It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After Hobby Lobby Decision, Federal Court Grants Catholic Network Relief From Birth Control Mandate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Well it looks like the Hobby Lobby Supreme Court decision on June 30th has started the snowball rolling.

Now Federal Courts have granted a couple more exemptions.....

Looks like Obama.Care is unraveling and the rains are coming.

The repercussions are loud indeed.

Democracy in action. Long live the U.S. Constitution as they say.

Following the U.S. Supreme Court decision on Hobby Lobby, an Alabama-based Catholic television network was given relief from the federal government's "preventive services" mandate.

Within hours of the Supreme Court's ruling in favor of Hobby Lobby Inc. on Monday, Eternal Word Television Network was granted relief from having to pay fines for refusing to comply with the HHS mandate to provide various birth control pills.

In addition to EWTN, five other groups based in Wyoming were given emergency relief. They were the Catholic Diocese of Cheyenne, Catholic Charities of Wyoming, St. Joseph's Children's Home, St. Anthony Tri-Parish Catholic School, and Wyoming Catholic College.

Afte r Hobby Lobby Decision, Federal Court Grants Catholic Network Relief From Birth Control Mandate

related references;
Final Affordable Care Act Regulations on the Exemption of Contraceptives Coverage by Religious Employers and Student Health Insurance

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The news keeps getting better and better everyday

Go Constitution.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Just to point out that the Eternal Word Television Network case was for the entire contraceptive section not just a couple of the pills considered abortive. Those employees get nothing in the way of BC from their packages which is what many were screaming it's ok since they weren't being denied BC in other forms.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

This will be the undoing of single-payer aka Obamacare (precursor).

Obamacare is unconstitutional. In order for it to actually occur, it had to be considered a tax.

Sad Obama is sad.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Allowing businesses to not pay for contraceptives and certain procedures based on their religious beliefs is bass ackwards.

If you own a business and have 13,000 employees you should be paying for all the options that your employees would need. Not to mention its mandated in the ACA.

Its pushing religious beliefs on your employees by saying that because your the owner and feel its wrong and against your views you do not need to pay for it for your employees.

How about you give a damn for your employees; Hobby Lobby. How about you follow the laws. Quit making a big stink about it and do something for your minimum wage slaves.

What a crock of horse hockey that is. A giant penny pinching scheme because of the cost of the ACA on businesses.

The richer they are the more greedy they become.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

Greed?
They are getting a fair wage with benefits from this evil company and you call them greedy, lol

It's almost as pathetic crying about not getting enough stars.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
That's where I volunteered for most of the 1990s. It was stated by Franciscan nuns and has priests and brothers working there as well as mostly devout Catholics. It's old school Catholic. No one there is going to be wanting birth control and if they do ... there is a gas station right around the corner that sells condoms for 50 cents a piece.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Greed?
They are getting a fair wage with benefits from this evil company and you call them greedy, lol

It's almost as pathetic crying about not getting enough stars.

A fair wage? HAHAHA when you make lets say 8 and hour and they give you only 10-20 hours a week its not fair.

They are greedy and they are manipulating the issues to save money.

Its about obama care the real issue but they cant fight the tide so they found another way around it.

Its really against many peoples beliefs that they can not get abortions and contraceptives. Its pushing their beliefs on them but yet hobby lobby has done the same. crying about them having to pay because its against their religious views.

As for your last line, a shot at me.
You clearly did not get the whole point of that thread.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

We need to petition Congress to amend the Religious Freedom Restoration Act to reflect its intent to protect individual people, not corporations. We need to make our objections apparent at the ballot box. We can turn this ruling around.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I just talked to some of my friends who still work there. Everyone is VERY happy about the ruling. All the religious and all the lay people. Very happy. They've been praying for this outcome.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Insurance(and subsequently healthcare) being tied to employment is a disaster.

So what's to stop one of these employers from not covering childbirth where the woman isn't married? Or breast exams or any other health services involving women? Or blacks whose ancestors were ungrateful slaves who wanted freedom from their god ordained masters?

Religions tend to not be friendly toward the ladies. So now there are giant corporations that are considered "a person" that benefit from tax laws that give them a break at the expense of all the regular folk who are barely treated with any dignity whatsoever.

This just adds to the ridiculous system of a healthcare based on "insurance" that is decided by employers. A system that is completely removed from the free market. A system where it will be become a case of women paying into insurance they won't be able to use but are required to have thanks to the ACA that is overpriced yet won't cover their needs.

If I had a button I could press that would untie insurance from employment and make it illegal except for traditional indemnity(high deductible and covers only extreme rare events, ie regular insurance) type I'd press it in a second.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Another promise Obamacare failed to deliver on. It's a happy day IMO. The Constitution survived, albeit barely. I hope this is the start of an avalanche that ends with the end of Obamacare.

Wait until Obama finds his pen and his phone...

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Thank, God for the Supreme Court (no pun intended).

A closely held corporation shouldn't be held to the standard of a publicly traded mega-corporation. This is a family business not Microsoft. I am glad people don't have to support something as evil as abortion pills and abortion (Hobby Lobby had no problem with paying for contraception). Maybe now we can get the Government to quit spending money on wars, spying and killing without my consent or that of other moral taxpayers.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology
So what's to stop one of these employers from not covering childbirth where the woman isn't married?

The only people I know that are against childbirth are liberal abortion proponents. They are the only ones trying to kill babies.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I am pro choice and it's about a woman's right to control her body. I am also 100% in support of birth control and other means of preventing abortion in realistic ways. That also translates into child birth where the woman is more financially prepared and able to care for a child which also means less children being abused and neglected(as shown by data involving women who wait to have children).

Keep in mind, I am a lesbian and will never use those services(unless I get raped) but I still believe in individual's rights to control their own bodies. Also an individual is someone who can live individually. The unborn/fetus is still a part of the woman's body up until a certain point. The only one who should decide whether that woman is to host the pregnancy is that woman.

Oh and in terms of companies not covering child birth in future, don't be surprised at that happening. This is a numbers game and there are very few things that are as expensive as popping out kids in the current healthcare system. In depending on what type of services you need it can creep up as far as 20k per birth.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I think it's incredibly stupid to have one's healthcare tied to one's job. We ought to have a national health care system like every other 1st world country.

Alternatively, the employers could take the money they're paying now for healthcare, give raises to their employees, and have the employees purchase their own healthcare.

As if that would ever happen.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Another promise Obamacare failed to deliver on. It's a happy day IMO. The Constitution survived, albeit barely. I hope this is the start of an avalanche that ends with the end of Obamacare.

Wait until Obama finds his pen and his phone...

Yes...wait until he finds his pen and phone...out of ink, and the battery is dead....

Things just keep getting better and better. The King's throne is starting to flush.

Des

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

The Supreme Court decision is an interesting read, although it is about three dozen pages long. In it, you'll find that there are 20 drugs or devices in the "Birth Control" category which HHS was mandating. (You may also remember that Obamacare didn't decide on the methods or mandate, HHS picked them.)

Of the twenty different methods, Hobby Lobby said they had no problem with 16 of them. They only objected to four, which were seen as abortifacients.

This case has absolutely nothing to do with greed, and there is no evidence for that, simply your claim. I would like to see your opinions based on what actually happened in the case.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

health care should be the responsibility of the individual. When it becomes responsibility of government then you cede authority over your own life, health and turn that control to the state.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
I just talked to some of my friends who still work there. Everyone is VERY happy about the ruling. All the religious and all the lay people. Very happy. They've been praying for this outcome.

LOL! Of course! There's a BIG party there! HAHA

Even if some of them really aren't happy about the ruling, they better be HAPPY ABOUT THE RULING!

LOL

<<   2  3  4 >>

join