It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to save the world? Your chance to find an asteroid.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Hello everyone.
Ever wanted to save the world? Now you can, by spotting asteroids.
Asteroidzoo is now open.

We're excited to say that the citizen science project is now live at www.asteroidzoo.org
This site is the result of a partnership between the Zooniverse and Planetary Resources and asks you to help crowdsource the discovery of new Near Earth Objects (NEOs).
Discovering new asteroids close to home not only helps us to locate and track potentially dangerous, Earth-impacting, hunks of rock - but it is also the start of a journey into space to try and mine asteroids for their minerals.
To learn more visit the Asteroid Zoo science page, or just dive in at www.asteroidzoo.org. You'll be shown a set of four images in sequence, which you can view and animate in different ways, and you have to try and spot the asteroid moving between them. It's rather addictive.
If you like the Zooniverse, you can find us, and all our projects at www.zooniverse.org and on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and on the Zooniverse Blog Happy hunting!

I've had a good hour at it already, and it's very addictive.
Just follow the tutorial and you'll be a pro in minutes..
edit on 2/7/2014 by UKWO1Phot because: to make it more readable..

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
With my luck, I'll find the one that ends up being the extinction-level asteroid that they can't do anything to prevent...

...and then they name it after me

edit on 7/2/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: UKWO1Phot

Ever wanted to save the world?

Yes if it ever required saving.

Now you can, by spotting asteroids.

How is spotting asteroids going to save the world?

If you spot an asteroid that calculations show has no chance of collision with out blue planet then no real saving of the planet unless you spot what Soylent suggested and hope Bruce Willis can save the day again.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

It's supposed to be a fun title.

Who said you can't save the world? Well the population atleast.
With enough early warning you could give people a chance don't you think?

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: UKWO1Phot

It's supposed to be a fun title.

My post was meant to be a fun post.

Who said you can't save the world?

I don't know?

I assume many have said those words.

Well the population atleast. With enough early warning you could give people a chance don't you think?

How much early warning?

The population of 7 billion to be saved and the planet destroyed means we would need to find a new home hospitable to our biology and get us all over there so early warning with todays tech would need be at least few decades if not more.

This is like I said if its an ELE asteroid spotted like Soylent pointed out.

If its a smaller rock that might not devastate all the planet and humans could keep living on the planet after the destruction then yes of coarse there is a chance of helping the highest number survive but depending on how much forewarning there is and how much destruction is estimated it might be easier for the governments of the nations that the destruction might affect to keep quiet and try getting what is deemed of more value to safety than causing a chaos amongst the population as control would be lost.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

What if it's not an ELE and it's estimated to land on your city in the next couple of days?
If you spotted it, you could save all your friends.

Isn't that good enough for you?

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKWO1Phot

What if it's not an ELE and it's estimated to land on your city in the next couple of days?

i would question the size of the city cause in a couple of days there is no way your clearing a city of millions of people.just aint going to happen.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Well I've found 3 so far, so that's not bad going for a few hours work.
2 had already been detected/known about and the other I presume they let you know about when a few people have analysed it.

So maybe I'll save your town..

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKWO1Phot

My city: Melbourne, Australia

Again depending on the size of the rock, how much devastation caused and like sparky says the size of the city.

Yes millions could get out of a city in a few days in a chaos with 1000s dying in the process.

How far out to avoid the impact and the after effects depends on the mass and speed of the object so a few days might be enough to save yourself if you keep it quiet but a few days to organize a city evacuation is a joke sorry.

If I spotted it I could save all my friends?

How so?

How would I keep it to myself to save my friends when its on a website run by some organization and whats discovered is checked like you said the 3rd you found is being analyzed?

I agree its an interesting site, I hope the 3 one you found is a new discovery and you might get a chance to name the thing.

top topics

join