It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man sets himself on fire in Shinjuku, JP in protest of PM Abe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
**WARNING GRAPHIC**
Youtube

I'm guessing none of you guys heard about this yet, but I found this video on Youtube of a man setting himself on fire in protest of Abe's new legislation to end the pacifism of the country's military.

The Mirror

Witnesses said the man, who was smartly dressed in a suit, was shouting through a megaphone against Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's plans to ease limits of the country's pacifist constitution. Japan is poised for a historic shift in its defence policy by ending a ban that has kept the military from fighting abroad since World War Two. The planned change in strategy marks a major step away from post-war pacifism and widen's Japan's military options at a time when relations with China are strained.

Also, The BBC got word of the news...

BBC

But Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says he wants a new interpretation of the constitution to be agreed on.

The move has split opinion inside the country. Critics of the move warn against what they see as increasing militarism, while conservatives argue that the restriction is a double standard forced upon Japan.

Mr Abe's plan has led to criticism from China, whose relations with the Japan have become strained over territorial disputes in East China Sea.

Well, if Abe passes this the Japanese military will be deployable, and will no longer be just a "Self-Defense Force." What's Abe gearing up for is my question? Or is Japan tired of just being pacifist?

Maybe Abe is preparing for a showdown with China in the near future....

Any thoughts?
edit on 2-7-2014 by Pont52 because: Vid reasons

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
You just don't see this stuff in the west. We say that protesting doesn't work, but who's willing to take it to the extreme? Guess we just don't know how to get the job done.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Apparently, the man is still alive, lucky guy, but this is definitely extreme. I wonder what the international community will have to say about this... Abe has been slyly pushing in new, somewhat radical, legislation.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
You just don't see this stuff in the west. We say that protesting doesn't work, but who's willing to take it to the extreme? Guess we just don't know how to get the job done.

I wouldn't say that. BBC America news usually goes around the world, and has a variety of interesting news you would never hear about on Fox or MSNBC. You just have to know where to look. Most cable companies carry BBC America, I think, although I've never investigated that.

Most people just don't care.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Catacomb

I think he was referring to the extremist protest by setting oneself on fire. You won't find westerns who are as willing as other parts of the world, to take protesting to the next level and do something like this...

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

What exactly has he accomplished?

He horribly disfigured himself and caused a lifetime of health issues.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Indeed, but he has brought the issue of Abe's legislation into more of an international light.

I'm also wondering why the US would be pleased if the legislation was passed. Perhaps looking for an asian ally to assist in "spreading democracy?"

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Public concern and attention. Look to how the arab spring started. It obviously works better than a sign and a loud voice!

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Pont52

Historically speaking it was MacArthur who pretty much wrote their constitution. Given the fact that he was Japan's administrator and considering all that had up to that point transpired in the previous 20 + years it's understandable for it being written the way it was.

Times have changed. It's their country and the Japanese will have to decide what is or isn't viable depending on present circumstances.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pont52

Indeed, but he has brought the issue of Abe's legislation into more of an international light.

Did he though?

Abe's proposed change has been on the news with regularity for about a week now and I'm in the US. Japans move and the world cup are all that seems to be getting coverage.

If anything he may have potentially changed the subject from Abe's proposed changes to "some nut set himself on fire!"

I gave Wikipedia's list of self-immolators a look to see if this has ever resulted in any positive change and the few instances where it appears it may have there are always other factors and ongoing protest regardless of the self-immolators. List of protesting immolators

Killing yourself, no matter the method, is just doing the tyrants job for them. To paraphrase Patton, you arent accomplishing anything by dying for your country. The accomplishment is making the other idiot die for his.

So Abe wants a more pro-active military. I'm sure he's using the media to spin up all the fear and uncertainty in this scary dangerous world just like the West has been doing. Now he has an 'extremist' torching himself to protest the government that is charged with maintaining security, safety and order. The protestor may have done Abe a favor if spun right.

On the subject of self-immolation:

"It's a sad thing that happens. Of course it's very very sad. In the meantime, I express I doubt how much effect (there is) from such drastic actions," the Dalai Lama said during a talk in Sydney.
link
edit on 2-7-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Well if it's attention he wanted then he got it.

Now, after his fifteen minutes of fame will come and go he'll have to live the rest of his handicapped life with the consequences of his actions.

Mission accomplished.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pont52
Apparently, the man is still alive, lucky guy, but this is definitely extreme. I wonder what the international community will have to say about this... Abe has been slyly pushing in new, somewhat radical, legislation.

he lived?

oh dear lord! the pain he must be experiencing.... i can't even imagine.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Hey you funny guy, I like!

I wasn't referring to this chap in particular, more a statement that peaceful, and non flammable protesting is no longer effective. If there's any kind of protesting a man can hope to accomplish, it needs to be more extreme to be effective.

Maybe dousing yourself in gasoline and striking the match isn't all too effective, either, so something else needs to be thought up. I'm all for not lighting yourself on fire if there's a better way to get the job done.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
In all honesty, I wished - for his sake - that he would have died. The pain and suffering he will undergo is unimaginable.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: jrflipjr

Unfortunately, suicide is quite common in Japan. I'm sure he wasn't planning on surviving...

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Pont52

Reminds me of this video, again a protest against the govt of that time.

Self Immolation
*extreme do not watch if you have a weak stomach*

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: QuietSpeech

oh my.....
self sacrifice is one thing. but setting yourself on fire just doesn't make sense to me.

i guess i'm more an eye for an eye person than a turn the other cheek person.

new topics

top topics

join