It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Incredible Artist Draws Amazing Illustrations With No Sketching

page: 1

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 07:55 AM
Meet Kim Jung Gi.

Kim Jung Gi is a Korean artist born in 1975 in Goyang-Si in the province of Kyongki-Do (South Korea). At 19, he entered the Fine Arts School and majored in “Art & Design”. During 3 years, he studied on the west coast at the Dong-Eui university of Busan which is famous for its technical courses. As every man in Korea he also served in the army during more than 2 years, in the special forces section, which allowed him to memorize an amazing number of vehicles and weapons.

I used to be a graphic designer in a former life and I have been around lots of people (illustrators in particular) with far more talent than me, but this guy is flat out incredible. Here are some of my favorites:

What is the most amazing thing to me is not just the crazy amount of detail, sense of scale, unique perspective or the incredible imagination, but the fact that he does no sketching prior to finishing a piece. He just grabs a pen, a blank sheet of paper and whatever he has in his head just seems to spill out to create one of a kind illustrations. Any artist I have ever known always sketches out an idea in pencil before using inks or paints. The fact that he can just "go" is mind blowing.

When he is not working for some Korean company in advertising or managing AniChanga, his drawing school in Seoul, he’s working with the French writer Jean-David Morvan on a comic book which should be available this winter (Ed. Glénat). You can visit his website here to view more of his work.

Below is a video of him working on a piece. I could watch him draw for hours. Enjoy.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:41 AM
I was trying to understand what the meaning of "sketching" was but you explained that nicely in your OP. That is very impressive work there.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:55 AM
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

If you watch his videos closely, even when he makes a mistake, he builds it into the picture or covers it over instantly by redirecting the image. A true master of the medium.