It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ramadan or Pride Week?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
In the Western world right now in such places as NY, Houston, Toronto, many are celebrating Pride week. Where it's encouraged to wear S&M clothing, act loud and obnoxious, basically do whatever you feel like and don't think of the repercussions.

Meanwhile in the East where many of the 1.8B muslims reside they have just ended their 1st day of an 1 month excursion known as Ramadan. A time where you fast from eating or drinking water from dawk to dusk, no alchohol, smoking or sexual relationships in this time. They are encouraged not to swear or talk in vain and reflect on their past sins and ask for forgiveness.

How things can be so different between places across a pond. I guess my question would have to be which one do you agree with or think is right and which isn't? Either way it's something to think about.
edit on 29-6-2014 by cass1dy09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: cass1dy09

As long as you are not breaking the law or getting into other people's business I do not have a problem with either.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

All i see is two contrasting lifestlyes (yes..lifestyles) BUT both equally as ridiculous as each other!!

I do however think Ramadan should be placed in a higher category of importance than silly pride week!!

Its been around far longer and has a far more interesting history!!

IMO Pride week is gross and obnoxious and NO cause for celebration. Straight people do not have a Straight week, why? Because we don't feel the need to jump in peoples faces and cause uproar for NO reason and we do not feel the need to celebrate the fact we sleep with women. To me, Heterosexuality seems to be more dignified compared to how homosexuality is promoted through pride week!!

But to all gays, enjoy pride week!!

edit on 29-6-2014 by projectbane because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
i dont see why i would stop having sex or fast. id do it for protest i suppose. but in the states you can speak your mind and wear what you want as long as you are within the law. take pride that you have the freedom to to so.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Why do you think things are so "different"? Which do you think is right and which isn't?
Part of the thread is your opinion as well. Especially if you are going to as us ours

Could it be that that pond you speak of is rather large and might have 2 completely different cultures on either side of it?
And i would say both are right, if that is what people want to do then let them do it.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
If you are talking about the Middle East, rather than the East? In many cases they don't truly have a choice. Were they to not follow their religions mandates and chose to follow a different path, they may even risk death, imprisonment or torture.

Here we chose what we do and are free to do so.

That would be the true comparison in my mind.

As the previous poster stated, as long as its legal and not interfering with the Rights of others its all good.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
You would say shutting down a major downtown city street for a flamboyant parade wouldn't intrude in somebody else's business per say?

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: cass1dy09
You would say shutting down a major downtown city street for a flamboyant parade wouldn't intrude in somebody else's business per say?

I can see Manhattan from my house and I am frequently in the City. Weekdays for business and weekends for fun.

The only time I recall a parade shutting down traffic during the week was for the troops after the First Gulf War and the Yankees World Series parades.

Everyone who lives around here knows that there are near weekly events that cause some of the major (and minor) Avenues to be closed. We just tune in the news channels to get the update and avoid the area or take mass transit. I lost track of the number of parades and events that take place in New York now.

Edit to add: You want a couple of parades to avoid in my opinion? The St. Patrick's Day parade and the Puerto Rican Day parade. Both are filled with drunken idiots fighting and generally behaving badly on the sidewalks.

edit on 29-6-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Middle East, Southeast Asia, Europe. I'm talking about the opposite of the western world basically. My opinion is that of projectbane's. No need for celebration. But would I want muslim's kneeling in our city corners here and praying toward the mecca, no also.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Huh? Ramadan doesn't adhere to our calendar. Pride week does though.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

But would I want muslim's kneeling in our city corners here and praying toward the mecca, no also.

Do you have a problem with Christmas Carolers as well?

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Lol at your attempt at saying the pride parade is bad, if you dont like it dont go, and dont mary a gay person, thats about all ive got for you.

And for ramadan i dont believe in santa claus.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Huh? Ramadan doesn't adhere to our calendar. Pride week does though.

Replace Ramadan with Easter or Christmas and here lies the problem.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
We should combine the two.

Gaymadan.

Or, if we waited for a coronation, we could call it. . .

Gaymadan Rex.

And then have dinosaurs as mascots.

Or, we could just let people be people. Let those who worship, worship. Have those that want to celebrate, celebrate.

But I am digging on the whole dinosaur theme.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

Lol at your attempt at saying the pride parade is bad, if you dont like it dont go, and dont mary a gay person, thats about all ive got for you.

And for ramadan i dont believe in santa claus.

I didn't include my opinion for this reason not trying to make this my personal differences with pride or praying as much as I am trying to point out the fact of what action's by people are taking place at the same time in different regions. Good vs Evil if you will.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Which one is the good one and which one is the evil one?

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Good vs Evil if you will.

And which is which?

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

So since they disagree with what you think they lose their constitutional right of life liberty and happiness?
1st amendment pretty much disagrees with everything you stand for.
The cause for celebration is the fact that they have the ability and right to celebrate without prosecution...
If you want to start a straight week parade every year, go nuts. Just make you go through all the proper channels that the pride org did/does.

And what does it bother you that they are praying?

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
not enough ppl celebrate ramadan in the states so it probably wouldn't be acknowledged as a holiday. hell lets get a week off for all religions that way no one would work.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Different parts of the world celebrate different things based on the culture of that particular area of the world.

The planet is a stewing pot of many flavours.

It's just people celebrating this thing called "life".

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join