It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'n' word

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Scotscorps84

serious question to the word police. how come hispanics can use it?

I wouldn't consider them Hispanic people...I would consider them ignorant foolish people.(ignorance has no race)
They make good Hispanic people look bad by acting the way they are acting.
The ghetto is all about hoods "representing"
How bout representing in a positive fashion instead of an ignorant one.

Same when black people use it....they are making good people look bad and are not helping solve any real issue by doing so.

Dialogue solves issues and if people are too politically correct to openly talk about it...we all lose.
I see the OP's point about this though and i always say.....your taboos define what your weaknesses really are.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
To call it the "N Word" is simply ridiculous. Use it or don't use it. To ban a word is simply dumb. Maybe vilify the people that use it.

In any "hood" "They" toss that word about freely, I refuse to not use a word that is still in use by those that wish to ban it.

Other words to ban as well.

Honky will now become the "H Word"
Cracker will now become the "C Word" (although that may require serious modification due to the "C word" also being a bit of an issue for most women).

If "They" want racism to stop it begins in their own backyards. No more Black Comedy Jam, No more JET magazine, No more Black Entertainment Channel, No more Black History Month.

It is a one way street with racism these days as some would like to think it is the White people that are the most racist in the USA. I submit it may just be the opposite.......

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
a reply to: Scotscorps84

serious question to the word police. how come hispanics can use it?

I wouldn't consider them Hispanic people...I would consider them ignorant foolish people.(ignorance has no race)
They make good Hispanic people look bad by acting the way they are acting.
The ghetto is all about hoods "representing"
How bout representing in a positive fashion instead of an ignorant one.

Same when black people use it....they are making good people look bad and are not helping solve any real issue by doing so.

Dialogue solves issues and if people are too politically correct to openly talk about it...we all lose.
I see the OP's point about this though and i always say.....your taboos define what your weaknesses really are.

oh i can certainly agree with you, i think the taboos and unwritten and unsaid rules around it are so ridiculous convoluted and hypocritical it is unreal. Not because I really wish to say it either or defend others rights to say it. I've said before on here it is the interpretation of the person speaking, and of the listener that make a word offensive.

Here in Scotland we like to use the word C*NT we use it in the same areas that you may hear the n word spoken, as a casual term of endearment or as a put down and derogatory term.

ie
aye your no a bad .......
see that ....... i don't like him
sayin? ya .......
i was hangin around with a bunch of ........s

alot of people dont like the C word either, you need to know your audience and setting.
Fine for work use, maybe with friends, never in a shop or a restaurant or at a family do

same sh*t different laxative

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
What Nipples?

I say it quite often... it's a nice word, a fun word.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons
That is a good comparison. But of course, wop is never censored like the n-word.

And I have not seen Italians demand an end to doo-wop or anyone being charged with a hate crime for using wop in any form.

Somehow your relatives were able to overcome the name calling and move on.

edit on 3-7-2014 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream
I seen mixed hispanics use it... but if normal hispanics are using it, im sure the effect wont be too much as compared to a caucasian using it.

Unless they are "white hispanics" like George Zimmerman.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
a reply to: WeRpeons
demand an end to doo-wop

Now I'm offended! Don't even joke about a thing like that.

Doo Wop Forever!

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Sorry, I misunderstood,

I thought we we're going to discuss Narwhals...

They are an interesting subject, you should make a thread about the horny little buggers...

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I'm going to skip the main discussion, but in response to the poster who thought the word had something to do with a Greek word relating to death, may I suggest a more plausible alternative?

Negro (n.)
"member of a black-skinned race of Africa," 1550s, from Spanish or Portuguese negro "black," from Latin nigrum (nominative niger) "black, dark, sable, dusky,"

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The word is in my vocabulary. I rarely use it, and it is not race specific. I have only used it towards people who made me angry due to their completely unacceptable behavior. Telling me I can't say a word because I'm white is racist. Context is everything. I pretty much agree with Louis CK.
There are some curse words in the video. If that is a problem you may want to just skip it.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
"If "They" want racism to stop it begins in their own backyards. "

It doesn't work that way. And WTF is "Black Comedy Jam"?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I use it on the daily because it's funny. Grow up and take away it's power already.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Oh I get it... if you say "I dont agree with the word" you get x amount of stars lol...

right... I guess I'm suppose to say I dont agree with the word 'n-word' so I get the favor of the common folk right? Well... I dont need videos, black stand ups, white stand ups (as much as I like louis CK) to tell me its right or wrong to use it or not to use it... I dont need blacks nor whites to tell me either. Just use it if you like it.

As for me, well I just dont use it... but thats just because I just dont use it. Yep - thats my reason. As simple as that. I think I use something equivalent in my language but it doesnt quite mean the same think... it just mean "black" not as in "negro" because since we were big dogs in slave trading back then, I still think its better to call someone black then to call someone a "negro" because a "negro" was the equivalent of a spec tag ... like in "negro xx feet tall xxx weight" ... never "black". So... I'll just keep calling them black.

But the funny thing is the, what you call "n-word" has been making its way into europe and africa where people call themselves nigga and all that crap... so... who am I or you to judge?

Well... too bad that word exists in the dictionary so.... I guess its free to use, no matter how many stars you get in here (or not lol)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I am old enough to be 'confused' ........

# Growing up it was considered 'rude' to use the word 'black' instead the
word was either 'negro' or 'coloured.' I never found the word 'coloured' quite
fitted the bill as there are many colours. There is a small black seed called
'niger' and I was under the impression that that was where the 'n' word
originated?

# Another word I grew up with was 'crippled' to describe a condition of an
incapability .... then one day I woke up to find that I shouldn't use that
word it was unacceptable and the 'new' crippled was 'disabled'
The condition hadn't changed ... just what it was called!

# I lived in India up till 1947 and the main basic religions were 'Hindu's' and
'Mohammedan's' Years later talking among friends about our time in India
I suddenly realised that Mohammedan's was incorrect it was now 'Muslims???

# I realise it is considered offensive to use the term 'Paki' but why? it refers
to someone who originates from 'Pakistan' (incidentally a country that did not
exist prior to 1947) the British are often referred to as 'Brits' .... I don't think
the British find that offensive? Its a habit we all seem to have ... shortening
words no offence intended. Its only goingto get worse now with texting ...
.Lol!! omg did I just say that? Lol

And so on.... I could go on but as I said .... I am confused!!

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeChakra
I grew up in the Bronx in NY and we used it liberally. Black, or not black.

"Shut up, nigga."

"Nigga you crazy.."

or whatever else.

Even in NYC, people use it a lot less now.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
There are really two "n" words. The first is the more traditional racial epithet that has historically been used to emasculate, insult, and dehumanize blacks. This word, I believe, is still the most powerfully destructive word in the English language.
The second "n" word has virtually no racial animus, and is used as an endearment or a mild insult, much like "MF".
This word is understood or assumed to totally lack a racial context. Its potency is comparable to a time bomb with the wires cut. This is the word that Chris Rock uses on stage. Suppose that I as a white man followed his act, and said something like "What's up with these 'n's?" I would clearly be using the first "n" word, and I would richly deserve the tsunami of condemnation that would follow.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeChakra

Nigger is a noun in the English language and originated as a neutral term referring to black people.

Its description/meaning has been perverted to be associated with a derogatory depiction of coloured people.

That being said Nigger is a word and context is responsible for its specific meaning depending on situation.

Its not there word or our word, simply a word, and should be treated as such.

edit on 6-7-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join