It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My new experiment! Custom made swords and Medieval weaponry!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Sierra312

Nice work! Can't wait to see some of the other items as they come. I'll probably be checking out the site, as I wouldn't mind having a dagger-sized blade to hang on the wall over here.

Thought about picking this up as a hobby myself, but never had the time nor space to pull it off though.

-fossilera

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Thank you Des, I'm working on the leg armour now, gotta get the Mrs to do some sewing for me before I can finish them.

Thank you too Fossilera! I might post a warhammer today. Send me a message by either means if you're interested, I'd love to do some custom work

It can be a very time consuming hobby, it really sucks away the time in the day, but when you have a finished product it really makes it worth it. It took me a full day to make the great-sword pictured. Space can be an issue when making stuff, but noise, especially residential areas can be the sole limiting factor for people who want to forge or smith stuff. Hammering steel is noisy, very very noisy LOL. Thankful I live in a rural area.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

That sword is a real gem.

looks to be a decent quality.
Here is my question, What kind of steel do you use?

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

Thanks EyesOpenMouthShut! The steel I use depends on the intended use or result of the sword. Whether it's for display, cosplay, reenacting, dueling or true sharp edge combat. For the display ones that aren't intended for use or just basic cutting testing, it's most often mild steel or medium carbon steel, where I employ a few secrets to tempering and hardening that type of steel. The functional swords are spring/high carbon steel, stuff that is strong enough for a beater sword. It all depends on what you want to do with the sword, then an appropriate metal is fabricated or otherwise acquired to suit.

edit on 1/7/2014 by Sierra312 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Now you have my undivided attention.
Never been a display arms person myself. I always thought "whats the use of having a weapon if you could never use it for it's intended purpose?"
Tell me, do you forge any functional axes?

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Yes, I do. I've made a few axes. I've made about 4, 2 were display and 2 were functional, I didn't get many pictures of them before I let go of them, I might be able to contact their new owners for pictures. One was a bearded axe, another just a hatchet and two heading-axes.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Ever played Donkey Kong country? At the end of a level when he gets to the big banana and he says "Oooooh... Bah-nah-nah!" yeah, thats what went through my head when i read "bearded axe"

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Your welcome, and good luck with it! Awesome blade.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Nope, never played it haha.

I'll get my warhammer posted tomorrow and I may consider and armouring service. Give me the dimensions and I can make you a suit of armour...

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
For those that are interested, here is the link to the war hammer/war pick! This hammer was hand forged a few months back, went for a nice minimalistic and simple design. Yet effective enough to tear open armour with a good swing.

Link to War Hammer on Etsy

Hope you like it!

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sierra312
a reply to: Kukri

Hey Kukri!

Thanks for the reply! I'll get some updated photos of my stuff very shortly, got to get the Mrs to take some photos of me in my armour when the weather is good! Will also work on putting some some stuff like lucernes and warhammers I've forged a few months back.

Sounds good Sierra can' wait to see them. This is something I've always thought about doing but nevwr got around to, maybe somepics will motivate me to try my hand at it.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Finally took a look at the pics. That is some awesome work! Really authentic looking to me. Igrew up in the UK and was taken to every castle and museum my Da could find so I've seen literally dozens of armour suits and thousandsof swords or so it seems. There's a guy in Kingston who makes chain and ringmail awful finicky stuff but wonderful to see.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

Thanks! I'd love to visit castle and museums! Unfortunately here in Australia, we've got nothing of the sort, no where near haha. Would be so awesome to see some real artifacts, real pieces of history right before your eyes, could only imagine what it'd feel like to witness something that people many hundred years ago lived in and died on. I've got to travel to Europe soon!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join