It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'The Internet's Own Boy' : The Documentary of Aaron Swartz

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Moderators, I placed this in US Political Madness. If it needs to be moved, please do so. Thank You

One year ago this month, the young Internet freedom activist and groundbreaking programmer Aaron Swartz took his own life. Swartz died shortly before he was set to go to trial for downloading millions of academic articles from servers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology based on the belief that the articles should be freely available online. At the time he committed suicide, Swartz was facing 35 years in prison, a penalty supporters called excessively harsh. Today we spend the hour looking at the new documentary, "The Internet’s Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz." We play excerpts of the film and speak with Swartz’s father Robert, his brother Noah, his lawyer Elliot Peters, and filmmaker Brian Knappenberger.

AARON SWARTZ: "I mean, I, you know, feel very strongly that it’s not enough to just live in the world as it is, to just kind of take what you’re given and, you know, follow the things that adults told you to do and that your parents told you to do and that society tells you to do. I think you should always be questioning. You know, I take this very scientific attitude that everything you’ve learned is just provisional, that, you know, it’s always open to recantation or refutation or questioning. And I think the same applies to society. Once I realized that there were real, serious problems, fundamental problems that I could do something to address, I didn’t see a way to forget that. I didn’t see a way not to."

Link to Story

Pay to watch or rent here

This is a must watch documentary of the life and times of Aaron Swartz.

edit on 1-7-2014 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-7-2014 by GrantedBail because: Post not uploading correctly

edit on 1/7/14 by JAK because: Formatting

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: GrantedBail

I cannot get my entire post to upload. I am wondering if there might be a forbidden link. I would appreciate any help that could be given.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

Thank you but my post had so much more in it. I have alerted. Never had that happen before.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: GrantedBail

I'm sorry, I realize how frustrating that is. Thanks for the heads up anyhow.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   
It's currently playing at a theatre here.

I didn't pay much attention, but will go see it on your recommendation.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Was he a spy and was he stealing industry secrets? I need to watch this when I get time and research who he was.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Watching this now. Very cool. I didn't know about this doc until today and the search actually worked so I didn't start a unneeded thread.

We need more people like him. I had forgotten much of this story and it's quite unsettling what our government did to him. They railroaded him, plain and simple.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Watching this right now ..

As smart as this kid was at an very early age .. definitely caught the eye of someone that didn't have ichy ears to hear the truth .. Fulll Doc below ..

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
This story makes me sad. I always wanted to get into hacking, there's a lot of information out there that should be public knowledge but isn't. There's also a lot of systems out there that are billed as secure but aren't. Seeing both exposed is important to me. Sadly there's only so much time in the day for self improvement so I can do very little on the hacking front.

top topics

join