It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crawling In The Dark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I'm always torn between reading a book, listening to music or watching a film before I go to sleep. Most of the time, though, I find myself justifying doing none of these things but rather encouraging myself to gain some valuable sleep. However, what I really end up doing is embarking on an intellectual dialogue within my own mind.

It's when I lie awake in bed at night in the darkness that I am able to do my most honest introspection. As my eyes fail to find a distraction, my mind is presented with a series of questions about life and my own existence. Firstly, I ask: who is this being that is thinking? Am I not the physical vessel inside the bed, or the legal name to which I am referred to, or the chemical reactions and emotions contained within my brain?

Unsatisfied with any of these answers, even more questions begin to surface. I know I am a thinking being - one that is conscious of his own existence and ability to reason - but where do my thoughts come from and what makes them my thoughts? Not easy questions to answer after a long challenging day, although there is a certain clarity and precision in the questions that cannot be dismissed.

Surely these are the right questions? But is it the right time to be asking them? After all, isn't bedtime meant to be for sleep, where we can repair our bodies, rest our minds and recharge our batteries?

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

You should consider Astral Projection as a means to explore the ethereal realms of your question...and bedtime is a great time to do it!

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

but where do my thoughts come from and what makes them my thoughts?

Yes what makes them yours?

Our thoughts are on a cycle and recycle of thoughts gone by.

We receive and transmit thoughts which in turn find new configurations to expose themselves as new thoughts.

Surely these are the right questions? But is it the right time to be asking them? After all, isn't bedtime meant to be for sleep, where we can repair our bodies, rest our minds and recharge our batteries?

Yes yes and yes. but one has a choice to let go of their thoughts and fall into the mist of nirvana and enter the dreamworld or continue with the train of thought.

Once a train of thought gets going it helps to follow where it might take you and sometimes that involves sleep deprivation which I do not suggest only mention.

Do the answers of these questions hold more weight than getting up and getting to work or school on time the next morning fresh and not sleep deprived or are the answers to these questions more important?

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
You can answer all these questions by letting your mind wander through story lines, almost like dreams. Try not to let yourself go in loops, it can wear you out and you'll miss out on needed rest. Instead try and send the wandering down a track of imagination.

What will happen is you'll still get the amazing insights but without the effort. Right now you're looking inward. Try looking outward, it's much more rewarding and takes less energy. Trying astral projection can be taxing as well, but using the idea as a tool to stretch your imagination will have many positive effects.

You are in a great place to try and work on the art of lucid dreaming. Whatever your schedule is, it lends you the energy to stay conscious throughout the first stages of dreaming. You can use it to your advantage.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I find myself doing this often too, sometimes I don't know if i'm on the cusp of enlightenment or insanity, I tend to listen to ambient music at night such as solar fields, aes dana, carbon based lifeforms etc etc this seems to encourage these pre-sleep cognitive gymnastics, I may be something to do with change in brain wave activity.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: GreyGoo

sometimes I don't know if i'm on the cusp of enlightenment or insanity,

there is fine line between love and hate if you know what I mean.

Could that fine line exist between other concepts as well?

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Every time we "pull back" from the river of thought, the act of "pulling back" is the real you.

You come back to you, as it were. You become aware of you, the room, noises outside.

Then maybe drift off again. Just before sleep is a good time to do that. I do my best upon waking.

I get my best moments of clarity then.

edit on 2-7-2014 by intrptr because: changed

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Brother, your speaking to the choir on this one. It's something that both I, and my father suffered from. Something to do with high IQ, it makes the mind work, and work, and work, and work, ad nauseum. My father said, he would go through entire episodes of Star Trek, line by line, until he fell asleep. For me it is very similar, I usually lay there fantasizing about superheroes, or talking to God. It seems like I constantly need something to distract my mind, and when I don't have it, questions like yours pop-up.

I am certain of a few things, though i have no empirical evidence, of course. Thought, IMO, DOES NOT originate from inside you, I believe that thoughts begin outside of your physicality, sent by your higher self, and are simply received/decoded by our physical brains. That's why, sometimes you pick another person's thoughts out of the air. Why you sometimes know what someone is thinking, even if they are strange to you. I think you are the right path, on the cusp of some great understandings about this World we share. I hope you good journeys on the path you travel.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Ugh! Most of the time my mind won't keep still and let me sleep. I keep making up stories and characters and playing out their lives and varying little instances and asking myself "What if this or that was done just a bit differently?" Then I run the story again. I used to play a game with myself when I was younger where I would try to write roles for myself in my favorite movies. The rules were that I had to make it to the end without interrupting the main flow of events. In other words, I couldn't become the main heroine or become the girl the guy got, but I had to legitimately make myself important in other ways. It's not as easy as you think.

I also spend a good amount of time in prayer and conversation with God almost every night.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
It would seem so, I myself do tend to enjoy the part just before bed. Since my mind is always On, Even sleep, I seem to be working!

Now, if I may ask. Have you yourself been Asked a Question inside yourself? Trying to discribe it myself, while laying there Thinking. A different kind of Question just happens to Pop in. Nothing about your day, life, or the people in it, just off on some Other vector that causes your mind to go blank.

Sometimes a Thought just happens to jump in and say something interesting, yet you have to stop and think about it. Just thought I ask, question what happened during the day and seeing where one could have done it differently would make for someone normal.

Just think about the ones who actually question nothing, get no sleep, and go about their day caring about nothing. What causes that? So some end up using pills, sleep aids, surely what lays under ones mind would cause one to Think about it at least, right?

Peace

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
I'm always torn between reading a book, listening to music or watching a film before I go to sleep. Most of the time, though, I find myself justifying doing none of these things but rather encouraging myself to gain some valuable sleep. However, what I really end up doing is embarking on an intellectual dialogue within my own mind.

It's when I lie awake in bed at night in the darkness that I am able to do my most honest introspection. As my eyes fail to find a distraction, my mind is presented with a series of questions about life and my own existence. Firstly, I ask: who is this being that is thinking? Am I not the physical vessel inside the bed, or the legal name to which I am referred to, or the chemical reactions and emotions contained within my brain?

Unsatisfied with any of these answers, even more questions begin to surface. I know I am a thinking being - one that is conscious of his own existence and ability to reason - but where do my thoughts come from and what makes them my thoughts? Not easy questions to answer after a long challenging day, although there is a certain clarity and precision in the questions that cannot be dismissed.

Concentrate on that which is beneath the mind that is asking those questions, all will be understood. Your time has come to follow a spiritual teaching, I recommend the Mahamudra Tantra as it is the most effective means of understanding what your consciousness really is and where exactly it fits into Creation and the Creator. Blessings and happiness a long your journey my friend!

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Philosophy is the best sleeping aid, ghost. The imagination and thought does not stop when we sleep. Thoughts come from the same place where digestion and breathing comes from. They continue even after the senses rest. When the senses sleep, we are unable to control our breathing, and we snore; when we are unable to control our thoughts, we dream.

top topics

join