It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My new experiment! Custom made swords and Medieval weaponry!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Hello all!

I've been into Medieval stuff for some time, I've been reenacting, dueling and fighting with Medieval weaponry and attire for a few years now. I have hand made and hand forged nearly every single thing I wear and use regarding my Medieval stuff. Swords, chestplate, leg armour, arm armour etc.

A few people suggested I should sell a few things I make, or custom make things for people. I've been learning the ins and outs of a website that you may be familiar with, Etsy. It's a website pretty much catered toward hand-made and vintage stuff. It has a rather massive and very interesting array of people and items on there.

So my experiment has lead me there, by suggestion. I've started a little online store on there, where I've listed a single item (planning on more) to see how it goes.

I hand make and hand forge these items I plan to sell, and accept custom orders. It's turning out to be a bit of a hobby now. First I made it out of necessity for my costume (every knight needs armour and a sword!) but it grew on me, I ended up loving it.

So if it doesn't go against the T&Cs here, I'd like to post a link to one of my items, not just to sell, but generate a bit of awareness and exposure to my little online venture.

Here's the link to my first item. Link to the Great-Sword

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Great stuff sierra hope this pans out for you and I'll look forward to seeing pics of your other creations should you be kind enough to post them.

ea reply to: Sierra312

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

Hey Kukri!

Thanks for the reply! I'll get some updated photos of my stuff very shortly, got to get the Mrs to take some photos of me in my armour when the weather is good! Will also work on putting some some stuff like lucernes and warhammers I've forged a few months back.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Interesting .. do you make them full-tang ? nicely done on the one on your link . Good luck with your business

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Thanks! Yeah, full-tang. The steel of the blade goes all the way to the pommel, at uniform width too. No tang taper with the larger (like that one) swords, as the taper can really upset the balance having next to no weight (besides the pommel) on the handle side, and a meter and bit of steel on the blade.

edit on 1/7/2014 by Sierra312 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Sierra312

Manly Sword! Now, I want to see pics of your costume you've made...with you in it

Fair well kind Sir...

Des

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Sweet job man!
That's a beast-is it based upon any particular historical era/warrior group?

If I had to be really critical,I would worry about the increased shockwave to your hands/arms as the grip looked square rather than round-Square grips send the shockwaves out more each corner,hurting more than a circular grip(no corners,smoother shockwave).
But as its only for display or cosplay,that hardly counts I guess.

Keep up the good work.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Nice!!!! I'm a big fantasy and sword guy. If you really want to sell them, make recreations from book series. Like ra Salvatore exc. people will eat them up.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Is the cross guard blacksmith welded or otherwise?
2nd.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Thanks Des and Silocone!

The handle is rounded, due to the width of it, it isn't all that practical to make it very rounded for 2 reasons; to prevent the sword from spinning in your grip when you take a heavy hit from torque and leverage, and to sufficiently cover for the large full-tang width.
I do fully understand what you're saying about shock and the handle design though, a round handle does transfer shock far better and gentler than a square one. Though I have never found any square (or squarish) handles to be any problem personally, even in full combat during tournaments and duels (I like the extra surface to help position the sword, as opposed to one whole surface of a round one).

Now to the pictures that were requested. The below picture is a rather old one, with very basic arm armour.

This picture here is from the same date too. I went for a very thick and messy paint on the chest plate, thought it'd be more accurate than perfectly neat stuff. Turned out how I intended.

A more recent, yet mostly unchanged armour picture with the first short-sword I ever made.

Here's a nearly up to date photo. Improved the wielding arm protection and added lames (scale armour) across the wrist. I've got the monster great-sword standing on the ground there. I'm 6' 4", so yeah, the sword is huge.

Here's another of the same date as above, different pose haha. I'll have to get more pictures soon. I've made some lower leg armour.

Basically, I'm building on my armour gradually, readying for a tournament and event in August!

Silicone, I've made all my stuff roughly based on a 13th - 14th Century Crusades style outfit. With Scottish Heraldry (Clan/House Ross, a small number of Scots took part in the Crusades). The wielding arm has a hint of Gothic style armour with the sharp points (but they're intended to catch and deflect blades), and my shield is a a bit later toward the 15th Century style of shield, smaller, heater style. I've left my unarmed (right arm) unarmoured from the elbow down, as I usually use a shield - even with the great-sword.

edit on 1/7/2014 by Sierra312 because: Little more info.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: g146541
The cross-guard on that very sword is welded. On future editions it will be either slotted into it (traditional) or welded depending on my customer specification. I weld all my combat swords, as a loose cross-guard will result in blood and stitches haha

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

Thanks for the input! I'm open to ideas and specifications from people who want swords/weapons based on other stuff.
Next sword I want to make is "Ice" from Game of Thrones, House Stark's heading-sword.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Man,cheers for the historical info.
Your suit of armor rocks!

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sierra312
a reply to: ArtemisE

Next sword I want to make is "Ice" from Game of Thrones, House Stark's heading-sword.

LOL, the hassle of finding that much steel in one spot will be a difficult task.
Plus being spring steel rather than Valerian steel would make it heavy, unless if the blade will only be a replica, then you can cheat like the big guys do and make a maintenance free stainless blade.
BTW, check yer inbox.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: g146541

Yeah haha, for such a large piece I'd likely keep it replica/decorative. Wouldn't really want to swing something like that around considering the risk of damaging a nice handle or something.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Oh my! Impressive is too simple a word for your craftmanship. I'm literally blown away by your attention to detail, and fine work on all your pieces.

Thank you for posting the pics...keep them coming as you make new pieces...

I think you have a new future in what you consider a hobby.

Des

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I really do like what you've done with this. But if I may offer a piece of advice from a total noob, you should put in a full tang on your swords. I had to go look it up because I forgot what it was called. It did serve an important purpose for the blade. It is the raised middle ridge of the blade.And some people call it a full tang when it runs totally through the blade up into the handle. It provides the blade more strength during combat so the blade isn't as likely to break. I wish you all the luck with this and hope it takes off for you.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

gimme
gimme
gimme!

As a life-long fencer (epee) I absolutely love the weaponry!

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

I've only ever heard of full-tang being used to describe the blade running all the way through the handle (or at least half way). I think the word you're looking for is fuller (depression running a significant length of the blade, making it stronger and less prone to flexing), or something like a diamond cross-section. Both of them provide blades that have far less flex in use, I've incorporated fullers into some of my blades.
Thanks Dimithae!

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Thanks Beezzer!
I've never fenced before with an epee or rapier, always thought it looked like fun!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join