics. Based off common differences in physiology between homosexuals and heterosexuals we can safely say there is a genetic component. However, as with almost all behaviors there is also an environmental component. This doesn't mean the person is making a choice.

Genetics predispose a person to a certain behavior and the environment determines whether or not a behavior triggers. The more genes a person has predisposing them to a behavior the less environmental stimuli is required for the behavior to manifest. If a person has many genes predisposing them to homosexuality the environmental stimuli could be something as slight as Ph balance in the womb. If they have very few genes predisposing them to the behavior it could've triggered by a childhood where the father was absent and they were molested by a male role model. At the end though they are not making a choice. They are simply acting on a behavior predisposed by their genes that has been triggered by environmental stimuli.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:53 PM
a reply to: Xcalibur254

So if I get hit by a car and never cross a road again for the rest of my life, I am not choosing to do that?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:56 PM

originally posted by: DarknStormy
a reply to: Cuervo

No, you support Homosexuals and Christianity doesn't.. The math is pretty easy.

You're still missing the point. "Religious" doesn't mean "Christian".

True story.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:58 PM

originally posted by: Lysergic
God money we'll do anything for you.

God money just tell me what to do.

God money nail me up against the wall.

God money don't want everything he wants it all.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:01 PM

originally posted by: Cuervo

You're still missing the point. "Religious" doesn't mean "Christian".

True story.

I know that, If you swap those highlighted words around it makes sense also.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:26 PM
a reply to: [post=18107741]

That's a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Fears and phobias are pretty much in constant flux. Sexuality on the other hand is an ingrained personality trait. That said, the person hit by the car may never make a conscious decision not to cross the street. They may try to cross the street only to be overcome by a severe physiological response that prevents them.
edit on 7/4/2014 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:03 PM
I can't see what difference it makes whether sexuality and coupling is "a choice" or not.

I am an adult American. I can love anyone I choose, live with another competent adult, $&#@ another competent adult, hold hands with them, adopt kids with them, buy property with them, give them power of attorney or whatever the hell I want to do with them.

The only real time that "choice" seems to enter into the equation at this point is in regard to the religious belief that doing any of the above with a person of my own gender is "sinful."

Frankly, why would I care? Some believe that eating pork is sinful. or that having a beard is or isn't or long hair or masturbation or shrimp or drinking alcohol or ... whatever.

I am not ruled by anyone's religion. I think they're all seriously deluded.

Sexuality is not a choice, but being totally free of religious BS about it is.

What's the difference?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:09 PM
If you claim that "there are no homosexual Christians or Muslims", or there are none of those who would tolerate/accept homosexuality you are INSULTING Christians. This would even include me (since "on paper" I am still catholic) and many other Christians who WELL differ with your opinion..oh heck...even the pope would likely want to have a word with you I am quite sure.

I am getting very annoyed by fundamentalists and other people like you who think they're above anyone else with their very own morale view. Claiming that Christians cannot be homosexual, denying people a belief because of their sexual preferences etc. or even denying people tolerance/acceptance is nothing but preposterous.

"Christianity" is NOT defined by a few with extremist opinions like you have. Realize that it's YOU who is in the minority here and that a majority of Christians don't share your views.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:51 PM
... and who would have thought that a page sponsored by the hate-group "Focus on Family" would provide a balanced, unbiased or scientific view on the matter? LOL.

US Senator Catches Anti-Gay Witness Misrepresenting Study Results

Dobson of Focus on the Family Manipulates Study Data

Dobson's FOF Group Distorts Research Data

in response to : DarknStormy

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:52 PM
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

I'm not a fundamentalist Christian, Too be honest with you I think Christianity is the biggest load of bs on the planet. But let's use the teachings as an example about a few of the things you mentioned.

I'm insulting Christians? Christians are insulting the Bible... If you don't like what it says, then don't proclaim to be a Christian and find something else to have a cry about.

even the pope would likely want to have a word with you I am quite sure

Great because I would have a question for him also. I would ask him if he could tell me what this part of the Bible is speaking about.

Now the spirit expressingly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 1 Tim 4;1-3

Obviously he knows all about the marriage part and wouldn't have an issue answering.

"Christianity" is NOT defined by a few with extremist opinions like you have. Realize that it's YOU who is in the minority here and that a majority of Christians don't share your views.

The majority of Christians from what I have seen are going to hell if that place exists.. Biggest bunch of hypocrites on the planet. The truth is your very own religion is too hardcore for you, weak people. But you just keep practicing the Christianity you think is acceptable, its called a counterfeit.. I can see straight through you liars.

The Bible denounces any action which is considered transgressing the religious Laws. What you are saying is that the majority of Christians believe there version is superior to the version told in the Bible. Well, it ends bad for you people if The Bible is true. The f**king Pope, give me a break
edit on 4-7-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:32 PM
Can't believe I'm going to have to defend Pope Francis and garden-variety Christianity here, but ... anyone who wants to insist on what the Book has to say on these issues (NIV translation used for the most part):

On celibacy ...

Matthew 19: 11-12

11 But He said to them, “All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given: 12 For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother’s womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it.”

1 Corinthians 7: 37

37 But the man who has settled the matter in his own mind, who is under no compulsion but has control over his own will, and who has made up his mind not to marry the virgin—this man also does the right thing.

On the end of domination of "the Law"

Romans 6:14

For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

Romans 8:1-4

8 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Galatians 5:4-6, 18

4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit we eagerly await by faith the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

So, uh, yeah. /gargles

Celibacy is definitely suggested in the Bible, and, kinda the whole point of the Jesus thing is that the law doesn't apply to those who are "in Jesus."

Which is all still hooey to me ... but there you have what the Book actually says.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 05:11 PM
a reply to: Gryphon66

Did you read around those verses? You do realise that they are speaking about marriage? And with that, marriage to a woman? You haven't proven anything, you have just selected bits and pieces to suit yourself. Go back and read the verses around the ones you quoted.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:35 PM
The "Bible only means what it says when it suits my purposes and you don't understand it or you're out of context" defense only get's pulled out when there's no more argument to be made in the face of the facts.

The verse from Matthew directly addresses celibacy as opposed to marriage.

The other verses from the Pauline letters address the significance of "Law."

For the record, I've read the Bible in six translations multiple times; I'm well aware of what it says and doesn't say.

The fact that it's self-contradictory fable and mythology is only a problem for those who believe otherwise.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 07:38 PM
a reply to: DarknStormy

I Agree.

Claiming people are born gay is attempting to justify sin.

Using that rationale, people such as liars, hypocrites, thieves, child molesters and cannibals could also claim they "were born that way."

They have in the past widely promoted supposed scientifc studies that prove the "gay gene" only later found to be fraudulent.

This is nothing but agenda driven propaganda.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 08:36 PM
I would invite anyone to post links to any real scientific studies which have shown that homosexuality is not innate and related to a range of "causes" such as genetics, birth order, in vitro environment, brain structure and chemistry, etc. Please post links to the evidence that "all these studies have been debunked," stop making the claim, OR, admit that you're spouting your BELIEFS rather than EVIDENCE.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 08:44 PM

I know that you got the memo! The Supreme Court just legalized discrimination! And, they ruled that facts don't matter! Some Christians will never never reconcile science and superstition.

And Hey, if corporations can legally impinge their "religious" views on their employees, why shouldn't every other religious bigot feel especially empowered too?

edit on 5-7-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 08:51 PM

The part in Matthew is explaining marriage and divorce.. That's not my opinion, that's what's in front of me.. I'm reading it right now.

The part in Corinthians is surrounded by marriage...

The Romans part has more meaning than the verse you threw up.. This is right before your quoted verse.

Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in it's lusts

In the other Romans quote, you left a bit out of the opening verse. Where did the below go?

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit

In other words, people who are in Jesus Christ walk according to the religious teachings and not the sensual world.
edit on 5-7-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 09:02 PM
a reply to: Murgatroid

When it comes down to it, Homosexuality is not promoted in religion... I can't believe people think that we are the only point in history that has/is going through this issue. One thing I have noticed is that most civilisations which travel down these types of roads end up smacked off the face of the planet for some reason.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 09:12 PM

originally posted by: olaru12

Highland Baptist Church Pastor Joe Phelps said on Wednesday that his church would marry Bannister and Carr in its first same-sex wedding ceremony next May.

“It takes courage to step out into the unknown,” Phelps pointed out to The Courier-Journal. “It’s taking us courage to be one of the first churches to do this.”

Well isn't this interesting? A Baptist church marrying two gay guys!

I predict this will set off a firestorm of protest and condemnation from the far right Christian community, the likes of which, we have never seen.

Courage indeed pastor Phelps!!

Courage? No. Courage is standing up for God's principles, not jumping on the world's bandwagon of depravity. This is not courage but cowardice. Unless this Pastor repents he will be guilty of leading a multitude to the judgment.

It's hip for so called Christians to be OK with homosexuality. It does not take courage to go with the grain of the world.

But what does God say?

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever."

True courage is to tell homosexuals that their sin is an abomination in the eyes of a Holy and Righteous God, but that there is a cure for their sin, for any sin, be it adultery, gluttony, pride, gossip, murder, and so on. That cure is the Blood of the Lamb, the Sacrifice of Christ, the ONLY Way, Truth, and Life Eternal.

The reason Homosexuality is being accepted by more and more so called Christians is because they are NOT Christians.

Notice what Paul says regarding Christians, and this applies especially in the last days.

"3 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away." 2 Timothy 3

These are behaviors one does not expect in those who profess Christianity, but they are becoming more popular because true Christians are fewer and far between.

Do not be fooled. No true Christian is OK with ANY sin. If you believe this pastor you are following a blind man, and both you and him will fall into the ditch.

new topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>