It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Canada Day!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
We are 147 years old today, the baby on the world block so to speak. Neighbours, strangers and friends will be celebrating, expressing our love and appreciation for our country and its diverse people, from the Atlantic to the Pacific and the Arctic. We love all of it, from the flat to the mountainous. We love the marshes and beaches, the vastness of the plains and our wildlife. We love the true North and the snow, though not in excessive amounts, and I feel so happy and privileged to live here, to have worked here and to have raised my family here. We love peace and harmony. I have had the privilege and fortune to visit most of this country and encourage everyone to do the same.

As has become traditional now, the people next door will be sitting outdoors with a cooler and a humungous Canada Day cake, offering a piece to passers-by and greeting everyone who comes along. I will be joining them for a while. We will have picnics and fireworks of course. Some will go to the Capital while others will head for cottages and family get-togethers. It is a grand day and I heartily wish you a happy and safe holiday.

So Happy Canada Day to all Canadians, wannabe Canadians and ex-pats! Tell us how you plan to celebrate it.

edit on 1-7-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Happy Canada day to you too!

Me and my family will be chilling around the pool I think, we camped for the weekend to celebrate it already

Cheers

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Happy Birthday Canada from the UK , you don't look a day over 130.
Have a good one.

edit on 1-7-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Happy Canada Day to you and everyone. Yes we are lucky to live in such a wonderful country. So let's celebrate and stay safe on this beautiful day.

Cheers

ETA: Probablydo some much neglected housework then head out for the firworks display on the river.
edit on 7/1/2014 by Kukri because: eta

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I celebrate Canada day by counting down to the 4th of July.

I'm Canadian, but can't land a decent job at all here because I don't speak the minority french language.
It's terrible, and it is spreading. Recently I've seen jobs posted for fence post installer, garbage truck driver, & warehouse worker all requiring the worker to be fluent in English and French, written, reading and oral. That's right folks, if you aren't fluent in both languages you don't have the skill to toss garbage bags into the back of a truck up here..

Anyways, I'm celebrating July 4th because for the past 2.5 years I have been working from home (in Canada) but for USA companies, over the internet. I've been helping the US economy and earning good money all at the same time, awesome. And to top it all off, USD is worth more than CAD so I win again. Also, whenever the Canadian dollar does badly, I make more money now. lol.

Also every year Canada becomes a less decent place. Many rights taken away, nature destroyed by sneaky government only concerned with money, etc etc etc.. I'm sick of it.

USA USA USA!!!
(I am 100% Canadian)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Happy Canada Day, eh!!

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DumpMaster

I'm Canadian, but can't land a decent job at all here because I don't speak the minority french language. It's terrible, and it is spreading. Recently I've seen jobs posted for fence post installer, garbage truck driver, & warehouse worker all requiring the worker to be fluent in English and French, written, reading and oral. That's right folks, if you aren't fluent in both languages you don't have the skill to toss garbage bags into the back of a truck up here..

Mornin',

I'm sorry, sir.
I feel for anyone who can't find work but what you are saying is either an exageration or a flat out lie.
I am an anglo living in La Belle Province.
I don't speak a word of french and at 46 years of age have no intention of learning it either.
About six months ago I was just a temp worker.
Now, I am in charge of the packing department of a billion dollar company and guess what?
I still don't speak a word of french and it not only hasn't hindered me at all but is actually preferred by my employer.
(Go figure)
I wish you luck in your search for work but I honestly think if you are truely a good worker, the jobs will find you.
It's as simple as that.
Good workers are priceless to big corperations and when they see one, they don't care if you speak Klingon.

As for Canada's birthday?
I don't play the game of nations.
To me a national border is just a place where "blood met blood" and could go no further.
Countries are just tax farms.

I refuse to celebrate my slave owners birthday.

I have too much pride for that.
I apologize if this came off sounding negative but I hate hearing someone say "X is like this and Y is like that" when neither case is even true.

-Peace-

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
It's so bad you had to move... oh wait you didn't! Yeah maybe our present gov. sucks buts still a lot better than most and your bilingualrequirement rant may be true in Quebec but not in the ROC. Maybe you should appreciate what you have and whinge less and be a real Canadian.

P.S. I'm ex-pat Brit and I can't imagine living anywhere else

Canada,Canada, Canada. WOOHOO.

a reply to: DumpMaster

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Eryiedes

A weird situation to be sure. I was never able to find work in an English environment because I spoke and wrote French and my work history was always in French only, until I landed work with an American company online too. Yet I claim no French ancestors. There will always be perceptions and misperceptions, but as I look back I see how we have grown and are still able to continue forward despite the oftentimes crummy politicians we elect.

Sympathies and warmest feelings go out to Manitobans and prairie people caught up in floods.

edit on 1-7-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Happy birthday to us,
Happy birthday to us,
Happy birthday dear Canada,
Happy birthday to us !!

(sorry, I sound better if I sing in the shower)

Now go out there and blast those fireworks with pride !

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Sympathies and warmest feelings go out to Manitobans and prairie people caught up in floods.

That would be me.

We just spent the morning cleaning up branches and debris from the yard. Luckily we didn't get any flooding where I'm at, but my daughter now has a nature-made swimming pool in her back yard... she lives in Regina. No serious damage though, so it's all good.

The winds and rain were so strong here, our cat actually hid under the bed for two days.

And she's absolutely terrified of fireworks, so she'll be back under the bed for the rest of the night tonight too, LOL.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'll be at the beach,with the family,getting sunburned. No fireworks. Not worth the crowds or the bugs to watch a few lights in the sky go kaboom.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Happy B-Day Canad-eh

So, is this the year that we take over the world?

(insert insidious laugh)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: canucks555
Happy B-Day Canad-eh

So, is this the year that we take over the world?

(insert insidious laugh)

We already have, they just don't know it yet!
(insert witchy cackle)

Sorry I'm late to the party! Damn holiday on a Tuesday, how bass-ackwards is that?
It's felt like Sunday all day, and I just found out the fireworks don't start until 10 pm? WTH?
Everyone is back to work tomorrow, so that is just too late.

Erm....I mean HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!!

Now, all bow to your polite new overlords, eh?
jacygirl

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
HAPPY CANADA DAY TO YOU ALL!!!!!

...where is Keanu when you want to give a Canadian a nice 'Happy Canada day' kiss???
lol

edit on 1-7-2014 by Agartha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
HAPPY CANADA DAY !!

Did you know...

Canada’s name comes from a misunderstanding between Jacques Cartier and some Iroquois youth who were pointing out a village (for which they used the word “Kanata”). They were actually trying to identify the small area which is present day Quebec City, but Cartier used the similar-sounding word “Canada” to refer to the whole area. Oops!

Canada officially got its own national flag on February 15, 1965 — almost 100 years after it became a country (in 1867).

Forget the Loch Ness Monster: Canada has its own mysterious lake creature, Ogopogo, who reportedly lives in Lake Okanagan, British Columbia.

More here : 10 Funny Facts about Canada

Relaxing today...day off...so I've cooked (it's still cooking though) this Meat Stew that I can't wait to get my teeth into...

Along with a few Rickard's Reds... Oh Caaaanada....

Hope everyone has a Great Day !!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Happy Canada Day everyone.

Too many funny things come to mind, so I'll refrain and just wish everyone a great day to a nice little country with great beer and even better people.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Aw, thanks Beezer. That was really sweet.

Ahm, now let's hear the funny stuff, O furry one, or are you just giving away carrots today?

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
a reply to: beezzer

Aw, thanks Beezer. That was really sweet.

Ahm, now let's hear the funny stuff, O furry one, or are you just giving away carrots today?

Beez is a big Beebs fan. That's funny, isn't it?

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: canucks555

Are you actually saying that the bunny is a Belieber?

Now that's hilarious!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join