It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future soldiers could be protected against germ warfare by genetically modified blood cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Soldiers on future battlefields could be protected against germ warfare agents by having blood transfusions with genetically modified cells that can neutralise deadly biological toxins, scientists have found.

Human red blood cells have been genetically engineered to produce protein antidotes and other antibody-based medicines that can be safely delivered to any part of the body, researchers said.

A study has shown that the technique works well when carried out on laboratory mice, and that modified human red blood cells stay circulating in the body for up to four months, giving transfusion patients long-term protection, they said.

Future soldiers could be protected against germ warfare by genetically modified blood cells

This seems like an interesting development, which could save the lives of soldiers exposed to germ warfare, but i'm not sure if the idea of the government injecting genetically modified blood cells into their soldiers is a good thing. Apparently, it wouldn't be lethal, as red blood cells lack chromosomes, meaning that they cannot replicate or produce cancer. They are also naturally removed from one's bloodstream after a couple of months.

Still, with this said, the scientific experiments were funded by DARPA. As to whether or not that is a good thing, i'll leave you to decide.

Overall, i find that while an interesting breakthrough in terms of genetic modification, i don't think the government can, or should, be trusted with this type of stuff...

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Hmmm,this could get darkside fast daas...
Tweak the genetic mods to generate adrenaline in the blood,or to deliver some kind of "rage" signal in the brain.
Turn off the soldiers emotions while engaged in combat with another tweak.
Memory wipe after combat with another tweak.

Gene modded human killers,the future of warfare-sounds like some kind of dystopian sci fi future is what we are looking at.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Most wars are conducted to serve corporate interests - and corporations are behind most bio-terrorism. Seems they hit a region with some infectious disease or another, wipe out the local dissidents and collateral population, then get a government to send in the troops to secure the area. Allinall, having some defence for innocent soldiers is not a bad idea. Given no one is ready to change the world.

edit on 1/7/14 by soficrow because: sp

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This is going to end with 90% of the human race turning into Vampires, isn't it?

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
This is going to end with 90% of the human race turning into Vampires, isn't it?

I don't think the existing species would allow such
It would be fair to make this incase there was a threat to mass populations however.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

Nooo,Thorneblood-The 1% become the vampires-almost immortal with life extending genetic upgrades,while the slave masses satisfy their bloodlust.
With a healthy black market in genetic mind altering altering drugs of course.

Not a nice future to envision-lets hope I am way off the mark..

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Neat.
Coming soon, Space Marines.
XD

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I'm sure these soldiers will also get injected with millions of tiny nano bots that will heal traumatic injuries seen on the battlefield. Pretty cool stuff AND also a little weird to think of how our future soldiers will fight.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Who's going to do the modifying? Monsanto?

Bad, bad idea.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

For you maybe. I would prefer that the people tinkering with my genetic structure were the best despite the ethics.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I am glad I am almost done...get my 20 year letter and it will be punch out time.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

Hmmm,this could get darkside fast daas...
Tweak the genetic mods to generate adrenaline in the blood,or to deliver some kind of "rage" signal in the brain.
Turn off the soldiers emotions while engaged in combat with another tweak.
Memory wipe after combat with another tweak.

Gene modded human killers,the future of warfare-sounds like some kind of dystopian sci fi future is what we are looking at.

From my neighbors experiments with cooking, that could be done easily using beer, hot peppers and other spicy ingredients.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Who's going to do the modifying? Monsanto?

Bad, bad idea.

Yeah I think they have done enough modding...

Very bad idea indeed. Smh.

-SAP-

top topics

join