It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is wrong with the world ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I agree with the sentiment of 3rd world compared to 1st world problems. I gave up my emotional dependence on material things a long time ago, but I find that without material obsession, life becomes entirely pointless. I envy those who can find beauty in the natural things, but I cannot. I enjoy music, but it does not satiate my being; it is but a moments reprieve from my mental acrobatics. I agree that we should let go of the things we can't control, however, then we have to find the things we can control. I ponder......I realize nothing is in my control and that life is a montage of experiences that I am forced to make decisions over.

People like to say they live for love, however the only woman I've ever loved was taken from me.... How can anyone find beauty in a world where decay, deceit, and destruction is law, but love, light, and truth have to be fought for until a bitter end? People like to say "your life is what you make of it". If that were true, then I would have absolute control over it, but we don't. We have no control over ANYthing other then our own reactions. Reactions do not define or create anything; they are compulsory, removing the semblance of real choice. If we think really hard about anything we've ever done in this life, we will always come back to a single motivating factor and I guarantee you it wasn't an original thought, but a reaction. A desire that wells up inside of us in response to an experience, nothing more or less.

So I have to ask the questions....what are we living for if not for these impulsive reactions? Just to live? Just to exist? What makes us cling to life as if it is the end all and be all?

If this life is all there is, I would rather be the breath of a being whom actually causes to exist, then to be that which exists solely to exist.... Once you put life into such a perspective, the traditions of men become nothing more then children's games, colloquialisms.....cultural falsehoods perpetuated to protect ancient hubris.....utterly irrelevant bordering on idiotic.

I challenge anyone to come up with a more applicable (rational) perspective conducive to a happier outlook on life. I would really prefer not to think this way.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Iseestars

What is wrong with the world?

Nothing. The planet is spinning, and it's core is active, tidal forces continue to act on its oceans, and it's seasons progress without undue impediment.

There is a lot wrong with the human race, and how it manages its existence with regard to balance with, and understanding of the natural world, and indeed, how factions within the species deal with their fellow human beings as well.

There are no simple fixes for the issues that prevail, but whether one chooses to live despite the issues without an attempt to mitigate for them, or whether one chooses to take up a cause and advocate for it, preferably for the betterment of all, rather than an individual society, is rather a matter for the person making the choice.

What I would say, is that a life lived purely for the betterment of oneself might seem appealing, but it is a lonely path to tread. I value my connections with the people I love, far more than a value my own company, and acts of selfishness which do nothing for my people as a whole. For example, yesterday, I was so tired and angry at being woken early on Sunday (my day off) that I spent the whole day with my underpants on back to front. Despite that, when a friend invited me to go to a folk music festival (although I would have preferred to stay at home), off I went, and as it happens had a great time with good people, regardless of the incorrect orientation of my undergarments.

One cannot always live selfishly, and with joy. In fact, often times, the opposite effect prevails.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join