It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Durbin: Obama Will 'Borrow the Power' to Solve Immigration

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Yes, Yes, That's The title, I'm Not Joking!

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) says President Barack Obama, “will borrow the power that is needed to solve the problems of immigration.”

My husband isn't home, so I had to get my pocket Constitution and the Constitution I studied for my Citizenship and I Looked and Looked and Looked for a Amendment or Provision that allowed this!
Please, I could not find such a thing as Borrow Power,,,, Is This Administration Completely NUTS or do the Democrats Really Believe we're That Stupid and Dumb Down!!

Durbin made the comments at a press briefing on immigration last Thursday urging House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) to bring an immigration bill onto the floor for a vote.

"I don't know how much more time he thinks he needs, but I hope that Speaker Boehner will speak up today," Durbin said. "And if he does not, the president will borrow the power that is needed to solve the problems of immigration and he shouldn’t be sued as a result of it."

Link

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: guohua

Is This Administration Completely NUTS or do the Democrats Really Believe we're That Stupid and Dumb Down!!

No you aren't that stupid, neither am I....They just know there isn't a DAMN thing anyone will do, like usual....And they will keep doing this over and over until the people stand up against them! Which, by the way, won't happen! I wish it would, but it won't and people will forget about this by tomorrow and finish dancing with the stars with the wife and kid on tivo

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
That's kind of like "Pinky Swear".

Or, like having your fingers crossed.

What a mess...

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

You've made a very good point. The only thing that'll keep this fresh in American's Minds is to be hit in the Pocket Book, the Wallet, take food from their children.
They fail to understand, the over loading or our educational and welfare systemn well do just that.

Here is another article.

The Obama administration is "not bluffing" in its intent to take executive action on immigration policy if House Republicans don't act soon, top Democratic leaders warned Thursday.

President Obama has delayed any potential changes to his deportation policy to allow House GOP leaders time to bring legislation to the floor this summer. But if the Republicans don't act in July, the Democrats say, unilateral changes by Obama are inevitable.

"We're at the end of the line," Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) said Thursday during a press briefing in the Capitol. "We're not bluffing by setting a legislative deadline for them to act.

"Their first job is to govern," Menendez added, "and in the absence of governing, then you see executive actions."

No, No, No, their Job is the Listen To the Will of The People First and Foremost Mr. Menedez You A$$hole, Get It Right or Get another Job!

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) piled on. Noting that a year has passed since the Senate passed a sweeping immigration reform bill with broad bipartisan support, he urged House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) to bring a similar bill to the floor.

"I don't know how much more time he thinks he needs, but I hope that Speaker Boehner will speak up today," Durbin said. "And if he does not, the president will borrow the power that is needed to solve the problems of immigration."

Borrow From Whom and Can This Criminal in Chief Be Trusted To Return The Power, NO!
The Hill

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

nm
edit on thMon, 30 Jun 2014 16:01:40 -0500America/Chicago620144080 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

You can thank Boehner for his inaction over the last year that has pushed an immediate need for executive actions.

According to the Democratic lawmakers and the Obama administration, however, there is one month left for the House to take action on immigration reform. “A year has gone by. I don’t know how much more time he thinks he needs. But I hope that Speaker Boehner will speak up today, and if he does not, the President will borrow the power that is needed to solve the problems of immigration – and he shouldn't be sued as a result of it,” Illinois Sen. Richard Durbin said.

Thursday, New York Sen. Chuck Schumer said that Boehner can preempt further executive action by bringing immigration reform to the floor. “Well, Speaker Boehner has a very good antidote to what he fears: put a bill on the floor,” Schumer said.

So from the republicans inability to act gives the president the ability to act because congress isn't doing their jobs.

Boehner and House Republicans have balked at the idea of immigration reform this year, saying they do not trust Obama to enforce any law they pass.

Link

You cant just blame Obama when its all the damn members of congress that cant agree on anything but yearly wage raises.

edit on 6/30/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/30/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

Don't bring up that other people have a hand in this shane, obviously this topic needs to get posted 3 times in 2 hour so we can all bash the man actually taking action, the same one they get mad at for not taking action.

The "new" section is another great search btw, will show you what has been posted recently.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This is definitely a catch 22.

On one hand I do not like Obama using executive actions to get things done. I understand it has it's uses...but this is not one of those cases where I believe it should be used.

On the other, it seems the Republicans are purposely dragging their feet in order to force Obama to act.....and then will make a big stink about him taking action.

So it's hard to say which side is trying to do the right thing.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

If he can borrow power to change laws, than so can we in exchange!

F-That!!!!

What is good for the goose is good for the gander. There is nothing that gives the President that authority, executive orders or not. Since there is nothing granting him that power, and he bestows it upon himself, than we should be able to do the same exact thing right now and kick his ass, bare-knuckle, right on the White House lawn.

Democrat or Republican, makes no difference. The Constitution and 3 branches of Government are there to prevent this. Executive Orders are NOT law.

An executive order of the President must find support in the Constitution, either in a clause granting the President specific power, or by a delegation of power by Congress to the President.

Source - 343 U.S. 579, 585. Antieau, Modern Constitutional Law,§13:24

~Namaste

edit on 30-6-2014 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-6-2014 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

people will forget about this by tomorrow

Like the VA scandal?

Notice how this immigration problem and ISIS kinda made it all go away?

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

That it is. Its almost as if one side is manipulating the other to act just to be able to say; you went and mucked it all up again.

Doh: They are doing that. Man im silly some times.

I guess my point is this is nothing new, they have been doing this since the beginning.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I'm not going to Google each of those for you, but the reasons they were not acted on is that the extra added PORK.
Yes, Pork added to the bill that could not be accepted by either parties and of-course the Democrats do what they do best, Blame the Republicans.

The biggest reason is Most Americans Do Not Want a Mass Amnesty, it was done before in 86 I believe with the promise that the Border would be Secured, It Wasn't.

WASHINGTON, May 22 — Day in and day out, as the immigration debate boils, the halls of Congress are haunted by the specter of Senate Bill 1200, the failed amnesty legislation of 1986.

President Ronald Reagan signed that bill into law with great fanfare amid promises that it would grant legal status to illegal immigrants, crack down on employers who hired illegal workers and secure the border once and for all. Instead, fraudulent applications tainted the process, many employers continued their illicit hiring practices, and illegal immigration surged.

Today, senators who hope to put the nation's illegal immigrants on a path to citizenship say they have learned from the past. But some members of Congress and former immigration officials fear history will repeat itself.

Failed Amnesty

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I guess some of you don't know that when the legislative branch fails to act on an issue that been tabled that it defaults to the executive branch to correct that issue however it sees fit.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

We could try something completely new. Lets just follow the law, thats all most citizens of the republic want. If they are here illegally send them back. Seems pretty simple really. Then fix the border so they can't cross over so easily, theres a thought. Problem solved, we act like adults, don't blame anyone else, be the bigger man and fix the problem.

This is like a plumbing leak in the basement, nevermind fixing the leak lets stand in the water and complain we are getting wet.

The Obama doctrine seems to be help everyone but the tax paying worker.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

The thing that really bothers me is that if the Republicans are so gung-ho about this immigration issue,(which you can see they are considering the talking points and media hype surrounding this...or perhaps it's all just a fake show to pander to their base) then why aren't they jumping all over this?

I wonder what Obama is expected to do when you have one side of congress that will not even bring their solutions to the table for discussion.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Don't bring up that other people have a hand in this shane, obviously this topic needs to get posted 3 times in 2 hour so we can all bash the man actually taking action, the same one they get mad at for not taking action.

The "new" section is another great search btw, will show you what has been posted recently.

You've made your point, I used the Search Function Three times with different titles.
If it has hurt your feelings so badly that your Messiah and his Minions have once again Open Mouth and Insert Foot, I Can't Help that!
Try another Party or stay away from the political threads.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Ohh lord. That was damn near thirty years ago. Regan is not in power and im not sure but i bet less than ten percent of the congress in that era are still there.

Sounds like a poor excuse to not act if i ever heard one.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

I point you to Exhibit A

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: shaneslaughta
I guess some of you don't know that when the legislative branch fails to act on an issue that been tabled that it defaults to the executive branch to correct that issue however it sees fit.

With that being said, don't you see how it is staged for the benefit of our almighty dictator?

All Obama has to say to Harry is, "Hey Dirty, we got the Senate so just stonewall anything coming from the House and then I can get my way.

Maybe that is what he meant when he said he was going to "fundamentally change America"?

Woo Hoo, Cloward an Piven here we come!!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

It's not quite that simple. You have generations of illegal immigrants that are in this country and someone will have to be responsible for breaking up those families. Let's also not forget that mass deportation would be a logistical nightmare. How are we going to get all of these people back home and who is going to pay for it?

There is no way it could be done and the people in DC know it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join