It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany approves first ever national minimum wage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

The German Parliament has approved the introduction of the country's first national minimum wage, which will guarantee most workers in Europe's biggest economy at least 8.50 euros ($11.60) per hour starting next year.

Merkel's conservatives have gone along with the plan unenthusiastically; for decades, determining wages in Germany has been a matter almost entirely for unions and employers. Under-18s will be exempted, as will the long-term unemployed in the first six months after they return to work.

Lawmakers voted 535-5 with 61 abstentions in favor of the minimum wage on Thursday.

abcnews.go.com...
www.bbc.com...

Personally, I liked this decision, a step forward. I do not know Germany economy well enough, but I doubt it would have a significant impact on it. As far as I have spoken with people from there, nearly every job already pays more, especially in sectors where unions are strong. Despite it being a more controversial decision, in the parliament the vote was pretty unanimous.
edit on 3-7-2014 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I don't agree with the idea of a 'minimum wage' in general, but it is Germany and they can do what they want. The amount a person pays for workers is usually tied to the quality of workers they want to attract. I pay a high wage to my people to keep them from taking a job somewhere else. I don't think wages need to be mandated by Government.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I don't agree with the idea of a 'minimum wage' in general, but it is Germany and they can do what they want. The amount a person pays for workers is usually tied to the quality of workers they want to attract. I pay a high wage to my people to keep them from taking a job somewhere else. I don't think wages need to be mandated by Government.

it is tied to the least amount the employer can pay to get employees to work...in Vietnam, if he can pay 25 cents an hour and people will come to work, that is what he will pay. if not enough people will work for that, the employer raises the pay up to a wage that will make them come to work. this is why all those jobs went overseas, companies don't give a crap about being "fair"...it's the bottom line.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
" Germany approves first ever national minimum wage "

What?

With all we keep hearing about how great things are over there, I just assumed a minimum wage was in place for decades.

What happened to make this necessary all of a sudden ?

Very odd.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I think due to the cost of living in Germany 12 bucks there would be like 5 or 6 bucks here in minimum wages. BTW what job in Germany actually pays that low? Any Germans on this thread?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
I think due to the cost of living in Germany 12 bucks there would be like 5 or 6 bucks here in minimum wages. BTW what job in Germany actually pays that low? Any Germans on this thread?

There might be side jobs paying that low or many small companies which are about to crumble.
"415€ jobs" are very common, because its the tax free limit. Above that you have to pay 30-50% for insurances. The larger your company, the lower the taxes and the lower the production/administration costs. Of 80 companies known to me none survived for longer than 10 years without someone who isn't already in power by birth. In Germany about 50% of the employees in a usual company are responsible for paper work due to laws. A key is to fuse with all other companies treating everyone equal.

The minimum living costs (calculated by me) seem to be 1900€/month before substracting taxes on the workers side (a company has to pay 50% for what they sell, the buyer an extra 19% and the company has to pay an extra 15% onto the workers wage as tax). Getting a job is not that easy, so you might also require a car with which your minimum costs to live might end up at 2200€/month. Below these numbers you look too poor to get a job.
The absolute minimum is perhaps at 1400€/month, however the jobless get 1400€/month if they are ready to work for 1€/hour for any stranger at any time, no matter where. This ensures the minimum paid amount for the max work load at max quality while keeping the cattle alive and off the streets.

Usual 42 hours/week wages are at 1000-3300€/month.
Living costs less if living together.
Another thing not to forget is pension. You need to earn 3000€ now to survive with the enforced pension insurance without lucky self investment, as the 1.5% money worth loss is a lie.

Minimum wages have been part of the puppet show in Germany for decades, so they might change their mind at any time, again. Actually, we always have a few thousand politicians of different parties active at the same time, fighting on TV (and their own TV channels (only for the founder parties), which we pay).
edit on 3-7-2014 by oneoneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Everyone else in the 1st world seems to have a set minimum wage - so our politicians thought it was about time we get it too (stupid way of thinking IMO).

No one I know is even affected by this change, but I still oppose it as a matter of principle.
I agree it is pretty irrelevant though.

new topics

top topics

join