It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: Admission: U.S. Knew of Suspected Iraq Abuse in 2003

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
An addition to the Abuse Scandal that is the source of continued frustration and even shame for a country at war. Though this will not come as a shock to anyone, because most have known this for some time now. However today U.S. officials confirmed that they knew about the abuse of Iraqi prisoners as much as four months before the abuse was made public in television photos that shocked the entire world.

Yahoo/Reuters Full Article

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senior U.S. Army generals in Iraq were told in December 2003 that special operations troops and CIA personnel were suspected of abusing Iraqi prisoners -- four months before the scale of prisoner abuse became public in television photos that shocked the world.

The December 2003 report on suspected prisoner abuse, confirmed by U.S. officials on Wednesday, also showed the U.S. leadership in Iraq had clues about prisoner treatment before photographs of detainees being abused at Abu Ghraib jail emerged within the military in the middle of January. But officials disputed the notion that the warning had been ignored.

"It's indicative that there were some troubling signs, and actions were taken early on. It got overcome by other investigations (after the Abu Ghraib abuse became known). But it was not ignored," an Army official said.

Abuse Slide Show

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Anyone shocked by this news?

Why now after all of this time are these U.S. officials confirming what many have suspected all along?

Could this case be on the verge of being exposed at a much deeper level than anyone had hoped would ever be made public?

Perhaps a pre-emptive strike?

Yeah we knew about it ... so what?

Stay tuned!

Complete ATSNN Abuse Crisis Coverage:

Iraqi Abuse Crisis

[edit on 1-12-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Uh, that is not news. It was told back in the beginning that their were reports of this going on and they were in the process of investigating. The story broke because the military told us what had been going on.

Where's the conspiracy? Where's the big deal, anyway? They weren't tortured, they were embarassed.
They shouldn't be nearly as embarassed as the guy who got that tramp pregnant, if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Its not a surprise, but the investigation seems to have not gone above the NCO level. Sure a few higher rank officers had thier carrers cut short, but no generals nobody at the Pentagon seems to be taking the responsability for this whole debacle.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Where's the conspiracy? Where's the big deal, anyway? They weren't tortured, they were embarassed.

You shouldn't believe just what the government allows you to see, but check-out the boring stuff in text. It's been re-hashed over and over, I won't go into it, but reported rape, and documented murder, goes beyond embarrassment. Google the Senate seeing hours of video and photographs that weren't released to the public. Read Seymor Hersh's articles in the "New Yorker". If you believe just what you saw was all that happened, you're just being naive.

[edit on 2-12-2004 by curme]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:09 AM
link   
While those soldiers being held out as the source of all evil at Abu Ghraib no doubt earned their dubious distinction and whatever comes of it, I remain very suspicious that this whole business was run by the spooks -- who will not be held accountable for their actions.

No, I cannot prove anything, but the distinctive signs are all there, and ignoring the public claims of literally everyone known to be involved in this scandal that U.S. intelligence agents ordered and supervised systematic abuse at Abu Ghraib (and elsewhere) only goes so far.

There is a lot more to this story than has been overplayed in the world press, but I doubt anyone here will ever see proof of it.

Instead, we must speculate about what actually happened then, what is actually happening now, and what will happen in the future as these same agencies continue using these techniques with impunity.

Perhaps what bothers me most is how uncertain I am of whether I have a problem with that. How would I feel about it after another successful nuclear, chemical or biological attack kills thousands more of my fellow Americans? Should we wait for that to happen? When should the gloves come off?

These are questions I hope I won't have definitive answers to anytime soon, but it would be utter folly to assume the U.S. won't be struck again.

If a major U.S. city becomes a smoking crater, our enemies will long for days like these when we were so forgiving, and soul-searching like this will become a distant, nostalgic memory.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Nietzsche said it best...

"Ye who fight the monstrosities of the Abyss, beware...for not only do you look into it, the Abyss looks into you."

Sometimes I think that America has forgotten its humanity. I see you all advocating abuse and torture of suspected terrorists. Few bother to make the distinction between insurgent and terrorist, civilian and combatant, friend and foe. It's as if everything has suddenly become black and white. Where does it end?

Maybe you should legalize the torture of these suspected terrorists...since you've stripped them of almost all other rights. It would save the trouble and expense of sending them to some third-world hellhole, right?

The American public has for too long been bombarded with images of war, propaganda, and whipped into a blind fervor. Perhaps it is time that you all stand back, take a breath breath, and re-evaluate your place in the world. Look int your country's history in the past hundred years. I used to be pro American, once upon a time. Now, I look upon the united states with horror, and say to myself, "What have you become?"

DE

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I believe if you read this article:

www.atsnn.com...

and the documents behind it, you'll see this isn't new news.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I believe if you read this article:

www.atsnn.com...

and the documents behind it, you'll see this isn't new news.

Indeed Val, This isn't new news!

However the above report which I posted by Yahoo/Reuters is new news.. In a way. Dated Dec. 1, 2004.

In the first paragraph I have written I said this was not new news!

However having Govenment and Military Officials confirm this news on December 1, 2004. I thought was worthy of a write up and a report here in ATSNN.

Gazz

[edit on 2-12-2004 by UM_Gazz]

top topics

join