It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsoukalos Look-Alike?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: bottleslingguy
a reply to: Box of Rain

I don't believe in alien visitation because of him. I believed in it before I even knew he existed. For me it ties up all the loose ends surrounding all these mysterious and anomalous things all around the world. And it does it simply. I don't get too hung up on specifics but as far as the general theme, yes absolutely more than likely it is true. Again my point has been that you can make fun of whoever or whatever you want, that doesn't mean the subject is false.

I didn't say you "believed in aliens" because of him.

I said you may be more apt to believe anything else specific Tsoukalos says because you feel his general notions agree with your general notions about alien visitation. (actually , I said "some people", not "you", but perhaps you may fall into that category).

That is what confirmation bias is. If you feel Tsoukoulas' and you share similar feelings about alien visitation (i.e., he and you are "kindred spirits" when it comes to aliens), then you would be more likely to believe anything else he says.

Instead of objectively looking at what Tsoukalos says about (say, for example) that the ancient Greeks learned about mathematics from aliens, someone with confirmation bias would take the fact that he is a kindred spirit as additional evidence for aliens teaching Greeks math. It's as if they say:

"Well, Tsoukalos and I think alike; therfore, if Tsoukolas believes the ancient Greeks learned what they knew about math from aliens, then I should also believe that the ancient Greeks learned math from aliens...

...and THAT is confirmation bias. Because, in reality, just because you and Tsoukalos share common ideas, that does not make the idea that ancient aliens take Greeks about mathematics any more valid.

To keep away from the fallacy of confirmation bias, you would investigate Tsoukalos' specific claims only on the merit of the specific claim itself, and not be biased by the fact that you may share some other common ideas with Tsoukalos.

As an aside (although it really isn't that pertinent to this conversation), I sometimes think that Tsoukalos doesn't really believe half the stuff he says, and just says those things because it makes for good TV -- and more importantly gets him back on TV over and over again.

But that's just my opinion, and my opinion is irrelevant because it doesn't really matter if Tsoukalos himself believes in the stuff he says. The evidence is the evidence, and it speaks for itself, whether Tsoukalos believes what he says or if he doesn't believe it.

edit on 7/12/2014 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I sometimes think that Tsoukalos doesn't really believe half the stuff he says, and just says those things because it makes for good TV -- and more importantly gets him back on TV over and over again.

You just said what I was thinking. It must be true!

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian
Heck, I could come here with the dorkiest screen name and profile picture ever and act like I know what I am talking about and confirm everything you say about aliens. You would eat it up. It would be too easy. The gullible are easy targets.

Please, please do it.

But you better make it funny.

Harte

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian
Heck, I could come here with the dorkiest screen name and profile picture ever and act like I know what I am talking about and confirm everything you say about aliens. You would eat it up. It would be too easy. The gullible are easy targets.

Please, please do it.

But you better make it funny.

Harte

I don't know if I can come up with anything funnier than Giorgio. Way too easy though and in the end, just mean. But some people deserve it don't they? Just stay on your toes!

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian
I don't think you can get much dorkier than YouTube's genius interviewer Kyle:

YouTube

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   

did you read the part where I said "my point is..."?

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ectoplasm8

YouTube
Gee thanks. I was up all night watching his videos and now I cant stop talking like that.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Again my point has been that you can make fun of whoever or whatever you want, that doesn't mean the subject is false.

That's your point? True, Ancient Aliens and goofy hair are mutually exclusive. Ancient Aliens as a "theory" fails all on its own. Giorgio's hair does that because he uses a lot of product. Giorgio uses his goofy hair to sell his show. The stranger he looks, the more ratings the show gets. People watch his show because its a joke.

IT'S A JOKE!

Be mad at Giorgio, not the people pointing it out.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ectoplasm8

YouTube

That's Kyle Mooney -- who (for United States TV viewers) is now on "Saturday Night Live" and in the "Framily" AT&T wireless commercials along with Judy Greer (Judy Greer, from Arrested Development, and who provides the voice of Carol/Cheryl/Cherlene on Archer).

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Yes I did. You wrote:

my point has been that you can make fun of whoever or whatever you want, that doesn't mean the subject is false.

And you are right about that. However, in the case of Tsoukalos, it is NOT making fun of his hair and tan that makes me think what he says holds very little merit; rather, it is because what he says.

Tsoukalos has never really said anything that has never been considered before. We all sit around playing the 'what if" game. For example, "what if" aliens visited the earth in the past. That's a fun general thought, but hardly an original one by Tsoukalos - and his specific thoughts on the subject are just as unoriginal. He throws around these ideas and innuendo, but doesn't really back them up with any hard evidence.

THAT'S why I make fun of the guy. His "what if's" are not really evidence that ancient aliens visited Earth. The fact that he also chooses to look ridiculous in the process is just a bonus.

Sure - everyone likes the fun and cool alternative theories (I know I do), but just because a theory is fun/cool/alternative does not make it any more true. Sometimes the truth is more mundane. Although I wouldn't necessarily call all of the engineering feats of ancient humans "mundane", but I would call them "human" engineering feats.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I have met Giorgio in person. He is no more alien than I am.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join