It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars One Wants to Send Your Experiments to The Red Planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Mars One who plans to have a colony on Mars starting in 2024, is now opening the gates for scientific payloads to be sent to the Red planet in as early as 2018.

The four demonstration payloads will test technologies needed for the permanent human settlement of Mars. These will include an experiment to collect Martian soil for water production, an experiment to extract water from the soil, a thin-film solar panel for energy generation and a camera system that will interface with a Mars-synchronous communications satellite that will relay live video to Earth, according to Mars One.

Mars One invites university teams from around the world to submit a proposal for a competition for the university payload. These proposals can be science experiments, technology demonstrations or "any other exciting idea," Mars One representatives said. Mars One applicants and followers will help vote to select the winning payload.

"The brightest young minds of our planet are being invited to participate in Mars One's first Mars lander," Bas Lansdorp, co-founder and CEO of Mars One, said in a statement. "We're not only looking for scientific proposals but also for outreach or educational ones."

What's even more exciting is that Mars One will leave two slots open for payloads purchased by the highest bidder. Allowing access to anyone not just NASA. Payloads of this type can be just about anything, experiment-wise, that an individual wants to send. What I want to know is what would the fair citizens of ATS send to Mars...? Check it out, ATS.

www.space.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
How about a warning beacon advising any visitors to go no further into the solar system for their own safety?

"Turn around and go back. Do not attempt contact with life forms in this star system. They are ignorant and dangerous."

Repeat ad infinitum. That's what I'd send to Mars.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
How about a warning beacon advising any visitors to go no further into the solar system for their own safety?

"Turn around and go back. Do not attempt contact with life forms in this star system. They are ignorant and dangerous."

Repeat ad infinitum. That's what I'd send to Mars.

I assume you mean that humans are "ignorant and dangerous..."

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Touche. We could be more specific, but why risk it?

Although someone has to come pick up the dolphins eventually.

edit on 6/30/14 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: lostbook

Touche. We could be more specific, but why risk it?

Although someone has to come pick up the dolphins eventually.

No need. There are Dolphin like creatures on Encelladus. At least that's what I heard.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I would send down the same ground-penetrating radar that geophysicists use in archaeological exploration of sensitive areas where they can't disturb the ground.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
I would send down the same ground-penetrating radar that geophysicists use in archaeological exploration of sensitive areas where they can't disturb the ground.

YES!! Yes!! yes!! Ground penetrating radar on Mars! The easiest way to find life, whether extant or living. You are preaching to the choir on that one.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Some sort of mini biodome.

Like the ones with a goldfish and a plant. of course a little thinking will be involved, maybe better off without the fish.

An insulated bowl with a glass top and a camera mounted in it to monitor the results.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Hope I got it right... first time I heard this (live) I almost wrecked my car... true story...

www.youtube.com...

Beware experiments in space... just sayin...

edit on 30-6-2014 by madmac5150 because: Arrrrrrrgh

edit on 30-6-2014 by madmac5150 because: What difference does it make!!

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
A chia pet
Some mold
And some algea

Also in this package, an array of cameras that we can sign up for time slots that would be operated by us.
Like 5 or so, one pointed up, the others in four general directions HD with good zooms

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I got one!
Hypotheis
Justen Beiber can not breath Martian atmosphere

Equipment:
Justen Beiber
A craft to get subject to mars

Method:
Stick Beiber into space capsule launch to mars.
Land subject on mars.
Push him out airlock
See what happens.

Prediction
Hypothesis will be true and he will go blue in the face fall to the ground pass out, soil himself and then die.

Future applications:
Way to future dispose of annoying celebrity and possibly fans. Follow up experiment can Honey boo boo survive Venusian atmosphere. Will landing Tom cruise on Jupiter core make him smaller, can bankers breath vacuum ,do stock brokers need need a pressurized containment module to live and can terrorists be resettled on titan.

edit on 2-7-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
Mars One who plans to have a colony on Mars starting in 2024, is now opening the gates for scientific payloads to be sent to the Red planet in as early as 2018.

The four demonstration payloads will test technologies needed for the permanent human settlement of Mars. These will include an experiment to collect Martian soil for water production, an experiment to extract water from the soil, a thin-film solar panel for energy generation and a camera system that will interface with a Mars-synchronous communications satellite that will relay live video to Earth, according to Mars One.

Mars One invites university teams from around the world to submit a proposal for a competition for the university payload. These proposals can be science experiments, technology demonstrations or "any other exciting idea," Mars One representatives said. Mars One applicants and followers will help vote to select the winning payload.

"The brightest young minds of our planet are being invited to participate in Mars One's first Mars lander," Bas Lansdorp, co-founder and CEO of Mars One, said in a statement. "We're not only looking for scientific proposals but also for outreach or educational ones."

What's even more exciting is that Mars One will leave two slots open for payloads purchased by the highest bidder. Allowing access to anyone not just NASA. Payloads of this type can be just about anything, experiment-wise, that an individual wants to send. What I want to know is what would the fair citizens of ATS send to Mars...? Check it out, ATS.

www.space.com...

This is good news.

I've had an idea for an experiment to extract small amounts of hydrogen and oxygen from martian soil and condense it for water or bottle it for oxygen and hydrogen (fuel) to demonstrate on a small scale how a large fuel factory could work on Mars.

I'm not an engineer though, just budding astronomy student. If I get with an engineer we could maybe make a prototype.
edit on 2-7-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join