It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hobby Lobby wins Supreme Court case, limits the ACA contraception mandate

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SourGrapes

How is HL limiting options for some women and not others?

The SCOTUS ruling only applies to some women, women who happen to be employed by religious fundies.

They don't want to provide four of the twenty contraceptives outlined in Obamacare. How is this limiting?

It doesn't matter that Hobby Lobby says only 4 contraception methods are abominable, another company, own by a devout Catholic, for example, can prohibit all birth control for their female employees, now. However, the women who work down the street at the competition get full coverage, because their boss is religiously tolerant.

See?

And now, with this ruling, the tax payer will have to pay for the disparagement of services that those religious employers refuse to. Because, the ACA guarantees that women who have health care coverage are entitled to free contraception, even the methods that HL hates.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jason88
a reply to: thesaneone

I know fear, and when laws change, yes I get scared because that's real life stability in the US. We are firmly out of the conspiracy realm and into a place that is un-chartered, and in the hands of those who's charter it is to make money at any cost. You have know idea, do you. Is this a political game? Because it's your life too.

This is not uncharted territory. We are where we were pre-ACA. Businesses could decide what to plans to offer their employees, what was covered, etc. All this ruling creates is a precedent that the government can't compel a privately held company to buy things that violate their beliefs. Tell me how this could spiral out of control? Know that I was in pre-law for a while before changing career paths, so I have a pretty good handle on stare decisis and how law is interpreted in the courts.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Jason88

I agree bad change is ahead but not because of this ruling no sir and if you don't believe me then you have been asleep for far too long.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

IUD's are the MOST effective ...long term birth control methods. They have an accuracy rate of about 99.9%. I had an employee who was battling cancer and chemo ..she was married. Am I so bold as to tell her not to have sex in her marriage and it's against my religion for her to use birth control?

Who are we to judge and decide what's right for everyone else ? People really need to mind their own business.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

How is HL limiting options for some women and not others?

The SCOTUS ruling only applies to some women, women who happen to be employed by religious fundies.

They don't want to provide four of the twenty contraceptives outlined in Obamacare. How is this limiting?

It doesn't matter that Hobby Lobby says only 4 contraception methods are abominable, another company, own by a devout Catholic, for example, can prohibit all birth control for their female employees, now. However, the women who work down the street at the competition get full coverage, because their boss is religiously tolerant.

See?

No they can't prohibit birth control for their female employees. They can refuse to pay for it. It sounds like these women will be looking for another job if the contraceptives not offered are high on their priority list. Just like I would look for another job if low deductible plans were high on my priority list. Or if the environment wasn't what I found ideal, or if I found a place with a better compensation package that I like better, etc.

The women aren't forced to work for companies that don't provide them with these things. The government WAS trying to force the companies to provide them with these things. See the difference there?

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: paleorchid13

IUD's are the MOST effective ...long term birth control methods. They have an accuracy rate of about 99.9%. I had an employee who was battling cancer and chemo ..she was married. Am I so bold as to tell her not to have sex in her marriage and it's against my religion for her to use birth control?

Who are we to judge and decide what's right for everyone else ? People really need to mind their own business.

Yep, Get out of my health insurance! but foot the bill. Oh wait....

ETA:
The best part is; there was a loophole where businesses could just give their employees an allowance to go buy health insurance on the exchanges, which would have avoided this violation of religious freedom by allowing the individual to buy the insurance themselves on the exchanges rather than having the employer buy the insurance, but the obama administration closed that loophole.
edit on 30-6-2014 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Have you heard of Maslow's hierarchy of needs?
I hate to go all scholastic on ya ..but sex is a biological need ..no matter how dirty you religious folk wanna paint it.
It's like eating, or sleeping ......sooner or later you'll be dreaming about a love partner or sex .

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I love your world - it's perfect. People are upwardly mobile, plenty of competition, lots of jobs and opportunity, no bad luck, bills get paid - nothing stopping the hard working wo/man for getting to the top. Sign me up - please.
edit on 30-6-2014 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Ummm... yeah, what SHE said!

people need to mind their own business!

You DO realize that it IS your business what you are willing to fork over to other people, what you are willing to pay for, don't you?

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Wow, so many liberals tweeting that Hobby Lobby should be burned to the ground. Didn't anyone tell them that the contraceptives they are seeking are still available to them via their doctor or planned parenthood clinic?

I fully agree with SCOTUS' decision, and I'm pleased. Even though I don't shop at Hobby Lobby or necessarily support what they believe in, I don't believe a business should have to supply a product that doesn't line up with their values. Just as I don't support forcing a baker, to bake a cake for a gay couple.

I was reading an article about how an actor for the show True Blood, has been bashed because he doesn't want to perform a homosexual scene. His character has been completely trashed by the left, and he has been called a homophobe. The actor may be fired from his job. Okay. What about a gay actor, who does not want to participate in a heterosexual scene?

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Has anyone gone to their local Hobby Lobby and asked the women that work there how they feel about this insurance plan?
The one I go to, most of the women are long past needing any contraceptive at all. The young girls- late teens/early twenties- those are the ones the decision would effect. The young woman I spoke to was more concerned about making a Disney princess costume than running out and piling a shopping cart full of contraceptives. Some might think thst type of person backward, depending on where you are from, but around here, it's accepted as normal.
Look at the workers this store attracts. That's who being effected. As someone posted earlier, there's Christian music playing, and the cashiers aren't pulling out their hair over it.
I'm in Ohio, we have a strong Baptist strain in this region. There are gothy type girls working there, also, but they might be artsy types, the employee discount might be more desired than the four disallowed contraceptions. None of the workers seemed to have left during this controversy, I keep seeing the same girls.
I'll have to stop by sometime this week and see if they've all ran away to other jobs.
Can someon tell me about the Hobby Lobby in their area? What are the workers like? How do they feel about this decision?
edit on 30-6-2014 by TheCounselor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I hate to go all scholastic on ya ..but sex is a biological need ..no matter how dirty you religious folk wanna paint it.
It's like eating, or sleeping ......sooner or later you'll be dreaming about a love partner or sex .

Food is a need, even moreso than sex. Why aren't you railing against evil employers for not offering food as pay for their employees?

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

No they can't prohibit birth control for their female employees. They can refuse to pay for it.

You're right. They can refuse to offer their employees a certain range of reproductive options, that other women are entitled to get for free.

But, it's the insurance companies that are mandated to provide the coverage, free of charge, not the employer. Let's say that your employer offered compensation in the form of an you an all you can eat dinner at "Home Town Buffet" as compensation for a job well done. But, when you get there you are limited as what items can you put on your plate, because of your employer's taste. It's not Home Town Buffet limiting your options, it's your employer.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

It is so strange to me how liberal woman are the first to scream "hands off my body, hands off my womb", but they are the first to want to enforce government to supply free abortions and birth control.

Hobby Lobby still offers 16 contraceptives. If you work for them, and you can't get what you need from their insurance provider, be an adult and

1. go to a doctor or clinic for a script that has a sliding scale fee
2. pay for it yourself
3. find another employer whose insurance provider matches up with your needs, and your personal values

I guess it's easier to throw tantrums and cry about what you're not getting, rather than grow up and be an adult and deal with things rationally.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jason88

I love your world - it's perfect. People are upwardly mobile, plenty of competition, lots of jobs and opportunity, no bad luck, bills get paid - nothing stopping the hard working wo/man for getting to the top. Sign me up - please.

In my state the unemployment rate is 4%
Competition is fierce (I know, I've tried a few business ventures in different sectors)
People throughout the US are upwardly mobile. 73% of people will reach the top 20% of income earners for at least 1 year. (www.aei-ideas.org...)< br /> There's bad luck everywhere, sorry to burst the bubble.
If you live in America and in one of the more successful states (read, republican) you're already signed up. Now just go for it.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

No, it's not a "biological need". Maslow dealt with psychology, not biology. You will die without food or sleep - you will not die from lack of sex.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

In my state the unemployment rate is 4%

Again your world - I love it. Please share!

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

Look, if it were up to me I'd hand out birth control like it was it's own holiday ..I'd put it in the water supply. I've seen too many woman have kids because they think it will keep a man there ...or they're just delusional. A person I know ..her 16 and 14 year old daughters got pregnant on purpose ....It's like a bad episode of 16 and pregnant.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Tatanka

The ACA has NO mandate for abortion. Abortion is NOT covered under the ACA.... PERIOD!

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

No they can't prohibit birth control for their female employees. They can refuse to pay for it.

You're right. They can refuse to offer their employees a certain range of reproductive options, that other women are entitled to get for free.

But, it's the insurance companies that are mandated to provide the coverage, free of charge, not the employer. Let's say that your employer offered compensation in the form of an you an all you can eat dinner at "Home Town Buffet" as compensation for a job well done. But, when you get there you are limited as what items can you put on your plate, because of your employer's taste. It's not Home Town Buffet limiting your options, it's your employer.

Funny you should mention this, the company I work for is sponsoring a few teams in different sports in our states' corporate games. The guy sitting next to me wanted to participate in the target shooting event. When he signed up, this is the email he received: "Unfortunately, due to company policy, we will not be participating in any events that involve guns."

Also, the military does this all of the time, we would go out to a lunch, guess what? No alcohol on the military's dime!

So this sort of "discrimination" happens all of the time. it's not discrimination, it's simply businesses being ran by people as they see fit.

new topics

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join