It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MOVIE - GOD IS NOT DEAD

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

originally posted by: Akragon

a reply to: AfterInfinity

Sorry i can't help someone who has no interest in God... or belief in him...

You've found your own answers... so why bother with mine right?

Except answers like yours are affecting lives other than your own.

Well its good to know i have an affect on people...

Though honestly, if people can handle reading words on a forum... they probably shouldn't be here...

As though it's just on the forum, and not on street corners and in homes and schools and government and politics and economy and basically everywhere.

Actually no its not... At least not from me...

I don't preach my beliefs... I let them shine through in my life through action...

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale
a reply to: Akragon

My answer is that those poor souls landed themselves in their situation through what they did in past lives... Sometimes its hard to wrap ones head around but its he only logical answer

Maybe past lives play part in some and maybe in others because our lives are all interconnected the situations or experience faced are for those around us to learn from our suffering.

So many ask why does God allow a small child to die in accident or worse be murdered by a mad man,

The death of the child is for the ones that are left behind that the experience affects the most and its for them to either gain understanding and use that for the positive or to allow the darkness to overcome us because we cant fight the situation and give in and fail GODs test of having us experience such horror and be able to move forward.

again, i find that past lives is the only real answer to suffering...

We've all lived many lives... some not so great, and some utterly disgusting... But everything comes around eventually in this life or the next...

Those that live these horrible lives, and take from everyone... yet seem to get away with it will be in for a shock eventually... They will get exactly what they deserve....

And when they pass, and ask why said life was so bad.... they will also get their answer...

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Though honestly, if people can handle reading words on a forum... they probably shouldn't be here...

As though it's just on the forum, and not on street corners and in homes and schools and government and politics and economy and basically everywhere.

OK so start a rant thread and let us and those that want to discuss the movie that this thread is about.

I was just looking at the reviews for this movie, and it confirmed my suspicions. Even Christians hated it.

"I'm a Christian and just watched the movie last night. I have to tell you that this is NOT a good movie, at all. The only thing that was good about it was some of the acting and cinematography. The movie is so stereotypical, one-sided, and offensive that it will push many away from the gospel, which is not what any supposed Christian movie should be doing. I've talked to many non-Christians who have watched this film, and this is exactly what it's doing."

"Atheists are portrayed as evil beings who "hate god" and are determined to convert Christians. Actually, atheists do not "hate" god; god is simply something they don't believe exists."

"1st) Every character in this movie that was not Christian was either portrayed as an idiot (the reporter), a terrible person (the boyfriend), an abusive father (the Muslim), or a God hater (the atheist professor).

2nd) The atheists professor was apparently only atheist because he was hurt over his mothers death and blamed God. While I will admit this is probably the case for some atheists it is not the majority. Further, being atheist does not mean you hate Christianity or would ever require students to sign an agreement that "God is dead." Not to mention this character is hit by a car at which point the Pastor in the movie runs to him telling him this is his last chance to accept Jesus as his lord and Savior.

3rd) the LONE Muslim man in the movie is a control freak dad who ends up slapping around his daughter when he finds out she is listening to the bible on tape. I know plenty of Muslims that are very accepting people and this portrayal only enforces stereotypes that are often wildly inaccurate.

4th) The movie makes a point that without God nothing matters and you can't have morals and everything is permissible. It further implies that without God there is no way to have hope in life. This notion is extremely ignorant and one that any logical Christian would reject.

5th) The movie ends with a list of court cases proclaiming them as examples of this type of situation, but fails to give any detailed information. I expect that upon further investigation of these cases I will find them to be very very different. I will write in later once i research them."

I got these from IMDB, in case anyone is interested in checking them out. I find it interesting that Christians would think so poorly of a Christian film.
edit on 2-7-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Actually no its not... At least not from me...

I don't preach my beliefs... I let them shine through in my life through action...

GREAT ATTITUDE!

If everyone had this attitude the world would be a better place.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
To be a bit fare ,I would think that man could feed the world if they were not so hell bent on trying to control it .I can think of the billions wasted on so many weapons of mass destruction and even the billions wasted on claiming that man is responsible for climate change .Tons of waste and destruction .You want to suggest that God should intervene ? No problem because He assures us that He is going to do that ,and every mouth will be shut in that day . a reply to: AfterInfinity

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

God bless and protect you and your family.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I saw the movie. It is really good and I think even handed. That is my opinion but my world view is not the same as the world view of an atheist who would see it quite differently.

However, I don't think any atheist would go to see it, just the title threatens their atheism, and people who feel threatened won't open their minds to enjoy the movie. They would go with crossed arms and come out quite upset at having their atheism questioned by a movie.

Atheists generally feel that hollywood does not have a right to make a movie that doesn't make fun of or deride religion in the name of freedom from religion;

which doesn't exist, it is freedom of religion but most atheists generally don't know that.

Atheists think Hollywood is an extension of government, which it really is most of the time these days

a film that deals in a manner that is friendly to believers and challenges atheism would be

too much of a threat to their belief system (or non-belief system if you prefer to call it that)

one an atheist could not deal with and therefore would not go see.

If you haven't seen the movie you should not comment. I would not allow my friends to comment on Harry Potter if they hadn't read the books when Christians had their panties in a wad over it. I think that one should not criticize any movie you haven't seen or any book you haven't read, because your criticism is based on the biased toward your world view things you hear about it, which may or may not be accurate.

edit on 2-7-2014 by grandmakdw because: addition

edit on 2-7-2014 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

OK so start a rant thread and let us and those that want to discuss the movie that this thread is about.

I agree, this thread is supposed to be about the movie, not ones blind hatred of Christianity. That is for the rant forum.

If you hate Christianity, start a thread about it and debate those who want to talk about it all you want.

Just stay on topic.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I've heard that the people was unworthy for God to remain among them and to rule among them, so he raises one up... God never dies..

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
I saw the movie. It is really good and I think even handed. That is my opinion but my world view is not the same as the world view of an atheist who would see it quite differently.

However, I don't think any atheist would go to see it, just the title threatens their atheism, and people who feel threatened won't open their minds to enjoy the movie. They would go with crossed arms and come out quite upset at having their atheism questioned by a movie.

Atheists generally feel that hollywood does not have a right to make a movie that doesn't make fun of or deride religion in the name of freedom from religion;

which doesn't exist, it is freedom of religion but most atheists generally don't know that.

Atheists think Hollywood is an extension of government, which it really is most of the time these days

a film that deals in a manner that is friendly to believers and challenges atheism would be

too much of a threat to their belief system (or non-belief system if you prefer to call it that)

one an atheist could not deal with and therefore would not go see.

If you haven't seen the movie you should not comment. I would not allow my friends to comment on Harry Potter if they hadn't read the books when Christians had their panties in a wad over it. I think that one should not criticize any movie you haven't seen or any book you haven't read, because your criticism is based on the biased toward your world view things you hear about it, which may or may not be accurate.

I went through the first three pages of reviews. Not a single one that had anything good to say about the movie. Not even the Christians approved (most were downright appalled) which is really saying something, given that the entire thing was engineered to pander to Christians at the expense of all other cultures.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

You seem to know an awful lot about how all Atheists think. Do you have any facts to back up your statements?

1. The title of the film threatens nothing. Saying "God is not Dead" means nothing to an Atheist. Dead or alive, Atheists do not believe in God or multiple gods. Claiming this fictional character is not dead does not bring any evidence, so it has zero effect. Similar to if I was to say "Batman is not dead"

2. I am an Atheist and I have no such thoughts or feelings. Hollywood can make whatever movies they want as long as they have funding. "Noah" made a ton of money and had an Atheist director, "Passion of the Christ" did pretty well also, so IDK where you are getting your info.

3. People of all faiths, or lack of faith, will decide not to watch thousands of movies over their lifetime. Its not a matter of not being able to "deal" with the films, its a matter of the film not being of interest to the person. I didn't go see the new Transformers movie, not because I couldn't "deal" with it, but because it looks dumb to me. A movie about religious stereotypes that, judging by the reviews, paints everyone as evil except for the perfect Christian, is not a movie that interests me and therefore i will not be going out of my way to see it.

At the end of the day, with or without this movie, we are left with exactly the same amount of evidence for a God or gods that we had yesterday. Until evidence is presented, nothing will change for myself or any Atheists i know. Guilt trips and stereotypical assumptions do nothing to help the Christian cause and in reality work against the religion more so than they help.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx

"Passion of the Christ" did pretty well also,

I'm still waiting for the sequel.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

I agree, this thread is supposed to be about the movie, not ones blind hatred of Christianity. That is for the rant forum.

If you hate Christianity, start a thread about it and debate those who want to talk about it all you want.

Just stay on topic.

Not hatred, and most certainly not blind. I gather most of those reviewers, if not all, had eyes to see and ears to hear. And they had a fair bit to say about both. Do you want a link so you can read them?

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Depends on your definition of god. The energy/chi/light from the higher levels is on at least.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle
Depends on your definition of god. The energy/chi/light from the higher levels is on at least.

Have you seen the movie?

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
To be a bit fare ,I would think that man could feed the world if they were not so hell bent on trying to control it .I can think of the billions wasted on so many weapons of mass destruction and even the billions wasted on claiming that man is responsible for climate change .Tons of waste and destruction .You want to suggest that God should intervene ? No problem because He assures us that He is going to do that ,and every mouth will be shut in that day . a reply to: AfterInfinity

No, people assure me he's going to do that. I've never heard those words from his lips, nor read them from his hand.

But it doesn't matter. This is about the movie, and according to reviews, the movie sucked. Big time. From the keyboards of Christians, even. When the team you're batting for wants to drag you off the field, there's a problem.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle

Have you seen the movie?

Only a trailer of it.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

If you haven't seen the movie yourself, then you can pick and choose reviews.

I've seen some movies that were panned by reviewers that I found quite good.

Reviewers generally trash movies, that is their job.

Why should I read reviews when I have seen the movie myself and made up my own mind?

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Jesuslives4u

I wouldn't bother arguing back and forth with Afterinfinity. He seems like a very creative/interesting person who we could talk to, in depth, about anything other than religion and have a wonderful conversation, but he is extremely unfamiliar with what scripture teaches. He thinks he knows; however, he exposes his scriptural ignorance on a regular basis. Anything you try to tell him (Christianity-wise) will be mocked, disregarded, or he'll just have a problem with it. Save it for the right person, and pray for him as you pray for yourself.

"Don’t give what is holy to dogs or toss your pearls before pigs, or they will trample them with their feet, turn, and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

Now in response to the OP... No, God's not dead. Don't get me wrong, I love the movie, but I disagree that all people should see it. It, like almost every Christian movie, is hokey, corny, low-budget, sappy, cheesy, etc. It isn't going to attract non-believers to the faith. It probably won't plant very many seeds in non-believers either. I'll admit that it made some very good points; however, it clearly targeted already existing Christians. We can use some of the talking points.

But no... God is very much alive and well.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
God is not dead. Free will is what causes suffering to happen, if God intervened in suffering then he would be going against his very nature because in doing so he would take away free will. God's only will is free will, we shape his will through our actions and thoughts.

You don't have a link to the movie or anything?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join