It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Companies Using SCOTUS Ruling To Eliminate All Birth Control In Their Health Care Plans...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Well. Yes. It DID happen... (this was getting crickets elsewhere, so I am bringing it here...Mods, if this needs to be added to the other discussion or whatever, please do so, my intent was to bring attention to a new result of the law.)

Source - Justices Act In Other Health Law Mandate Cases

The Supreme Court on Tuesday confirmed that its decision a day earlier extending religious rights to closely held corporations applies broadly to the contraceptive coverage requirement in the new health care law, not just the handful of methods the justices considered in their ruling.

The justices did not comment in leaving in place lower court rulings in favor of businesses that object to covering all 20 methods of government-approved contraception.

Oklahoma-based Hobby Lobby Inc. and a Pennsylvania furniture maker won their court challenges Monday in which they refused to pay for two emergency contraceptive pills and two intrauterine devices.

Tuesday's orders apply to companies owned by Catholics who oppose all contraception. Cases involving Colorado-based Hercules Industries Inc., Illinois-based Korte & Luitjohan Contractors Inc. and Indiana-based Grote Industries Inc. were awaiting action pending resolution of the Hobby Lobby case.

So it IS being applied to ALL forms of birth control by some Catholic owned companies. I knew it was just a breath away when the ruling came down... This is, in my opinion, a more serious matter. The Five Justices on the Supreme Court are Catholics. There are a group of powerful Bishops who have been lobbying heavily behind the scenes for this as well.

peace,
AB
edit on 2-7-2014 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard and possibly expanding to outside of birth control all together

Politics More: Health Affordable Care Act Obamacare The Atlantic
The Hobby Lobby Decision Inspired Religious Groups To Ask For An Exemption From A Gay-Rights Order

www.businessinsider.com...
my personal feelings about all this aside I have to admit it's gonna be interesting how the chips fall on this as well on just how far people will go to justify or villify the decisions that are made
and well I have to admit I will find all those inconsistancies that are sure to be in their decisions quite humorous.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
the short reply is that finally...there is some semblance of awareness that Religious oriented appeals actually have status & merit...

instead of everything Muslim being given a elevated status ...above any other (western) spiritual worldview..
but just wait till Pelosi gets her teeth into the SCOTUS decision...all hell fire will make the 4th of July fireworks a tame thing

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Maybe time to clarify the SCOTUS ruling.

Hobby Lobby objected to 4 abortion related items.

The Court said their ruling applies to all contraceptives.

I think this is correct?

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio
the short reply is that finally...there is some semblance of awareness that Religious oriented appeals actually have status & merit...

instead of everything Muslim being given a elevated status ...above any other (western) spiritual worldview..
but just wait till Pelosi gets her teeth into the SCOTUS decision...all hell fire will make the 4th of July fireworks a tame thing

And that introduces yet another dilemma for the Democrats.

Pelosi is a Catholic. So is Joe Biden. And so are many Democrat Senators and Congressmen.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Hi xuenchen!

Yes. That is correct. And now there are Catholic businesses who are, due to the ruling being for the entire Mandate, using it to eliminate all birth control coverage for their employees because they have a religious objection to all birth control.

- AB

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Excellent news.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Looks like "Obama.Care" is seeing the "Second.Coming".

The SCOTUS ruling sure puts a dent in the whole law now

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Looks like "Obama.Care" is seeing the "Second.Coming".

The SCOTUS ruling sure puts a dent in the whole law now

It's laughable and folks are unraveling right now with this news. I knew Hobby Lobby was going to cause a domino effect and I was really hoping I was right. IMO ALL of Obamacare is unconstitutional... So if it has to be dismantled piece by atrocious piece, I plan on watching and enjoying every second of it.

Folks are coming unhinged LITERALLY since yesterday, angry at everyone BUT Obama who made promises he could not possibly hope to keep.

JMO as usual... I am sure MANY do not agree with it.

Stick a fork in it. It's done.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I think that, in part if not in whole, that was the idea - kill "Obamacare" with the Death of a 1000 cuts.

I really wish the right would come up with an awesome way to take care of the problems that the ACA attempts to address, such as pre-existing conditions, the "health care gap" for younger people, etc. I really do. Except they did, and it looked a lot like the ACA. Mitt Romney's plan. That is the history of it...

This is not really an ACA discussion, though, Xuenchen.

As a woman, and not someone who is a Catholic, I would gladly quit my job under these circumstances and go somewhere I was not dictated to by these beliefs, IF I were able to. I sincerely hope that all those who disagree with this are able to find another job. Thankfully, I am not in that situation. I know I couldn't simply quit my current job. I would have to suck it up and deal with their religious beliefs and find some other means of being responsible for my family in regards to not bringing in another child to my marriage.

This is one of those extremely polarizing situations where someone has to feel they have really and truly lost. I'm guessing a backlash will be seen as things continue to unfold...

Thanks for dropping by the thread!

- AB

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I fairness, people came "unhinged" over the passing of the ACA as well. Now they are celebrating what they feel is 1) a Win against Obamacare and its mandates, and , 2) the ability of a Corporation to limit healthcare options for women...wait, not that one... um... 2! the religious freedom of Corporations!! Lol!

I'm being playful here - but it will be a very serious matter to those who cannot afford the care they need now, due to this ruling. And Title X does not have enough funding to cover all this, really, does it? Hm. I honestly don't know...

peace,
AB

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I fairness, people came "unhinged" over the passing of the ACA as well. Now they are celebrating what they feel is 1) a Win against Obamacare and its mandates, and , 2) the ability of a Corporation to limit healthcare options for women...wait, not that one... um... 2! the religious freedom of Corporations!! Lol!

I'm being playful here - but it will be a very serious matter to those who cannot afford the care they need now, due to this ruling. And Title X does not have enough funding to cover all this, really, does it? Hm. I honestly don't know...

peace,
AB

They did. I was damn near one of them.

With the post you made above this one... I understand. I do. I currently do not have insurance because I can not afford it. The Obamacare premiums were way higher than what I could have gotten covered for to begin with. I feel EVERYBODY'S pain. I wish there was a better way, but I do not feel Obamacare is that better way. Not for me and not for tons of other folks that it was supposed to help.

I celebrate these small victories only because I do not think Obamacare is near anything he promised to anybody. One person here and there is not a whole nation.

I don't know what the answer is honestly. I do not want to see sick people not get care. I don't want children to be sick or anything like that. I know all too well what it feels like to be sick and not be able to go to the doctor until it's death at the door.

There has got to be a better way. For all of us.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio

What are you talking about? Given an elevated status by ... ? Please point to an example.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Who'd have thunk - company's are religious persons.

Seriously, the ruling appiies to 'closely held' company's. Now 'closely held' companies (about 9 out of 10 companies!!!) are defined as:

Has more than 50% of the value of its outstanding stock owned (directly or indirectly) by 5 or fewer individuals at any time during the last half of the tax year;

www.irs.gov...&-Resources/Tools-&-FAQs/FAQs-for-Individuals/Frequently-Asked-Tax-Questions-&-Answers/Small-Business,-Self-Employed,-Other-Bu siness/Entities/Entities-5

Just because a company is publically traded doesn't mean it isn't "closely held".

These are not family run companies the decsision is refering to.

In fact, now that corporations have religious rights, they can pay women/blacks less because their holy book says so and other mischief. In fact, they could require abortion for it's employees (as Scientology - a religion and business) does for some of it's employees).

The key quotes from the discenting view by Justice Ginsberg can be read here:

www.motherjones.com...

Then there is the hypocrisy (of Hobby Lobby, not the Amish Company) of providing contraceptive care without complaint until the ACA (Affordable Care Act) took effect.

See: www.huffingtonpost.com...

for their dealings with the Chinese to supply their products.

Then there are thier investments in companys that manufacture and profit from the very drugs and devises they are demonizing.

q13fox.com...

Hobby Lobby’s founders have made it clear that any abortion and certain contraceptives are unacceptable in their eyes, yet the company’s 401(k) plan has millions of dollars invested in funds that own the companies that make birth control methods including Plan B, the so-called “morning after” drug.

Read more: q13fox.com...

IT's a corporatist stunt. The Supreme Court over turned their own precendent and all reasonable adherence to the Constitution.

Happy 4th of July.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I really wish the right would come up with an awesome way to take care of the problems that the ACA attempts to address

Is that a joke? The same Right that watched the medical industry bankrupt millions of people and responded by making it harder to declare bankruptcy?

The same Right that had no problem with the health insurance raising rates 8% a year every year, but now pretend they're worried about healthcare affordability?

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

In fact, now that corporations have religious rights, they can pay women/blacks less because their holy book says so and other mischief. In fact, they could require abortion for it's employees (as Scientology - a religion and business) does for some of it's employees).

While this SCOTUS ruling does open doors, you must remember some things are already illegal and/or criminal by other laws.

Flying off the handle won't solve the problems.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

The Supreme Court over turned their own precendent and all reasonable adherence to the Constitution.

Except it was the government that originally infringed on religious freedom.

They struck the first blow on the Gordian Knot.

The "original" religious exemptions were clever. They defined them for non-profits only.

Clearly discriminatory against everybody else.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I agree that it is good to not jump to conclusions that the law has clearly stated are, at least currently, limited. That can and will be challenged I imagine and then they will be forced to defend those limits.

The law is indeed limited to birth control, which is odd, isn't it? Except that it comes from a Supreme Court that has been directly influenced by their own faith and ideals and so they have legislated their faith into law? How can they limit it now that it is a done deal? Other health related objections, such as having ANY medical insurance for employees by people who believe only in Faith Healing or something - how are these beliefs not as legitimate as someone else's closely held belief? Frankly, it is mystifying to me. Do you have an opinion on that?

- AB

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The catholics and protestants won't rest until everyone in America has ten kids and is poor as dirt.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
The catholics and protestants won't rest until everyone in America has ten kids and is poor as dirt.

They don't have far to go before they can rest then, eh? Add what they're bussing in, and the trip to a rest becomes even shorter.

ETA - That I have never had a job that has covered birth control. I have one child and have been married for over 17 years. It is possible to not get pregnant without government intervention. Matter of fact, I think there would be a lot less pregnancies if government refused to intervene.
edit on 7/2/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join