It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Bill Of Rights And Declaration Of Independence Coming To U.K. On Loan.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
These two documents are being loaned to The British Library next year for an exhibition. Just part of the close ties between our two countries.
I remember back in 1976, during the 200th anniversary celebrations of U.S. independence, Britain load the original Magna Carta document to the U.S. for display in Washington D.C.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Being "loaned" or being "re-located"?

Given recent events, I have to wonder if something is coming and they want to make sure those documents are somewhere else when it does.

~Namaste
edit on 3-7-2014 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: SonOfTheLawOfOne
Being "loaned" or being "re-located"?

Given recent events, I have to wonder if something is coming and they want to make sure those documents are somewhere else when it does.

~Namaste

I see you are thinking " outside the box"

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Keep them.

It's not like we're using them.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Keep them.

I am not having that.

You always need toilet paper.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Maybe the U.K. officials can take out their magnifying glasses and study the sections about Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press. That nonsense. And they can only hope that the British public doesn't look at those sections too closely. Carry on, ole sports, nothing to see here.
edit on 3-7-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

The 1789 bill first laid out the constitutional rights of the US people and the limits on government power.

used to be , now its " constitutional power of the US government and the limits on the citizens rights "

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I can't help but smile at the notion at how close these two nations are now, when given that if the British had gotten their hands on those documents when the ink was still wet on them, they might have been destroyed on the spot or used as evidence in treason trials.

How far we've all come.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Bad idea as could be a scheme to destroy them. If there destroyed there toast, times like this they should be under lock in USA. Sounds funny to me.

Chow

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Keep them.

Eight words which have never seen better use.

ETA: S&F for the OP. I had no idea this was going on. Hope you guys in Mother England enjoy the show. Have to admit ... the way they handle documents of such historical value ... just reading (first) on ATS gave me a bit of shock.

-Cheers
edit on 372014 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: kf5umy

As long as they keep Mr. Bean away from the display we should be OK I would think!

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Well what is it to be.
A...Go Missing
B...Burnt in a Fire
C... Heavily Blacked out when you get them back.
D...???

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Didn't they get a copy way back in the day? I mean weren't they the ones we were declaring independence from ? You'd think we would have given them something in writing so that both sides understood the intentions of said declaration. What happened to their copy? I'd be a little wary lending them ours. I don't want to hear the dog peed on it.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I do have some contacts with government and was able to get a picture of one of the documents being sent to the UK next year. No need to thank me.
But I thought it kinda of odd. . . . . .

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
Didn't they get a copy way back in the day? I mean weren't they the ones we were declaring independence from ? You'd think we would have given them something in writing so that both sides understood the intentions of said declaration. What happened to their copy? I'd be a little wary lending them ours. I don't want to hear the dog peed on it.

What ever you do, don't give it to the IRS!

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
They just want a look at that secret writing that Benjamin Franklin wrote on the back. You know the map to the national treasure.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Anything given to the IRS is a photocopy. I keep the originals. t reply to: beezzer

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Very cool... Thanks for sharing this.

An opinion peace that specifically deals with the relationship between the US and UK.

To Britain with Love

For the second time in a week, I again watched CNN with my mouth hanging wide open. Amidst the tragic history made this past week, one event took place whose unimaginable significance was unfortunately lost to most Americans. In England, with hundreds or perhaps thousands of mourners pressing the gate, Buckingham Palace played OUR national anthem instead of the time-honored Changing of the Guard.

God Bless America would have honored us greatly. America The Beautiful would have been more than enough. But England somehow chose the one song written while our two countries were at war. Most of us have forgotten, but the very night Francis Scott Key penned The Star Spangled Banner, British blood was being poured out on American soil. “The bombs bursting in air” we so proudly sing of were in fact being fired at Redcoats. Nonetheless, this is the song England upended her own tradition with to dedicate to us while we mourned. In so doing, I believe England unknowingly pierced well beyond the veil of international politics, and that this single act has healed a supernatural wound that has festered for over two centuries.

To explain, consider the Jewish “bar mitzvah.” When a boy comes age of, his family conducts a holy service in which he receives his father’s blessing. He is thus received into manhood, spiritually empowered to go out into the world bearing the family name, and expected to have great success. Similarly, when ordaining a minister or sending out a missionary, Christians “lay hands” upon the head of a new leader, imparting the spiritual authority of the church, and to signify their blessing upon the emerging ministry. That’s not what happened when America “left home” however. We broke away in rebellion to England’s authority. We actually took up arms against the “parents” who birthed us.

Yes, yes, our cause was certainly just. History has never begrudged us that. It might even be rightly argued that God was on our side. We certainly became successful enough (although less than a hundred years passed before we fell into terrible war with ourselves, which to be honest still isn’t over). Worse, we became obnoxiously drunk with our quick success. As England lost her territories over the decades, America conquered the world. Of course trade routes quickly reopened between us, and we’ve had a great economic relationship for most of the time since. Our governments have successfully worked together as well – you’d even call us allies.

But facing facts – the actual people of our countries have barely maintained a civil savagery in our attitudes toward one another. To the English, Americans are snotty brats, spoiled beyond redemption by our money, power and conveniences. Meanwhile, we disdain the English concept of royalty and tradition, and in fact, think you’re rude and stuffy. The Fourth of July, garishly celebrated as our “Independence Day,” is today commonly referred to in English slang as “good riddance day.” You’ve always viewed us as the prodigal son who ran off with the inheritance. We’ve considered you the jealous brother who got irate because the father blessed us anyway. Sure, things couldn’t be better on the economic and political fronts, but deep down… we’ve never really particularly cared for one another.

Am I being unfair here? Of course we’re the best of friends. After all, wasn’t it America that came to England’s aid in not one, but two world wars? No America, we did not. And how dare we be so pretentious to even think that? We protected our interests, and that is all. Churchill and Roosevelt worked together for years to enlist America’s aid against Hitler, to no avail. It took Pearl Harbor to get us involved. Yes, we bled and died on England’s soil this time, but not for the English, for us. Certainly not because she needed us in her darkest hour.

And now we face probably our darkest hour. But we didn’t even call, and England has already answered.

They could have sent us flowers. They could have offered an eloquent speech of condolence, or perhaps sent someone over to stand in front of the cameras with one of our leaders – the usual international stuff. Instead, the great and proud England elegantly humbled herself, abandoning a tradition more sacred than baseball, apple pie and even Mom herself will ever be to us. They took that tradition and placed it on an altar of forgiveness, which in our arrogance, we never thought even once to ask for. Then they willingly burned it - in our honor - for all the world to see. They played our song.

For all intents and purposes, England bar-mitzvahed us. She has received us as all grown up now, and has moved to make us a family again. Heaven will record this as the day that the rift caused by our violent separation was finally closed. Only it was not slick American “ingenuity,” but England, with her superior character, who won this victory before God and man.

Thank you, England. My only regret is that we were too slow – too in shock, and frankly, too unaware of what this truly meant - to grasp the significance of your sacrifice or even to respond in a proper manner. I wish the news and all the world had seen our President standing at attention, saluting you across the sea, but it just didn’t happen like that. We’re stupid that way England, and for that, we are so very sorry. But I salute you. I pray that all America will also. You’ve been so patient with us, waiting for us to grow up into mature, decent adults – the kind you’d actually want to be friends with. However, so much time has passed that we now stand shoulder to shoulder, in a way that parents and children simply cannot. We are equals, and right now we will need to cling to each other desperately IF we are to survive the challenges this war is going to bring.

Thank you, England. Weeks ago, we were merely mutually cooperating world powers. Now, your act of sacrificial love has made us brothers. May we forever mourn together when the other is mourning. May we forever rejoice as the other rejoices. And may we now and forever always leap to the other’s aid in future times of crisis, even though it may cost us dearly. You have already led us in this, not by power or might, but by example.

Thank you, England. We appreciate you, and we love you. And just in case you’ve never heard the words spoken from an upstart American –
“Long Live The Queen.”

And may God bless Great Britain.

Shortly after the 7/7 attacks in England, the US Army Band went to the British Embassy and played God Save the Queen.

We would throw ourselves under the bus to protect the other... This issue is nothing more than the UK telling the US no, as is their right as a sovereign nation, and our mother country.

Examples of how the US feels towards our cousins on the other side of the pond.

British Military arriving at Dallas-Ft. Worth Airport
[yvid]dtKX4EBM

British wounded Veterans arriving at Dallas-Ft. Worth Airport

Based on everything to date I doubt the Brits would destroy it. Sending it is the least we could do.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I should have added this link:-

www.bbc.co.uk...

The Magna Carta arrived in Boston yesterday, 2nd July. The copy sent is from Lincoln Cathedral, which is not far away from Boston Lincolnshire.

Look after it

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Keep them.

That is just a bullspit thing to say!
...so why did I star your comment?
If it hurts it's most probably true.

Onto the OP...
I'm cool with our cousins holding onto our treasure, we will need them when we rebuild.
And you limey's are some tough nuts, the treasure will be quite safe I'm sure.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join