It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last-minute Claims Delay Publishing of the NSA List of Americans Targeted in Domestic Spying Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
From Glenn Greenwald's Twitter feed:

After 3 months working on our story, USG today suddenly began making new last-minute claims which we intend to investigate before publishing

What I presume to be "The List", or the NSA's list of Americans targeted in their domestic spying program, was supposed to be released at midnight tonight, EST.

Now according to the tweet, the "USG" (US Government) is making last-minute claims which Greenwald et al are either choosing to evaluate, or being forced in some way to delay publishing the list.

Here is the Twitter feed. The comments bring up some interesting things to consider. Greenwald's Twitter Feed
Here is where it will be published when the time DOES come:
The Intercept: Glenn Greenwald Dispatches

I, for one, am sitting on my hands, pacing back & forth, just chomping at the bit to get my eyes on this list. Thus, this is not the news I was waiting ALL MONTH for!
edit on 30-6-2014 by kkrattiger because: Chomping not chimping. LoL

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: kkrattiger

Well with the influx of people from Mexico there are more Americans to add to the list. Heh.

Seriously though, I wonder what the hold up is. I too have been waiting for this.
edit on 1-7-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
One of the comments on the feed suggested that it's important for Greenwald & The Intercept editor(s) to evaluate whatever the claims are, so as to not be able to be accused of being reckless. whatever. It's a bit annoying and could be seen as suspect- but I have a lot of respect for Greenwald so absolutely give him the benefit of the doubt. a reply to: WakeUpBeer

edit on 1-7-2014 by kkrattiger because: TypoHs!!

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
From Wrabbit:

The only thing worse than power tripping spooks is power tripping leakers who don't even have the perspective of the people they're burning with the leaks. Release it because releasing it is the right thing to do, if that IS how they feel. Don't release it in a competition to out manipulate the manipulators. It's not only foolish beyond words...it makes the leakers no better than the scum the info was stolen from. Worse...really. The spooks can always say manipulating people and events is their job. The leakers have to explain how doing the same thing is somehow justified for whatever "ends" they seek. I'd respect the ENDS of public knowledge. I can't respect the ENDS of reformation of world events. That's a GOD complex that makes them as ugly as anything in the world.

I'm on the fence about the delays. I respect Greenwald, and his experience, but also can see it as explained by the words above.
Also, I'm worried the list will not be as comprehensive as I initially expected. I read somewhere that it is to focus on Americans who were targeted AND with whom The Intercept was able to speak. As in interview regarding how being on the list affected their lives.

If it's that limited, I think I'm in for a disappointing time reading a precision piece rather than the release of a bona fide LIST.
This is all mostly conjecture.
edit on 1-7-2014 by kkrattiger because: Respect not redpect

new topics

top topics

join