It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conditioned Human Apathy? Why do people no longer get pissed off? (Terence Mckenna)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: crankyoldman
For one thing, pissed off about what? The world? Everyone in the world? The entirety of governance? Pissed off about what?

Well we are basically cutting the earth from beneath our own feet, we are poisoning the very atmosphere that we breate, we've taken an economic position that is totally out of harmony with nature, and what we totally lack, as a western society, is what primitive socities have had in balance for millenia; a kind of dynamic equilibrium with their environment, and peace of mind in the felt experience of the moment.

These are the two things we don't have. As a society we can not seem to make peace with nature, as human beings, as individuals, it's very hard for us to make peace with ourselves.

I wont even go into the problems inherit in the entire world and it's various power structures ... as that'd take about six posts. But it does not take a genius to notice that a lot of places over the world are lead by totally morally corrupt, power hungery, progedandist, greed driven weasels, who will at some point have to be overthrown in some way; else they simply will not give up their power. So I'll stick to western and US/UK/Eureopean issues.

The corporate takeover, mainly by super-rich and old age psychopaths, of our 'representative' politicians with the billions and billions of dollars they have via corporate political lobbying and funding to push and maintain their right to get richer and richer via laws and tax aversion, accentuating the rich poor divide; yet not sharing a cent of this to the poor and suffering that need food far more then they need their next mansion.

The petrochemical energy industry that is destroying the planet, sucking all non sustainable resources out the the mantle, polluting the atmosphere now at an accelerating almost exponential rate due to third worlds countries starting to follow the example of the first world economies, lobbying against wind and solar energy with all their political power, and suppressing by law the media’s reporting of alternative ways to fuel the main technologies that are causing this problem.

There is nothing much wrong, or even polluting, with Tesla Motors, or electric cars, for example. Sure, it costs a fair few emissions to make, but compared to the average life of a petrochemical cars emissions it's totally negligible. Tesla Motors, frustrated about how they are not taken seriously by the corporate media and petrochemical industry, have recently taken the nearly unprecedented step (for a money making corporation) to revoke their patent on the electric car engine, and all other technologies they have patented around it, so any other company can come along and use the same technology without being liable. A huge step in the right direction. Happened two weeks ago. Video: Tesla Gives Away Patents to Public: Brilliant!

The absolute desolation and toxification of the sea and species that inhabit it, from overfishing, to nuclear waste, to mass pollution, to dredging, to whaling, take your pick; we all should know the laundry list by now.

The fact that corporations don't give a f**k about peoples health, mortality, healthy lifestyle, addictions, whatever; and would rather make a cheap buck at the expense of exploiting these psychological weaknesses, via various nefarious purposes like advertising and lobbying for laws to enable their greed driven anti human schemes to stay in place.

The total lack of any kind coverage in the mainstream media of the potential ways that we can stop these issues, the total lack of criticism in the MSM of these major corporations (who usually sponsor them, and pretty much own them now) the total lack of scientific objectivity about what is happening on this planet in the face of pointless left/right political rhetoric .... should I go on? I could for quite a while.

The internet is slowly (far too slowly) but surely, making it better. It's the light at the end of the tunnel. It is creating a global society.
edit on 1-7-2014 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Almost every manufactured food contains soy which is an estrogen-mimic. They also all pretty much contain high fructose corn syrup and various hydrogenated substances.

Obesity further lowers natural testosterone levels. Look at the American low-testoterone epidemic. Many normal size guys having the problem too.

These factors combine to create a mostly emasculated, often obese population who are too chicken-shiit and/or too lazy to bother standing up for principles anymore.
edit on 3-7-2014 by 8675309jenny because: condensed

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny
Almost every manufactured food contains soy which is an estrogen-mimic. They also all pretty much contain high fructose corn syrup and various hydrogenated substances.

Obesity further lowers natural testosterone levels. Look at the American low-testoterone epidemic. Many normal size guys having the problem too.

These factors combine to create a mostly emasculated, often obese population who are too chicken-shiit and/or too lazy to bother standing up for principles anymore.

Good points but I don't even think that obesity is the problem, sure it is a massive problem in terms of health, etc, but it's much more a poisoning of peoples minds through propagandist mediums than a poisoning of their bodies that I see as the main issue we face now.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
We are so much the victims of abstraction that with the Earth in flames we can barely rouse ourselves to wander across the room and look at the thermostat.

The more I listen to Mckenna the more convinced I am that at some day in the future, even if only a small fraction of what he said is true, be regarded as the Copernican of consciousness.

""We have millions of people in larval low awareness states, in their little condominium apartments ladling this garbage [TV] day after day after day into their minds. Imagine if that was a drug, we'd be up in arms; that people are at home with that level of mental conditioning for up to eight hours a day, we would DO something about it"

Also Mckenna seemed to know more about the internet and the effect it was/is going to have on society back in 1994 than most people even today appreciate.

edit on 3-7-2014 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

confirmed for not knowing what political correctness actually means.

political correctness is simply what is "correct" given any political orientation.

your arguement is politically correct for a right-wing reactionary.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ZeuZZ

In the film Serenity the government added gasses to the atmosphere but its much easier adding it to water supply telling its good for our teeth (trouble is our teeth isn't in our stomach).

archive.org... .....

"This was to control the population in any given area through mass medication of drinking water. In this scheme, sodium fluoride occupied a prominent place. Repeated doses of infinitesimal amounts of fluoride will in time reduce an individual's power to resist domination by slowly poisoning and narcotizing a certain area of the brain and will thus make him submissive to the will of those who wish to govern him. Both the Germans and the Russians added sodium fluoride to the drinking water of prisoners of war to make them stupid and docile.

In a book written by Dr Hans Moolenburgh of Haarlem, Holland, called Fluoride - The Freedom Fight, the author describes the ultimately successful endeavors to free the Dutch people from water fluoridation. (Those endeavors included the only properly conducted double-blind study ever done anywhere in the world into the effects of tap water [1 p.p.m.].)
"

added... This in religious terms could be considered the the Mark of the Beast as it calcifies the Pineal Gland making the third eye inoperative.
edit on 6 7 2014 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I've always been wary of fluoride in water, but meh, what can you do. Buying dozens of bottles a week becomes laborious. I think if there was really concrete evidence people would be up in arms, but, I'd still rather not have it in my water supply. The science is pretty mirkey in this area.

I've always thought that essentiually what the 'establishment' fears is a fear of human creativity. A fear of all ideas being considered on a level playing field. Because if this were allowed to happen then the implications for how we organize, monetize and militarize our economies would become so blatentely and transparently absurd we would have to do something about it.

So the goal and role of the establishment has become one of holding down panic, keeping the ball in play, keeping people and populations quiescent. They have totally lost sight of what they could do to actually help us, the Earth and society, and are trying to stop as many people notice the contradictions in policy and economic structures (that are perpetuating to the point of absudirty the rich poor divide) as possible.

Done by creating cosumer mania, fear through the media, prescribing drugs that are not psychedelic and mind opening but addictive and destructive, and generally dehumanizing their populations into behaving like machines.

This is a brilliant quote from the inventor of general systems theory, which pretty much sums up our predicament.

edit on 6-7-2014 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: hgfbob
a reply to: skunkape23

Complaisant? We got ourselves a 'stainer' here.

a "stainer"....sorry, I don't paint or stain...I have subs that come in and do that for me.

so your pathetic, one-line-drive-by attack means nothing....besides, LOTS of info out there supporting that fact...google can be your friend if you ask nice.

If you had heard me say that in person, you would have easily caught on that I was just cracking a funny. That's the problem with forums like this...there is no way to determine the tone in which a phrase is articulated. I like one-line-drive-by. Thanks for my new word for the day.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Its the cell phones

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Why do so many people think that an external party like the goverment or the "illuminati" is doing all bad s-t to us like mind control? Yes, flouride in the water is for real but that's the stupedest thing in the history of mankind and critique from "main stream scientists" isn't exactly unheard of. (You guys who live in those areas don't actually drink it, do you?)
No, it's the System that's doing it to us. That is, no single person or organisation have the power to do much difference in any sort of timely manner. We probably need a second coming.. The System is the sum of all economic bonds, human psychology, history, technology and so on.

Before blaming it on TPTB, please read the essay "Industrial society and it's future" (1996) by.. ehum.. you know who. I'm sure google is your friend.

Ok, terrorists aren't credible very much but in essence it's an abstract of what other wise men have already concluded before him.

Edit:
I have to copy paste the intro to get you in the mood

"
INDUSTRIAL SOCIETY AND ITS FUTURE

Introduction

1. The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race. They have greatly increased the life-expectancy of those of us who live in “advanced” countries, but they have destabilized society, have made life unfulfilling, have subjected human beings to indignities, have led to widespread psychological suffering (in the Third World to physical suffering as well) and have inflicted severe damage on the natural world. The continued development of technology will worsen the situation. It will certainly subject human beings to greater indignities and inflict greater damage on the natural world, it will probably lead to greater social disruption and psychological suffering, and it may lead to increased physical suffering even in “advanced” countries."
edit on 6-7-2014 by chuckmorris because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I see a lot of theories about why the people are so apathic. But I am missing one big thing I always encounter in my own surroundings.

I am from The Netherlands, and most people are just busy doing that, what they want to do the most, and that is almost always doing or getting things for themselves.

This I-culture is very strong at the moment and as long as these people are not immediatly confronted with the problems around them they don't care and will go on with getting the newest items or being the most popular guy or girl in the neighborhood.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
People rise up when they have nothing to lose. People now have a lot to lose. And they have other options. Look at the difference in the Civill Rights movement in 60/70s and the marriage equality movement now. One was open protests and civil disobediance becaise they had no other option. The latter is simply a matter taking the fight to the courrts. The world has changed and people have better options than running around and throwing rocks at people.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Well I have nothing to loose and am rising up now. Anyone joining me?

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
FFS

Why do people no longer get pissed off

!

edit on 7-7-2014 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Through the forced idiocy of TV the drama of a dying world has been turned into a kind of soap opera for most people.

They do not understand that it's THEIR story. And people do not realize that unless there is some kind of revolution it's not just their life, but their entire children and progenies life, that is at stake.

We did not inherit our environments from our ancestors, we borrow it from our descendants.
edit on 7-7-2014 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma
I'm a Boomer myself but we are the same way.rude seems to get my goat. Why can 't ANYONE debate facts not FEELINGS lately. I remember that MANIFEST DESTINY bull where we did the ethnic cleansing on our natives hereMt history teacher Mr Horn brought "bury my heart at wounded knee" to class and that pretty well took care of any US in only good stuff I had and having served in the military I have heard worse .They stopped teaching the individual in favor of a Soviet model to condition the children to work in industry. Today PC lies are FAR MORE NUMEROUS and Pervading,you can tell by how rude they are .John wayne was coo but I had NO heros at all because it's a BS system. I have been EXISTENTIALLY pissed off since 13 years old.

No I won't "RISE UP" I wait for my buddies with the funny green hats to show up and play THEY'LL handle it. If not the guys with the TAN ones are REALLY miffed(Better give them the black ones back) I'll follow them.

edit on 10-7-2014 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DutchBigBoy
I see a lot of theories about why the people are so apathic. But I am missing one big thing I always encounter in my own surroundings.

I am from The Netherlands, and most people are just busy doing that, what they want to do the most, and that is almost always doing or getting things for themselves.

This I-culture is very strong at the moment and as long as these people are not immediatly confronted with the problems around them they don't care and will go on with getting the newest items or being the most popular guy or girl in the neighborhood.

I am going to applaud you on this one, the other thing that folks seem to be missing, is that 50 - 70% are just trying to do the best we can, and support our immediate and extended family. Family seems to be the thing left out of a lot of equations.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZeuZZ
Well I have nothing to loose and am rising up now. Anyone joining me?

originally posted by: ZeuZZ
FFS

Why do people no longer get pissed off

!

Note to self: This is why you should not post when coming in drunk, Zeuzz, you massive retard.

... A rise up on a forum lololol

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
So do people think that the richest western industrial nations are going to have to wait till the # hits the fan, economically, before people rise up? I really hope this is not the case, as by then I suspect it might be too late. We do have the potential to change our current predicament, to take the money out of rich corporations buying out all of our politicians and writing all our new laws by controlling the supreme courts.

It's clearly a crisis of two things: of consciousness and conditioning. We have the technological power, the engineering skills to save our planet, to cure disease, to feed the hungry, to end war; But we lack the intellectual vision, the ability to change our minds. We must decondition ourselves from 100 years of bad behavior. And, it's not easy.
edit on 19-7-2014 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join