It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conditioned Human Apathy? Why do people no longer get pissed off? (Terence Mckenna)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectbane
a reply to: ZeuZZ
Both apathy and empathy are two of the most ridiculous traits!! I am disgusted every time I hear those words from people's face hole.

Why should we feel for our fellow man?

Because not everyone shows mild symptoms of sociopathy?
edit on 1-7-2014 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Come to Glasgow and you will see pissed off people everywhere. Generally to do with the massive influx of refugees in to our fair city, lack of accommodation and the fact that our local councils and government are bending over backwards to accommodate the Commonwealth games at the expense of our publics safety and basic freedoms.

edit on 1-7-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Sad but true - good post. *starred* as it bears repeating.

Come on Britain - wake up! This morning there was a senior police commissioner on the news giving props to the use of a water cannon. He said, and I quote: "It's better than hand-to-hand fighting..."

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: projectbane

You're one sick, twisted puppy. If the SHTF people might dispose of you quickly due to your obvious psychopathic traits.

Altruism - look it up.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: projectbane

You don't even realize what you're describing IS apathy. Without a base level of empathy, people are prone to lie, cheat, steal, kill, and in general be antisocial. When society collapses, tribalism will rule. People like you are done away with because they harm the tribe. You are very mistaken in your views.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Massive lifelong programming, lies in the media, and flouride.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

That is exactly the mentality I am talking about. The laws which are allegedly being bought in to prevent riots, will affect predominantly peaceful protest as well. It's a dangerous game that the government are playing at the moment, because the laws they are passing always have a double edge. Legislature in this country is appalling and has been for some time with regard to matters like these.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Why don't people get more pissed off, more often?

What's the use in getting angry? Have you ever known a situation where reacting in an angry manner has actually helped? I haven't. Getting "pissed off" usually tends to amp up the negative nature of the situation, whatever it might be, and only make things worse.

A better reaction is to stay calm, and concentrate on trying to make positive change where you can, while knowing that there are some things you can't alter, whether you are positive or negative about it.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: LS650
Why don't people get more pissed off, more often?

What's the use in getting angry? Have you ever known a situation where reacting in an angry manner has actually helped? I haven't. Getting "pissed off" usually tends to amp up the negative nature of the situation, whatever it might be, and only make things worse.

A better reaction is to stay calm, and concentrate on trying to make positive change where you can, while knowing that there are some things you can't alter, whether you are positive or negative about it.

Yes. Anger is a last resort, sure it's all very well to have a hippy dippy notion of spreading peace and harmony by love and peace but at some point, you just got to get mad to even be heard.

Galloway commenting on the very thing you just said.

"I think you are possibly one of the only people in the UK I know that has been able to put a positive value to anger, we live in a society where it's the great taboo, its something that people won't admit to, they will admit to depression, anxiety but not anger. Newspapers actively look out for people who loose their temper and instantly smear them"

"Well, loosing your temper is totally different from being angry. If your out of control of your anger then that that way lies danger no doubt. But controlled, forensic, indignant anger is not only a good thing, its a sinequanone of political belief. Unless you believe that the world is perfect then the situation must make to angry to an extent"

Galloway has probably been one of the few politicians that actively gets angry (with the wars, corrupt politicians, corporations, the media) regularly in the media, which is why the labour party chucked him out and the media have tried to marginalize him. This other video of the best of him vs the mainstream media is an amazing example of him getting angry with every UK news channell one at a time, winning every debate, and not ever really being invited back after. He had to create his own media platform soon after.

This is another way by which dissenting voices to the current paradigm of control are silenced, people who show emotions or make a strong point tend to be seen as dangerous and not allowed time on mainstream media platforms.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Well, I do not know what it is like in America in this regard, but these days in Britain, protestors who operate in large enough numbers to have an affect, have no power what so ever. They have have the notional right to assemble, but they have also have the right to be charged on horseback, unnecessarily beaten, for disabled protestors to be dragged from their mobility equipment and beaten, and be arrested on trumped up and unrealistic charges, not to mention getting bludgeoned so badly that they have bleeding on the brain, and have their sharp minds reduced to the dullest possible edge.

They have the right to be "kettled", to be demonised in the press rather than having their free speech supported, and frankly, protest of a sort which contains enough people to be worth while, is no longer possible without being infiltrated by undercover police, who incite behaviour legitimising virtually any response by riot officers, up to and including the use of pepper spray, and probably much worse than that nowadays I would think.

Furthermore, just being at a protest can get one arrested, and being arrested is enough to lose a person a job. Given the scarcity of gainful employment these days, it is little wonder that people are unwilling to consign themselves to a future on unemployment benefits, if they have already got some meagre income.

Frankly, the right to protest needs updating to "the right to protest without interference from the police, without any form of formal prior notification, without limitation or exception, no matter the scenario at play during the protest".

Till that happens, there will be too few people prepared to act, to make a blind bit of difference.

They very rarely get airtime too. The media has learned their lesson that the public does not fall for their trick of just focussing on the one guy out of 100,000 peaceful protesters that happens to smash a window so they can make it out to be some kind of thuggish anarchistic movement, so they simply do not cover them nowadays.

It's more likely the media would cover a story about a group of four Muslims throwing a bannana at someone british than they would cover 100,000 people protesting in the name of peace. That is literally our state of affairs at the moment
edit on 1-7-2014 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
My theory? Bread and Circuses as social control has been refined and perfected into a virtually inescapable trap.
People rebel when they have no other interests. They don't care about American Idol or a Mcrib or their favorite internet haunts. People rebel when they have nothing in their stomachs. People rebel when at any moment at all, an "authority figure" will crack their skull with a stick or a rifle butt, because the people in charge want to keep everyone subdued.

Those of us who aren't homeless (thankfully, the majority) can still eat and watch TV and go on the internet or just head out to a park and (usually) not have a cop beat us down. Many of us work in places that have health and safety regulations, timed lunch breaks and pay that, while probably not quite enough, is sufficient to see a movie, keep the lights on, have a drink from time to time and hang out with friends.

We're a long, long way from mass revolution and I find it really hard to wish differently.
"They" will always win because nobody is going to commit to a Road Warrior-esque life of violent anarchy when they could come back to a home with food, entertainment and family instead.

Instead of getting pissed off, I suggest people take heart in a quote from Albert Einstein: No problem has ever been solved by the level of thinking that created it.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma
edit on 1-7-2014 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

It raises Blood Pressure to get pi ss ed off!

That in turn can cause Cardiac Arrests!

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Well relax - you found one!

I stand up against government, often protesting and raising as much hell as one person can.

I think this is one of many problems we have on this planet - the average person being so wrapped up in his/her own problems, we ignore others and their needs.

Where is the LOVE?

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
We're so used to getting pissed on that we don't often like to get pissed off.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
For one thing, pissed off about what? The world? Everyone in the world? The entirety of governance? Pissed off about what?

Everyone's world is their own world. The idea of larger, greater, huger, bigger, things to be pissed off about is a myth, as to be pissed off about government is to be pissed off about a fiction with nothing to perceive. To be pissed off about the local government telling you to pull up your vegetable garden is reasonable and those who have encountered such actions are pissed off.

To be pissed off about "education" is silly, but to pissed off about your daughter being told to do xyz by the school is reasonable and people are pissed off about that. People are pissed off about personal actions taken by those around them against them but to be pissed off about such nebulous concepts such as capitalism or any ism is just absurd.

Can they sustain the pissed offness of the local events. NO, because the come non stop. The whole "we can change the world" stuff is just bs. No one changes the world, and no one changes it because they have dreams. You change things in your personal world but the problem with that is complicated.

People have been led to believe they are mess. They are too fat, too thin, too broke, too old, too religious, not religious enough. They spend so much time stamping out mythological fires in their own consciousness - thanks doctor fraud and his henchmen, that they see nothing but the mess their lives are.

After all that. Fluoride. For those that can understand and see such matters the fluoride in our water, juice, food, medicine, toothpaste and every other thing you consume from beer to aspirin is separating off you from the true power you have to change the reality your manifest.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Dave Meslin has a theory on this, which places our modern society as purposefully causing it. This is a link to his TED talk.
edit on 1-7-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I find I am actually getting more and more pissed off as time goes by. But the biggest gripe is that every law and official body is fully prepped not to allow people to get mad and complaining gets you no where. If something kicks off and the police arrive the first thing they like to come up with is 'if you deal with this yourself you will be a vigilantee and we don't like that'. So you can;'t act for yourself when something happens.

If you do get into some sort of altercation you daren't throw a good punch in case you are done for assault and banged up. Even kiddies in the playground get the police on them if they fall out so they are being trained not to act and simply put up with it at a very young age.

I don't think people are apathetic but there seems to be a deliberate policy of making the public as feeble as possible. We are expected to put up with things like kettling and being photographed if we want to protest for a good cause and yet its against the law to photograph the police even when they are beating up someone or doing something wrong.

I think there will be a backlash about this policy of debilitating the public though because the character of the British is not a pacifist stance and sooner or later the fuse will blow. We are at the lowest ebb of respect for our institutions and officials, especially politicians and the divide between the 'us and them' is so far apart now that sooner or later the people will break out. The more I see the politicians trying to belittle, disrespect and disempower us the more I distrust them and actually feel like getting mad and joining in on protests. Our news is already being doctored to not show too much about rallies over dissatisfaction in this country, but people are getting wise and using other media to find out about what is going on. More and more will support the fight against being belittled by the government and its puppet masters. I suspect most of us are quite ready for that day.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

People still get pissed off...about the wrong things, like if a stranger is wearing the same outfit or their coffee being too low below brim level or their iPhone battery not being able to keep up with their texting habits.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

It raises Blood Pressure to get pi ss ed off!

That in turn can cause Cardiac Arrests!

Much more likely the anger will cause arrests from law enforcement than cardiac ones.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join